eXplorist 500 waas fix

This is for units with 0133 or 133 serial numbers. Go to this site

http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=BAT8SJO1 and download the file. back-up your basemap, run the update and reload your basemap. voila! waas!

Have you tried it yet? I'm really leery about bricking my 500.

Does anyone have any info they can add? I would be great if this does work.

Cheers!

Edited by ace862

This is for units with 0133 or 133 serial numbers. Go to this site

http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=BAT8SJO1 and download the file. back-up your basemap, run the update and reload your basemap. voila! waas!

Have you tried it yet? I'm really leery about bricking my 500.

Does anyone have any info they can add? I would be great if this does work.

Cheers!

Tried it and it's working fine, plus you get some extra screens that are pretty cool. Now my unit finds sats 135 and 138.

Well I'll be a son of a .....! It actually worked. :ph34r:

I had firmware 2.17 with serial number beginning with 133 and a blue circuit board. I made the mistake a number of months ago and cleared all memory on an unsuccessful firmware upgrade attempt and went back to looking for the old satellites. This firmware appears to have worked. I now have firmware 2.70, I have the extra screens, and I'm looking for WAAS sats 135 and 138. I didn't even need to reload my basemap.

Another thing new I noticed is when I connect to the computer I get a "Database Copyright Notice' which come on for a few seconds and then goes to the USB screen.

Wow thanks CipparroneClan for the link. I was beginning to give up hope of getting this issue resolved ever.

Thanks again.

Cheers! :unsure:

...Magellan has a greater love for Europe than the New World. Odd as they started in California...
Not so odd, since the company was bought years ago by Thales, headquartered in France. And was more recently sold to another company probably more interested in digesting assets than supporting products - but one can never tell.

What DOES strike me as odd is that the 2.71 firmware files are dated January 2007, and I don't think they ever appeared on the MagellanGPS site. And there don't seem to be comparable files anywhere for the 210 and 400 series.

Is (or was) there a Magellan/Thales website specifically for Europe? Was there some later update than 2.57 for the 210/400 models?

Edited by lee_rimar

The filename says:

"Filename: Explorist_500_600_2_71.zip"

so... you know what I'm asking. Have any 600 owners given it the old college try?

I'm willing to brick my 600 for an update nearly 4 years in the coming, if only to go get a sweet new O400t.

I would assume it would work for the 600 as well. Don't have one myself to test it with.

Edited by CipparroneClan

I'm really glad it worked but I'm kind of curious to know where it came from. What is the story behind it? There is no mention of it on the Magellan site anywhere. I did a google search and the only mention of it comes up in European sites in spanish and german. I know people have been banging their heads looking for a solution for months, and then all of a sudden there it is. Like I said, I'm happy to have found it and it seems to be working great. My curiosity gets the better of me sometimes.

I'm also a little surprised more people haven't jumped on this thread. You don't suppose they've gone to.... The Dark Side!!! :):)

Cheers! :D

A ton of thanks to the CipparroneClan for starting this topic. I downloaded and installed the software upgrade to my 500 tonight. Flawless install, had to reset some of my preferences, but other than that it went perfectly. Really looking forward to checking the WAAS performance, and the additional navigation pages are pretty cool. Again, many thanks.

Bill

This is wonderful news, I have a chance to buy a Explorist 500 real cheap. But before I take the purchase of it, can someone tell if they now record data like AVG MPH and have a trip odometer that is seperate from the main odometer on the unit?

Since I use it mostly for bicycling, those two features are important to me.

Maybe a screenshots of the new screens would be very helpful also.

I did the European firmware upgrade of 2.57 when it was released in Feb 2007. Anyone see the list of things changed/fixed between 2.57 and 2.71? Or actually do both and see any difference.

I'd be interested if there is any advantage between 2.57 and this 2.71 as well ...... Anyone?

I tried to load the 2.7x version on one of our eXplorist 600's (the one that the USB interface still works on). It already has 2.57 loaded, but it is an older model. When I try to load the new firmware, it tells me that my hardware is not supported by this update. I would guess that it onl works on the newer units (with the 133* serial numbers).

