Going after the head on Halloween night.(again)

j0hnnycache

I'll ditto that. I bought a pair of throw away farmer john style fishing coveralls from Big 5. They cover from feet to chest. Then I put on knee high rubber boots to complete the ensemble. No fear of wet socks, mucked up pants, or punctures that way.

Unless you tip over. Then you get water in your boots.

:laughing:

Gee, I'm starting to feel I missed the *real* experience. When we went at Halloween three years ago, the ground was dry. Of course, we did get lost in the undergrowth in the dark, get serenaded by spooky music, grossed out by a (real) deer's head planted near Mr. Thomas, and then a swamp monster leaped out at us. But no water or muck. :laughing:

Edited by hydnsek

I'll ditto that. I bought a pair of throw away farmer john style fishing coveralls from Big 5. They cover from feet to chest. Then I put on knee high rubber boots to complete the ensemble. No fear of wet socks, mucked up pants, or punctures that way.

Well I wonder who woulda done that. :laughing: I know of a certain someone who went wading up to his chest, but I did neither. I came out nice and clean and trashed the farmer johns. :D

Well I wonder who woulda done that. :laughing: I know of a certain someone who went wading up to his chest, but I did neither. I came out nice and clean and trashed the farmer johns. :D

Wading up to his chest AND had a smoke break in the middle of it all.

Probably one of my most favorite logs on this particular cache. (Well, this and his three preceding DNF logs.)

michelle

There are a lot of caches that are too hard for me to get to. This is one of the only caches I really wish I could go for in spite of my limited mobility.

Anyone who has done this, and knows how far the hike is, I would like an e-mail. On a good day and a good trail I might make a mile. On a rough, swampy, snag filled trail, it could be a lot less. :)

With some research, I may try this. :huh:

There are a lot of caches that are too hard for me to get to. This is one of the only caches I really wish I could go for in spite of my limited mobility.

Anyone who has done this, and knows how far the hike is, I would like an e-mail. On a good day and a good trail I might make a mile. On a rough, swampy, snag filled trail, it could be a lot less. :)

With some research, I may try this. :huh:

There are no trails. It is muck and mud and lots of bushwhacking and snags to deal with. My high boots went to just below my knees and there were times I thought I was going to overflow the edge. From my log:

...it was suggested that the biggest guy should push through growth, trailblazing (literally) the way for the others. Misguided One took up the challenge, the coleman lantern and his trusty hickory staff, and beat the way in with me close behind. Now this is where having a live 3-axis electronic compass on the MeriPlat came in sooo handy! Instead of using the map screen, I kept it on the compass screen and maintained a live bearing of the waypoint so Misguided One didn't have to stop and pull out his GPS every few feet. With minimal right or left bearing directions, and some small decisions on the best way to approach, we made this in very quick time. All the while, passing down the warnings;

Foot tangle...

Low bridge...

Knee knockers...

Deep hole!

Step on this... or that...

Don't step here...or there...

Watch your face!

Ooooo that gave me a ride...

It took us 29 minutes of the above to get to the location which appears to still be the record (I may be wrong) It is roughly a half mile in. Rough is the keyword. I would call this the second most difficult hike I have ever accomplished.

It took us 29 minutes of the above to get to the location which appears to still be the record (I may be wrong) It is roughly a half mile in. Rough is the keyword. I would call this the second most difficult hike I have ever accomplished.

Thank you for a quick imput. It does sound like this is one I will have to skip. :):huh:

And yet the day I went there was no muck and mud just dry land. :D

Of course it was a dry summer and I went in Oct. before it started raining!

Ditto. Totally dry, but it was dark and lots of thick bushwhacking. We might have beaten TotemLake's time except for the swamp monster.... :blink:

Has the final meeting place and time been established?

This is the info that j0hnnycache sent me on Tuesday

Meet at the corner of Griggs St and Mitchell Ave 8pm. You may want to bring something to change into after. See you there!

Jason AKA j0hnnycache

The coordinates are N47 06.462 W122 37.962

If anyone is up for it I was thinking of going to Farrelli's Pizza in Dupont after the fun.

Edited by LandRover