Another string of caches disabled?

TeamIDFC

I've had the pleasure of hiking with BillP3rd a few years back and I knew it was getting more difficult for him to get around then.

I remember we were working on a project together (that he started and pulled me in on it) to find the center of the population in the state and it was technically in a closed off watershed area. I had actually gained permission for us to enter the area if we could show indication the benchmark was physically set there. The benchmark was physically on site at a nearby state park instead of in the watershed. We were truly bummed.

It was experiences like this and a few others that got me started on the HOTM series. So my hat's off to an individual who stuck it through until it was the responsible thing to archive the game pieces.

Without knowing if the caches were old with history, an option that perhaps would have been nice is adopting them instead of archiving.

In the Olympia area we recently had some of the original hides placed in our area archived suddenly, but a couple of us managed to convince the owner to unarchive and adopt them out. Some of them were many of our first caches found, so had sentimental value as well. Unfortunetly because of distance issues we also lost a few of these oldies but goodies forever because he archived first. :(

Again, I don't know the history or quality of these hides that the OP mentions, I'm just pointing out that adoptons have a place, but it's up the the owners to think of it before mass archivals.

Complete agree with the archive versus "allow to rot" sentiment - I guess I just sensed this area was a tight enough community that cache adoption (at least for some of those great puzzle caches/series) would have been a likely outcome.

Just surprised, I suppose.

I don't think he advised he was going to do this or asked anybody to adopt.

Complete agree with the archive versus "allow to rot" sentiment - I guess I just sensed this area was a tight enough community that cache adoption (at least for some of those great puzzle caches/series) would have been a likely outcome.

Agreement with both of ya. BillP3rd's caches are among my closest, since he lives nearby, and I would have been glad to talk to him about adopting some (maybe one of the series) if he'd asked. He had some clever puzzles, and both he and his caches will be missed.

Edited by hydnsek

Agreement with both of ya. BillP3rd's caches are among my closest, since he lives nearby, and I would have been glad to talk to him about adopting some (maybe one of the series) if he'd asked. He had some clever puzzles, and both he and his caches will be missed.

I'm with you! He had some really cool puzzles and some good locations too! Is there any way you would wantto contact him and see if he would hand them over to you?

I'm with you! He had some really cool puzzles and some good locations too! Is there any way you would wantto contact him and see if he would hand them over to you?

I dropped him an email earlier today after I saw this thread. Will let y'all know if I hear anything.

FYI: All the caches have not been removed - we saw GCVJJ1 - Let's Go To A Show was still in place as of today. We left it in case it can be restored, but if not we'll need to do some cache clean-up.

That's too bad. I never heard back from Bill after my email offering to help adopt or pick up his archived caches.

FYI: All the caches have not been removed - we saw GCVJJ1 - Let's Go To A Show was still in place as of today. We left it in case it can be restored, but if not we'll need to do some cache clean-up.

That's too bad. I never heard back from Bill after my email offering to help adopt or pick up his archived caches.

Most of the caches are still in place. Tomison, 2kds, and I did most of the caches with in a couple of days of them being archived. We had all solved the puzzles and had a day planned to go get them when they got archived. We crossed our fingers and went ahead with our trip. I DNF'd the ones we couldn't find. It would be great if the series could be adopted, the final for A Baker's Dozen is in a great location.