This is wonderful news, I have a chance to buy a Explorist 500 real cheap. But before I take the purchase of it, can someone tell if they now record data like AVG MPH and have a trip odometer that is seperate from the main odometer on the unit?

Since I use it mostly for bicycling, those two features are important to me.

Maybe a screenshots of the new screens would be very helpful also.

gpsblake,

The ugraded verison does indeed have an Average Speed selection, the "Speedometer Page"

described below has Trip Distance. The 4 additional screens are user "customizeable", screen

sequence is:

Satellite Page

Map Page

Compass Page

New Page - Shows GOTO Destination as has 4 categories that are user selectable

New Page - Highway Page shows GOTO and has 4 categories that are user selectable, in

addition is had a visual "highway" showing left or right off course and a sliding compass in

degrees.

New Page - Speedometer Page has an "analog" style speedometer, 4 user selectable

categories, and Trip Odometer at the bottom.

New Page - Status Page shows GOTO and has 6 user selectable categories, plus has a sliding

Heading Bar with degree designations.

Trip Page - Has the "old" standard 6 categories: Location; Elevation; Accuracy (WAAS identified

when obtained); Date/Time; Trip Odometer; Battery Condition.

Not sure how to get Screen Shots for you, but if you e-mail me through my profile..maybe I

can get some digital shots and mail them to you. Hope the above helps.

Bill

I did the European firmware upgrade of 2.57 when it was released in Feb 2007. Anyone see the list of things changed/fixed between 2.57 and 2.71? Or actually do both and see any difference.

I'd be interested if there is any advantage between 2.57 and this 2.71 as well ...... Anyone?

I tried to load the 2.7x version on one of our eXplorist 600's (the one that the USB interface still works on). It already has 2.57 loaded, but it is an older model. When I try to load the new firmware, it tells me that my hardware is not supported by this update. I would guess that it onl works on the newer units (with the 133* serial numbers).

Sounds like the firmware version 2.57 is for serial numbers starting with 118, and the 2.71 is for serial numbers starting with 133, for the model 500 (not sure about the 600.)

I have an older eXplorist 500 that sometime ago I registered as a European unit so I could get the 2.57 update. I ran the 2.57 update and I got the cool new screens and WAAS. Yesterday I downloaded and installed the 2.71 update for my newer eXplorist 500 with the 0133* serial number and blue logic board.

Today I have been checking out both units and I do not see a difference in either unit. They both track the same satellites and get the exact same accuracy. My guess the is the 2.71 update is for the newer eXplorist 500/600 series that should have been released in the US. That is just my humble opinion :)

Thanks so much for posting the 2.71 update, It has made me love my eXplorist 500 all over again. Now I can send my Triton 500 to the bottom of my pack as the backup unit. :(

No Jim, you're not an idiot. The page doesn't make it very clear on how to download. It took me a bit to figure it out as well. At the top right hand of the page you will see 3 letters. Enter them into the box right beside them and click 'download'. Another page opens and you will see 2 columns. One says Premium, the other says free. At the bottom of the free column there should be something to the effect of "You must wait xx seconds to download this". I think it's usually 45 seconds to 1 minute. Once that timer runs out, then it will turn into a button that says 'download'. Click that and you should be good to go.

You should back up your basemap files at the very least. I didn't have to reload my basemap but you never know. Better to be safe. When I did the update I took my SD card out. The other thing I did was back up my other assorted POIs that I have marked that are in the internal memory. Before you do the upgrade you should do an 'Clear All' memory. The warning on this is that if you currently have WAAS, doing a 'Clear All' will erase that. The updated firmware should take care of that though. However, if for some reason the update doesn't work, you will be left without WAAS.

I'm not sure if this applies to you or not but I thought I'd throw it out there just to give people a heads up who may not be aware.

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :rolleyes:

No Jim, you're not an idiot. The page doesn't make it very clear on how to download. It took me a bit to figure it out as well. At the top right hand of the page you will see 3 letters. Enter them into the box right beside them and click 'download'. Another page opens and you will see 2 columns. One says Premium, the other says free. At the bottom of the free column there should be something to the effect of "You must wait xx seconds to download this". I think it's usually 45 seconds to 1 minute. Once that timer runs out, then it will turn into a button that says 'download'. Click that and you should be good to go.

