Microsoft Streets and Trips 2009 & MapPoint North America

FREE trials (fully functional for 60 days) of these programs are available at:

Microsoft Streets and Trips 2009

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details...;displaylang=en

Microsoft MapPoint North America

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details...;displaylang=en

My question is: Can waypoints from Pocket Queries be imported into them? If so how?

Thanks!

TMFS :ph34r:

My question is: Can waypoints from Pocket Queries be imported into them? If so how?

GSAK has an export for Street & Trips, so yes, that will work. I don't know about MapPoint though.

I personally use Mapsource and Street Atlas USA 2009 Plus by Delorme. Tried S&T, but never really cared for it.

I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of the different packages from Microsoft and DeLorme and see what people have to say about them here.

What does MapPoint do differently than Trip & Streets???

-Dylan :ph34r:

GSAK has an export for Street & Trips, so yes, that will work. I don't know about MapPoint though.

I personally use Mapsource and Street Atlas USA 2009 Plus by Delorme. Tried S&T, but never really cared for it.

I used to use S&T all the time to look at caches, but now have a GSAK macro to bring up caches overlaid on Google Maps, or I use the maps on GC directly.

I do use it if we're doing a numbers run in an urban setting. It works well because you can set your first stop and last stop and then let it calculate the most efficient order to put them in. That's different from the "driving directions." I'm not home and would have to see the program to know what button does that, but it's pretty easy to figure out.

The same export for S&T will work for MapPoint. I used to have MP2K and loved the ability to color code the POI to indicate the size of the cache. Can't do that with S&T. S&T has the advantage of Pocket Maps and works great for PPC usage. I'll use that as my backup with a BT GPS. I would have bought a new copy of MP if it wasn't so horribly expensive for my purposes.

I'll add here that I also use Delorme TopoQuad 2.0 and with the appropriate export from GSAK, I can import it using closed treasure chest icons for caches not found and open treasure chest icons for found. With that, I can print my paper copy and have that in my pocket to act as a backup or a visual aid when the GPS screen proves inadequate.

Edited by TotemLake

I use MapPoint 2006 and think it's great. I have small cache icon images I use in the export process, so a traditional cache looks like 2.gif and so on. I also save my MapPoint file as a Template, so when I need to update the info I don't loose settings and such.

There is a free Plug-in you can install called Coordinate Exchange. LINK That lets you use the data in MapPoint with your GPS or other mapping programs.

Edited by Airmapper

There is a free Plug-in you can install called Coordinate Exchange. LINK That lets you use the data in MapPoint with your GPS or other mapping programs.

I've used S&T a lot before but now only when I don't have online access to gc.com or Google maps through GSAK. I gather from the comments on MapPoint that it doesn't load loc/gpx files natively either?

I've used S&T a lot before but now only when I don't have online access to gc.com or Google maps through GSAK. I gather from the comments on MapPoint that it doesn't load loc/gpx files natively either?

No, you'll need an export from GSAK or some other method of getting the .GPX into a format like .CSV. S&T Pushpins are another format it accept I believe. The Plug in I mentioned will allow you to Export from MapPoint in formats like GPX though.

Edited by Airmapper

I use GSAK. I save a Streets and trips file in GSAK and import it into S&T. I do the same for the TomTom and Cacheberry. I always have the TomTom and Cacheberry. I have never taken the laptop on a caching trip. The icons are the same in S&T, open and closed treasure chest and so on.

I use GSAK. I save a Streets and trips file in GSAK and import it into S&T. I do the same for the TomTom and Cacheberry. I always have the TomTom and Cacheberry. I have never taken the laptop on a caching trip. The icons are the same in S&T, open and closed treasure chest and so on.

I also use GSAK and S&T but where did you find the icons (open and closed treasure chest)? Thanks. ;)

S&T is really nice for plotting power caching route, and combining data from several cachers. You can also get an external antenna to attach to the PC for big screen routing. If it only transmitted real time traffic and construction info it could be near perfect.

It will if you get the Connected Services Edition & have an MSN Direct receiver (no web connection required) & subscription - and get gas pricing too.

>>>

"Streets & Trips 2008 with Connected Services includes the MSN Direct receiver and a GPS Locator. These devices connect together with a single USB cable. Connected Services gives you up-to-date information about road conditions and situations and give price information for participating gas stations in some regions. With Connected Services, you can see the following:

• Traffic flow conditions for highways and local roads showing heavy, moderate, and normal speed traffic

• The location of traffic incidents with duration information and other details about the incident and its effect on traffic

• The location of road construction with information about the type of project, its effect on traffic, and its expected duration

• Gas stations with known prices in the region, separating the lower regional prices from the higher ones."

<<<

Think $$.

~*

Edited by Star*Hopper

I've built custom filters for each type of cache (trad, virt, puzzle, etc) in GSAK, and export each to a file duly named using the S&T export function. Import those into S&T using the Data Wizard, then assign the desired icon and bubble display for each type in the Properties dialog box. I'm using custom icons found here:

http://www.craiggiven.com/gc_pushpins.htm

Took a couple of those into Paintshop Pro and enhanced the colors and/or borders to show a bit better, then dropped them back into the custom icon folder. Doing this, S&T shows graphically the type of cache, while the info bubble for each cache gives the name, GC#, size and D/T.

EDIT: correct typo (spelling)

Edited by 3doxies