WHEN IS IT OK TO KEEP A COIN FOUND AN A CACHE?

DJ.J.ROCK

WE ARE NEW TO CACHING AND WOULD LIKE TO START A COLLECTION OF OUR FINDS IN A SHADOW BOX.

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHEN IS IT OK TO KEEP A COIN?? OR HOW DO WE GO ABOUT GETTING ONES WE CAN KEEP ON DISPLAY??

THIS HOBBY IS A FAMILY HOBBY AND WOULD LIKE TO SURROUND OUR SELF WITH PRIDE FINDS LIKE COINS AND PINS, THE COOL ODDBALL STUFF YOU FIND FROM TIME TO TIME??

PLZ SHOOT ME AN EMAIL TO EXPLAIN OR GIVE US TIPS,,, THX YOU TO ALL THOSE CACHERS THAT WILL TAKE THE TIME TO HELP OUT A NEW FINDER,, WERE DOING PRETTY GOOD FOR A FEW MONTHS,,,I THINK!??

THX AGAIN DJ.J.ROCK

<contact me though my profile page> :)

<personal email removed by moderator>

Edited by Eartha

If it's either not a trackable coin or it is not activated by another cacher, it is cache swag and should be traded for fairly.

Although some personal coins that are activated say it's okay to keep on their page. Best advice is to trade for the coin unless it's clearly marked as a traveler. If you get home and find out it is activated, then toss it in a baggy with a printout of the coin's page so the next finder will know.

Yep, as AtlantaGal said, if it's trackable and activated it belongs to someone else and should be dropped into another cache to move on, hopefully to fulfill the mission stated on the coin's page.

As for getting coins of your own, you can buy coins from various people or 'dealers' or even through auctions. I do suggest checking around a bit before buying that way.

Coins are also traded but you need a few to trade first :) There is a forum for trades that will give you an idea what's out there: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...70&st=12950

A lot of information on coins can be found here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=116800

If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask here or send me an email through my geocaching.com profile

Good luck and welcome to the addiction! :)

A lot of information on Geocoins can be found in the Geocoing FAQ. Geocoins in caches are 95% of the time activated and travelling game pieces owned by other cachers watching the travels. Don't count on finding unactivated ones as they are rare and require fair trading .... about $10 worth. You can buy your own if you want to start a collection and for that check out the approved manufacturer links on the Geocoin Home page.

A lot of information on Geocoins can be found in the Geocoing FAQ. Geocoins in caches are 95% of the time activated and travelling game pieces owned by other cachers watching the travels. Don't count on finding unactivated ones as they are rare and require fair trading .... about $10 worth. You can buy your own if you want to start a collection and for that check out the approved manufacturer links on the Geocoin Home page.

SO IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET ANOTHER COPY OF THE ONE YOU FOUND?? MABIE FROM THE OWNER,, AS THESE WOULD BE THE ONLY COINS WE WOULD WANT TO HAVE AS THEY WERE FOUND ON OUR TRAVELS AND WOULD GO IN OUR SHADOWBOX, FOR DISPLAY,,,,

AS ONE WE HAVE BOUGHT DOSENT HAVE ANY REVELANCE TO US,,BECAUSE WE BOUGHT IT,, DOES ANYONE DO THIS BY REQUEST?

SO IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET ANOTHER COPY OF THE ONE YOU FOUND?? MABIE FROM THE OWNER,, AS THESE WOULD BE THE ONLY COINS WE WOULD WANT TO HAVE AS THEY WERE FOUND ON OUR TRAVELS AND WOULD GO IN OUR SHADOWBOX, FOR DISPLAY,,,,

AS ONE WE HAVE BOUGHT DOSENT HAVE ANY REVELANCE TO US,,BECAUSE WE BOUGHT IT,, DOES ANYONE DO THIS BY REQUEST?

It all depends on what coin it is you found or are interested in. Might want to post a photo of it (Make sure the tracking number does not show in the picture) and ask here in the forums for help as to how to get one of those. Some coins are harder to get than others, but you never know without asking. :) This is a very friendly and helpful community. Good luck.