You should back up your basemap files at the very least. I didn't have to reload my basemap but you never know. Better to be safe. When I did the update I took my SD card out. The other thing I did was back up my other assorted POIs that I have marked that are in the internal memory. Before you do the upgrade you should do an 'Clear All' memory. The warning on this is that if you currently have WAAS, doing a 'Clear All' will erase that. The updated firmware should take care of that though. However, if for some reason the update doesn't work, you will be left without WAAS.

I'm not sure if this applies to you or not but I thought I'd throw it out there just to give people a heads up who may not be aware.

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :rolleyes:

Ok, thanks..even with the help it took me a second or too to realize what letters needed to be imput..don't have WAAS on 133 serial. Have been rather disappointed by that as our other 500 did. will back up files as a precaution. thanks!!

Jim

I tried it on both of my eXplorest XL but it was no joy.

stutzismydog, look here :

http://www.nextdestination.com.au/Pages/Do...dId=13#Firmware

Scroll down to the firmware for the XL version 1.55

it's not supposed to be region specific, but :

Backup your basemap, just in case!

Do a "clear all" before, and after the upgrade!!!

Also, look here for the screens that you should get :

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~defender110...u/mypage/xl.htm

I'm waiting till I've a PN-40 before I risk "brickin'" the XL

Norm

Edited by RRLover

Thanks for the heads up RRLover~

I have access to three XL's and just said " what the heck" if I brick one of them,.... So I just downloaded the Australian update and tried it on the first one and it worked.

That worked so well that I did it to the other two and they all work just fine and have WAAS . Why can't Magellan do this on there web site ??????

I noticed that you were reluctant to up grade yours,..."I'm waiting till I've a PN-40 before I risk "brickin'" the XL". This works and you might save some money because you might not need that PN-40. :laughing:

I tried it on both of my eXplorest XL but it was no joy.

stutzismydog, look here :

http://www.nextdestination.com.au/Pages/Do...dId=13#Firmware

Scroll down to the firmware for the XL version 1.55

it's not supposed to be region specific, but :

Backup your basemap, just in case!

Do a "clear all" before, and after the upgrade!!!

Also, look here for the screens that you should get :

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~defender110...u/mypage/xl.htm

I'm waiting till I've a PN-40 before I risk "brickin'" the XL

Norm

I'm disgruntled w/Magellan, I get angry just looking at the XL! It's a wonderful tool,

drawn & quartered for the sake of the Triton. Magellan took a big ol' $[-]!T on it's

existing customer base, and then barfed on everyone in the front row at the coming-

out party. And then they expect to carry on as though nothing happened? "Party on

Wayne, party on Garth!" NOT on my dime! Magellan-RIP.

After the debut of the PN-40, I'll have what it(XL) was AND what it could have been!

Norm

PS : Have you looked at MMO with it's features and difficulty, Xmap/bluelogger/postpro2

combo looks to be just as able, and has the best customer support avail. @ a fraction

of the cost. Parallels will always be a 'halffast' fix, and if DeLorme REALLY, and TRULY,

"run with the ball" (once picked up), I'll be in 'Fat City'!

I'm disgruntled w/Magellan, I get angry just looking at the XL! It's a wonderful tool,

drawn & quartered for the sake of the Triton. Magellan took a big ol' $[-]!T on it's

existing customer base, and then barfed on everyone in the front row at the coming-

out party. And then they expect to carry on as though nothing happened? "Party on

Wayne, party on Garth!" NOT on my dime! Magellan-RIP.

After the debut of the PN-40, I'll have what it(XL) was AND what it could have been!

Norm

PS : Have you looked at MMO with it's features and difficulty, Xmap/bluelogger/postpro2

combo looks to be just as able, and has the best customer support avail. @ a fraction

of the cost. Parallels will always be a 'halffast' fix, and if DeLorme REALLY, and TRULY,

"run with the ball" (once picked up), I'll be in 'Fat City'!

