Choosing a New GPS....

Zac Young

My eTrex legend's toggle is not working well and sometimes not at all. I'm looking a new GPS. I have a few things in mind like accurate maps, see in the sunlight, possib;le compass, possible paperless caching, and ver accurate. I'm looking for a fairly good price too.

I've seen a few GPSs like the Vista, Colarado and the GPSMap 60CSx mentioned around the forums. What in your opinions fits my decription (dosn't have to be one of the three)

I would go with the 60csx (what I have). And rather than the Colorado I would go with the Oregon because from the sounds of the forums it sounds like it doesn't have the "drift" problem. If you liked your legend the hcx vista would probably work well too.

But still, best bang for your buck is probably the 60csx (larger screen, etc). And top of the line; the Oregon

I'm in the same boat, so to speak :P

I'm tossing up between these two... 60Csx :unsure: Colorado (but struggling to decide)

I don't own a PDA and from what info I have the Colorado would be my best option, more cacher friendly, with the abitity to load listing into the unit, hence no need to carry any paper :lol: .

Hopefully there is plenty of others in here that can add their own experinces and put ours minds at ease :ph34r:

Don't forget about the DeLorme Earthmate PN-40 that comes out in October, sounds like it's going to be a sweet little unit. Not as big a screen, but 32-channel high sensitivity reciever, dual processors (should cure the slowness problems of the PN-20, especially the map redraw speeds), can do arial imagery, and i beleive it will come with topo maps and street-level detail that will let it autoroute, like the PN-20 does. Comes in at $400, so similar price range, I'm really looking forward to seeins some head-to-head comparissons. Might even risk a beating from the wife and get a PN-40 (just got my PN-20 last week) if it lives up to the hype.

Don't forget about the DeLorme Earthmate PN-40 that comes out in October, sounds like it's going to be a sweet little unit. Not as big a screen, but 32-channel high sensitivity reciever, dual processors (should cure the slowness problems of the PN-20, especially the map redraw speeds), can do arial imagery, and i beleive it will come with topo maps and street-level detail that will let it autoroute, like the PN-20 does. Comes in at $400, so similar price range, I'm really looking forward to seeins some head-to-head comparissons. Might even risk a beating from the wife and get a PN-40 (just got my PN-20 last week) if it lives up to the hype.

Nice! Does it do paperless caching? Does anyone else thing that this is worth it? It sounds pretty nice...

The PN-Series devices offer paperless caching but are currently restricted to 800 characters for the cache details. There has been quite a bit of discussion on the DeLorme forum... check out this post for screenshots:

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=15275&start=0

We've got the 800 character limit high on our feature request list and hope to go to full cache details soon. Our current exchange process moves the shorter fields to the front of the comment and clips the logs and end of the long description if the cache details are lengthy.

I hope this helps... Consider spending some time reading the posts in the Earthmate PN-40 forum if you're looking for more information; the beta testers have been sharing some of their experiences with the device.

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

Nice! Does it do paperless caching? Does anyone else thing that this is worth it? It sounds pretty nice...

I use my DeLorme PN-20 for paperless caching. As a Premium Member, I download the GPX file for a cache to the DeLorme Topo USA 7.0 mapping application on my PC and from there I transfer the cache waypoint to my PN-20.