Do most people take/leave something, or is it just the thrill of the hunt?

djtilton

My wife and I just started last week and have found zero- yup- that's right- zero- caches so far. We were lucky to have a few within a mile of our house, but they're micros so we failed miserably, but we're not giving up and we think we've learned how to better use the GPSr, so we're looking forward to some success next weekend.

Question- we're kind of in it for the hunt and seek. That may change after we find a few, but just curious, do most people take something/leave something? I know the whole meaning of the word "cache" is like a treasure trove, and I do like me some plundering, but do a lot of folks juts sign the log and look for the next one, or do most partake in the take/leave part? Just curious.....

-Danny

Most of the time we sign the log and don't take anything. If a cache doesn't have any 'quality items' we help it out by dropping some swag in it that we always have with us. The exception is when our kids are with us and there is something they just have to get. Then, we always trade equal or better.

EDIT. Cache contents vary from cache to cache. Sometimes there are very nice items and sometimes it looks like things you would find in a parking lot. We feel it is more about the Journey then the swag. But, it is nice to see well stocked and maintained caches.

Edited by WatchDog2020

I'm in it for the hunt and rarely trade. I do bring a few trade items along in case I find something I actually would want, or if the cache contents need freshening up.

Trading or not, I still like opening the container and looking through the contents.

Same here.

Ditto.

I do leave behind a signature item for the owner though.

The thrill of the hunt is a big part of it, but lately I've been going after larger "forest" caches that are generally larger than the profusion of micros and nanos the urban hides use.

I carry a swag bag and almost always trade something if the cache has swag in it. Almost all of it is useless "McToys", but sometimes it's useful. I try to include useful stuff, but sometimes it's just a different bauble. The fun is in finding new stuff I've never seen, not actual value.

I rarely trade. Never really have. I do need to refresh my "swag bag," however, as I sometimes like to just drop things in the cache for the sake of doing so.

I do trade for signature items. I'll leave mine and take one if there are good ones. I also will leave my signature item at caches that they can be left in and ones I really enjoy.

I know people who trade a lot and others who don't. If I see something of interest, I'll trade, but it's rare outside of the sig items.

I'm in it for the hunt and rarely trade. I do bring a few trade items along in case I find something I actually would want, or if the cache contents need freshening up.

Trading or not, I still like opening the container and looking through the contents.

Same here.

Ditto.

I do leave behind a signature item for the owner though.

Yup. We have our swag bag with us and will leave something in caches we've enjoyed finding. Pretty much leave a sig item in any cache large enough. Very rarely find anything I'd like to take, but mrs_rockmetteller likes bubble rings :( . For the most part, I sign the log and move on.

It could go either way for us. We carry a fairly well stocked swag bag and if there is something of interest we will trade for it. Sometimes we just enjoy the hunt, sign the log and move on. TB and coins always get our interest and will usually be moved on if we can help the stated mission.

edited for clarification

Edited by DiamondDaveG

We've always been traders. After more than four years, the trading never gets old -- it's just part of the fun of caching. We've got bins and bins of things we have traded for over the years; I like rummaging through them and recalling where they came from, or seeing if any would make good travel bugs.

For me, one of the best parts of trading is when I go home at the end of the day and empty my pockets out, and there's a frog, a marble, a polished rock, and some object that I can't identify but is cool and shiny. That kind of thing keeps you young :(

Mainly in for the hunt, but as already said by others, will trade for travel bugs and geocoins - hate mine sitting sitting doing nothing - and if a cache is looking empty, will drop a few items to fill it a bit. Favourites for that are polished pebbles and small toys/animals that we get at a telescope and science store. We have also found Native Aboriginal Coins that are stamped with a variety of designs with different words on the reverse. Usually select the words that pertain to geocaching.....patience, perseverance, wisdom to name a few.

Edited by popokiiti

Yes....It is a personal choice....some cachers carry a bag with trade items and they trade items of equal value...As for me it is.....SL TNLN....I like the search, finding the cache container and signing the log...If a cache does not have a container with log, I probably will by pass the cache. But that is just me....If a virtual, earth-cache, etc...has more then 2 question to answer, I won't waste my time on that type of cache. Multi's are another big waste of time...2-3 containers with logs and one smiley...why not 2-3 separate caches with 2-3 smileys....With today's price of fuel there has to be "cost effectiveness". Happy caching and smooth trails.....I luv this game......

