Producing maps from GPSr

T-Hunters3

Maybe this topic has been discussed before, but I honestly do not know where to start looking. I was wondering if there is any way to export the data/routes from a GPSr to help produing my own map. For example, my neighborhood is fairly new and not on any street maps yet. I would like to produce my own map of the area (doesn't have to be anything super detailed or "official") for my own personal use. If there is a way, can someone point me to a tutorial on this procedure?

Thanks

Maybe this topic has been discussed before, but I honestly do not know where to start looking. I was wondering if there is any way to export the data/routes from a GPSr to help produing my own map. For example, my neighborhood is fairly new and not on any street maps yet. I would like to produce my own map of the area (doesn't have to be anything super detailed or "official") for my own personal use. If there is a way, can someone point me to a tutorial on this procedure?

Thanks

If it's a Garmin GPSr, you can use the Mapsource software that came with it, along with any cartography (such as City Navigator) that you have on CD/DVD. (If your GPSr has cartography built in, or if you bought it on an SD card, that won't do you any good for this purpose since it can't be used on the computer.) Clear the track log on your GPSr. Walk or drive the streets you're interested in. Fire up Mapsource and choose the CD/DVD product you want to use. Connect the GPSr to the computer and download the track log using Mapsource. Display the track log on the map and print the map.

I believe that Mapsource will allow you to download the track log and "display it on the map" even if you have no cartography loaded. But this wouldn't do you much good as you wouldn't have any reference points (other than the direction of north and the scale) when you print your "map" of track logs.

Sorry, I don't remember all the step-by-step instructions for Mapsource. Instructions for the steps on the unit (such as clearing the track log) would vary by unit, which you didn't identify. Even Garmin's lousy documentation should cover those steps.

If it's a Garmin GPSr, you can use the Mapsource software that came with it, along with any cartography (such as City Navigator) that you have on CD/DVD. (If your GPSr has cartography built in, or if you bought it on an SD card, that won't do you any good for this purpose since it can't be used on the computer.) Clear the track log on your GPSr. Walk or drive the streets you're interested in. Fire up Mapsource and choose the CD/DVD product you want to use. Connect the GPSr to the computer and download the track log using Mapsource. Display the track log on the map and print the map.

I believe that Mapsource will allow you to download the track log and "display it on the map" even if you have no cartography loaded. But this wouldn't do you much good as you wouldn't have any reference points (other than the direction of north and the scale) when you print your "map" of track logs.

Sorry, I don't remember all the step-by-step instructions for Mapsource. Instructions for the steps on the unit (such as clearing the track log) would vary by unit, which you didn't identify. Even Garmin's lousy documentation should cover those steps.

Thanks!!! That will get me going in the right direction anyway!

Thanks

Take a look at the shareware at www.gpstm.com. I produced hiking trail maps using the Trackmaster program. The tutorial in the program is easy to follow

Bob

Garmin Map Source let me upload a track to the free version of Google earth. I was able to see the trail we walked in the sat photo and mapped out the trail I had wanted to take, but missed. The next time I intend to upload all of this back into my GPS and use it to find the path I had wanted the first time.

Thanks

If you really want to get into map-making, why not check out OpenStreetMap? There's a bit of a learning curve involved, but the data you enter is shared with everyone and can be used for online maps (like Google Maps) or for printing out your own map of your neighborhood or even creating a map for your GPS.

I'll second the recommendation to check out OpenStreetMap. I have just started contributing, and I find the whole project fascinating. Depending on where you are, you might find that your area already has quite a detailed map, or on the contrary it might not be mapped at all. In either case it doesn't matter: if some data already exists, you can use your GPS tracks to correct it or add to it. If there's no data in your area, you have the excitement of being the first person to map that area in OpenStreetMap.