Which mobile with GPS?

Now I'm not a very technical person :mad: so up to now we have done our 250+ caches by using a 'yellow brick' as the basic etrex seems to be called, and have copied and pasted onto 'Word' parts of each cache page, and printed out a page for each cache showing all the details. This is becoming more difficult as certain pages do not allow you to copy parts of the info, :ph34r: and you cannot copy the maps on each page either. I have tried printing from each cache page using the 'Print-no logs' option, but even this does not give all the info needed. :mad: Now we are thinking of trying paperless caching but being not very au fait with the available gadgets, and not very good at complicated computer stuff we were wondering if there were some mobile phones that may do the download business more easily? Or is it best to use a Garmin?

I have a Nokia N82 with Geocache Navigator installed. When you run Navigator, it does the rest for you!

Mr Chizu

Hmmmm interesting. Although I'm not looking at buying a phone with built in GPS I would like to know if the Geocache navigator software is a freebie and does it work with any GPS enabled phone and secondly does using GPS on a mobile cost you every time you use it just as if you were making a phone call?

I use an N95 on with Geocache Navigator. The software is free on a Nokia (I believe!) but I've discovered that is doesn't like showing non regular caches (for example even if I know I'm right on top of a multi or mystery there's no sign of it) which is annoying. That might just be me not setting something up right though.

I *think* GPS is free. However, to get best use out of GN you need to use your phone's internet to download the cache list/logs/hints/etc and allowing the network to connect (if I believe what people say!) helps the phone work out where you are quicker as it can base things off your phone signal. I'm still working all this out though as I've only had the phone for a month - a data plan is worth it though I think.

I also use a Nokia N95. with Geocache navigator (a free dopwnload) and have used it for all the caches i've done so far and don't have any problems with it at all. It's on a Three mobile tarrif so data is included and I think it's a great all in one unit, as i can sneak of and geocache anytime anywhere.

You can also if you don't want to use the internal GPS unit, use a bluetooth GPS which also works well. My brother uses the later (bluetooth gps) on his Nokia 6120 again with geocache navigator.

If you have a PDA and a bluetooth gps, then the software 'cachemate' (small fee, about £6) is also good, although you need to download a gpx files before you set off, but acts as a good backup for when the phone battery dies, or even as a backup gps.

LRMedic

I *think* GPS is free. However, to get best use out of GN you need to use your phone's internet to download the cache list/logs/hints/etc and allowing the network to connect (if I believe what people say!) helps the phone work out where you are quicker as it can base things off your phone signal.

Quite correct.

The GPS is free, but if you use Assisted GPS (A-GPS) it gets some of the info it would normally need to download from satellites (slooowly!) by going over the mobile data network (fast!). It doesn't actually use the phone signal for positioning, just to connect up and get the satellite almanacs. It certainly speeds things up but you do need to keep an eye on your data costs (especially if you use the phone abroad).

The Trimble Geocache Navigator software is also free. http://www.geocachenavigator.com/ will tell you what devices are supported.

N95! N95! rah rah rah!

Edited to add - although the N95 is super-duper (and has a pretty darn good camera, as phone cameras go), I still use my Garmin as my main device for caching/general outdoor stuff, but the mobile is a really handy backup device. A dedicated handheld GPSr has lots more functions, better battery life, and is just generally more solid-feeling!

Edited by Team Sieni