RRLover~

Do you want to sell your XL ???

bump

because?!?

If you wish to forever have this topic quickly available then you should click the [options] link near the top right of the forums page when you are reading this topic, then click [track this topic] and select how you want to do things. Then from now on you can click on the [my controls] link at the top of any forum page and select [view topics] to SEE all topics that you have so marked. You might have to change the "Show topics from:" date options at the bottom to see ALL if time marches on too fast for you.

Just bumping the topic is plain rude.

Edited by trainlove

RRLover~

Do you want to sell your XL ???

@ stutzismydog :

In my best Bugs Bunny, . . ."Emmm, . . . could be!"

No hurry, we'll see how onefityfie goes, and how the PN does.

If I hand it down that forces family to buy, load, & learn both

Parallels/fusion/bootcamp & Windows. Lookin' better for a sale

the more I think about it.

Car mount, lots of peripheral stuff couple versions of MMO (1 & 2.7)

all kinds of MMO PDAS, lotta value here.

I'll post up here if it happens.

Soooo, . . . follow Trainloves directions ^^^^^^^^^^^

Norm

bump

because?!?

If you wish to forever have this topic quickly available then you should click the [options] link near the top right of the forums page when you are reading this topic, then click [track this topic] and select how you want to do things. Then from now on you can click on the [my controls] link at the top of any forum page and select [view topics] to SEE all topics that you have so marked. You might have to change the "Show topics from:" date options at the bottom to see ALL if time marches on too fast for you.

I still say my answer was better - and more succinct. :rolleyes:

bump

because?!?

I still say my answer was better - and more succinct. :rolleyes:

Sorry don't know all the features of this site yet. no rudeness intended.

i've downloaded the file but i'm not sure how to back-up my base map. any help will be greatly appreciated.

It will be in your Background Maps file. When you go to the USB transfer mode, make sure you are looking in "internal" memory and not your SD card. Then the file is most likely hidden. I'm running XP so for me it goes - My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> check 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' -> uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files" ->OK

After that you should see the file BASEMAP.MGI. This is the file you want. Copy this file on to your computer somewhere safe and you should be good to go.

Good luck! :rolleyes:

The site reported works great on sr # 133...didn't back up anything, lost nothing...gained new screens and secret code 03 indicates that it is accessing the correct sat's. Compared it to our other 500 that has always gotten WAAS, and both are in agreement. One again hats off to Cipparrone clan for their discovery of this file!

Hi everyone,

Is 2.71 still the "most" correct and current firmware update that I can apply to the eXplorist 500LE?

My serno starts with the 133...

You know, these things are still in bulk @ both my local CT stores. Every 6 months or so they mark them down a little bit more. Down to $130 now.

Thanks

Bluetonic

Hi everyone,

Is 2.71 still the "most" correct and current firmware update that I can apply to the eXplorist 500LE?

You know, these things are still in bulk @ both my local CT stores. Every 6 months or so they mark them down a little bit more. Down to $130 now.

Thanks

Bluetonic

I haven't seen anything else out there recently for the 133 serial numbers. The current "Official" update from the Magellan site is 2.18, although I believe that only corrects WAAS. 2.71 will correct WAAS and give you the additional screens. I used the 2.71 update on my 500 and haven't had a problem. But just be aware that it is something you will use at your own risk. Backup your basemaps.

I'm still curious to know if anyone knows where 2.71 came from?

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Bluetonic

I haven't seen anything else out there recently for the 133 serial numbers. The current "Official" update from the Magellan site is 2.18, although I believe that only corrects WAAS. 2.71 will correct WAAS and give you the additional screens. I used the 2.71 update on my 500 and haven't had a problem. But just be aware that it is something you will use at your own risk. Backup your basemaps.

I'm still curious to know if anyone knows where 2.71 came from?

Ace, thanks.

I tried 2.18 after using 2.03 but what a mistake that upgrade was. My 500 turned into a complete dog. The accuracy dropped way off and it was slower than molasses. I found the 2.71 upgrade in this thread but I wanted to make sure nothing newer was out there (that anyone knew of).

Thanks again,

Bluetonic