Yes....It is a personal choice....some cachers carry a bag with trade items and they trade items of equal value...As for me it is.....SL TNLN....I like the search, finding the cache container and signing the log...If a cache does not have a container with log, I probably will by pass the cache. But that is just me....If a virtual, earth-cache, etc...has more then 2 question to answer, I won't waste my time on that type of cache. Multi's are another big waste of time...2-3 containers with logs and one smiley...why not 2-3 separate caches with 2-3 smileys....With today's price of fuel there has to be "cost effectiveness". Happy caching and smooth trails.....I luv this game......

Interesting philosophy...I know others who see multis as a waste of time because you only get one smiley. For me, my "cost effectiveness" isn't related to the number of smileys I get in a day, so I don't mind a stroll for a well-done multi in a nice location.

I virtually never trade if I'm caching alone, but will drop some new swag here and there. If the kids are with me, we ALWAYS try to trade. Sometimes they don't see anything they want either, so those are times we'll just leave something nicer for the next person.

i like to trade for handmade items, or things that are strictly geocaching based. the last cache i found had some interesing stuff in it. it has a medium pill bottle with a logbook, a film canister with a rolled up trashbag, and a small bag of handmade dolls that are about an inch tall.

but most of the time i just sign the logbook.

I generally carry sea shells to trade, and if the cache is forlorn will throw a few in, or will trade for _specific_ items. I have long collected the little rubber rain forest frogs, and I tend to find them in local caches a lot.. as well as mardi gras beads, and, lately, tiny brightly colored plastic sea urchins and lobsters and stars and such.

So those I'll generally trade, but most times, I look for the log, then bugs, then coins, to move or trade, then the swag. Often, I won't swap anything if there's nothing I actively want.

I have pulled someones car trash out of a cache a time or two, and replaced it with items from my swag bag, especially on caches more likely to be frequented by kids (IE, no free-climbing a sheer loose rock face to get to it, etc)

I agree with the previous post - swapping seems to be of more interest to the youngsters whereas I am in it for the navigation, the find and to help TBs achieve their objectives where I can.

I was told by a very experienced cacher that "trackables" don't require a swap if you retireve them to move on.

Edited by Claroman

Being pretty new as well (100 finds) I've never taken nor have I left anything. Not to say I ever won't, but for now im perfectly content with being in it for the hunt and signing the log. However, there are a few times where I've seen something I think is cool and wished I had something to trade,but a lot of the time I don't even look through the contents. Hopefully it's not bad G'Caching edicate. :huh:

I enjoy moving trackables towards their destinations if I can. I always try and trade trackable for trackable.

My youngest daughter also likes to trade swag if she is along.

As stated, it is a personal thing.

Most times it is where you go to that is the reward.

As always though, remember CITO.

I always leave a signature item and foam stickers for kids. Although I don't take something from every cache, I think every cache should have some treasure for kiddos.

There is nothing more discouraging to my niece who has cached with me, than finding a magnetic key holder with nothing inside. I've gotten to where I'll pass up all micros, nanos and the like when I'm with her just so she has the thrill of finding a little trophy. Getting a prize from my swag bag just isn't the same.

Anything big enough should at least hold some stickers for the kiddo-cachers.

When I'm with my nephew, he always wants to find the caches with a quarter or other coin, hehe, and that's all he's ever taken, which has happened only 3 times.

Other than that, I'm in it mostly for the hunt, and I really do enjoy looking at all the goodies I do find! While I rarely trade, I do like to keep a bag full of various sized and valued swag items in my car at all times, just in case I see something I really want, or to help replenish low caches.

I carry a swag bag and almost always trade something if the cache has swag in it. Almost all of it is useless "McToys", but sometimes it's useful. I try to include useful stuff, but sometimes it's just a different bauble. The fun is in finding new stuff I've never seen, not actual value.

You would love getting your hands on caches I find. :laughing: My wife runs her own Mickey D's. :blink: So if you ever come to South Western part of Indiana and see a cache with at least 3-4 Mc Toys. You know that more than likely I have been there at some point in time. B)

Actually, thats not all I leave behind. the Mc toys are due to my wife bringing them home because that particular promotion is over with, Then I get tired of seeing them on my computer desk. Plus you never know when a cacher is going to have a youngster with them. My 2 and 3yr. old daughters were thrilled when I took them with me once along with my wife and a cache had a couple toys in there.

I also try to leave 2 packs of AA batteries. I will buy the large 24 packs from Sam's Club and divide them up into 2packs. Seal them into ziploc baggies. You never know when your batteries are gonna decide to die on you in the field. :)

Edited by Brassine Family

I rarely trade. I do need to refresh my "swag bag," often, as I mostly like to just drop things in the cache for the sake of doing so or if the cache has few items and needs restocking.

I leave a signature item or a Pathtag as often as possible and sometimes take one if there are good ones.