If it is a non trackable coin, it is considered a personal trade item, and you should trade even, or trade up. Coins cost from $5-$15, on average about $10, but sometimes more.

If it's a trackable coin, it should be handled according to the goal on the coin page.

New coins come out all the time, and they are produced in limited quantities. If you didn't get in on the original sale, and have some to trade, you can try the pinned trading thread at the top. All trade requests go in that thread. If that coin you bought has no relevance to you, maybe you want to go in the trading thread and offer it up for one that does mean something. It might not have relevance to you, but could be very important to someone else.

The owner of a coin you find is not necessarily the person who produced the coin, rather, they are the one who set it free to travel.

You can find coins on ebay, but you'll pay less in here.

Non-trackable coins can not be sold in these forums, only traded. Check the link in my signature for the Groundspeak Knowledge base.

edit to add: I removed your email address from your original post. Geocachers can contact other geocachers through their profile page, and there is no need to open yourself up to spam by posting your personal address in a public place.

Edited by Eartha

I have done exactly that - admired a coin then sought it out and either traded or purchased it.

And take your caps lock off...it makes mah ears hurt! :)

And good luck on your collection. I get a lot of pleasure looking at mine, remembering places and events. (I collect and have very few travelers.)

:)

I have came across personal non trackables that where in caches and kept those to add to my collection.

My first collectable Geocoin was found in a cache and was another Cachers personal non trackable.

When I got this coin i did not have one to trade and later I found out that I should have traded fair but i had no coins to trade.

I have made this up for grabbing this geocoin by placing several others in caches for prizes or for people to trade and keep.

Since then i always keep a coin with me to trade that is unactivated or non trackable just in case i find one in a cache so I can make a fair trade.

I know when i drop coins in a cache I keep a close eye on who picks those up and see see if they trade fair.

Good luck on you first steps of geocoin collecting and if you did find one that you are able to keep go ahead and keep it and make it up later by dropping one you paid for.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFOS ,,AFTER CONTACTING THE OWNER AND DOING SOME REASERCH,, I HAVE FOUND THE COIN I WANT IS NOT FOR KEEPING ,,INFACT THE VERSION I HOLD IS SPECIFICLY MADE FOR THE CACHES,,I HAVE ALSO READ ABOUT PEPS STEALING THE COINS FOR THEIR COLLECTIONS,, ALL THIS IS SAD,,

I HAVE ALSO LEARNED ABOUT EQUAL TRADES- WITCH I DID NOT KNOW BUT WHAT WE LEFT FOR THE COIN WAS CLOSE TO BEING EQUAL,, ESP IF THE NEXT FINDER WINS,,LOL

I HOLD THE BELTED KINGFISHER GOLD AND BRONZE SLE,COIN, ITS A BEAUITFUL COIN AND HOPE MANY GET TO SEE THIS BEFORE ITS MUGGLED FROM ONE OF THE CACHES,, I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO GET THIS VERSION OF THE COIN!!! AND ALSO THE IDEA THAT SOMEONE WILL STEAL IT, UPSETS ME!!

MABIE THE OWNER DOWN THE ROAD WILL DECIDE TO RETIRE ONE AND WILL CONTACT ME TO BUY IT FROM THEM,,THIS IS MY ONLY HOPE FOR THIS SPECIFIC COIN!! THX TO EVERYONE THAT TOOK THE TIME TO GIVE ME MANY INFOS ,, BECAUSE I AM NEW TO THIS BY A FEW MONTHS:)

OH AND SORRY FOR THE CAPS,,MY SIGN IN IS IN CAPS, AND I NEVER TURN IT OFF,, ITS BEEN MY TRADEMARK ON OTHER FORUMS,,LOL DJ.J.ROCK

You could try and find another person that has this same coin and trade or purchase it.

Don't give yp because there was more then one of those made.

no, the version is strickly for caches,, not for collections,,, unfortunatly,, other versions were made but there not the same, so unless the owner of the coin decides to retire one from its travels and decides to contact me ,,we will probably never see this coin again..B):P bummer!