Creating a route

rach_kelley

So, I'd like to run a pocket query on a route that has not been defined as yet. I have created a .mps file of the route in Mapsource. How do I go about translating that to a GPX so I can upload the route?

Edit: Never mind, I udpated my Mapsource, and can now Save As a GPX. Thanks for looking anyway.

Edited by rach_kelley

So, I'd like to run a pocket query on a route that has not been defined as yet. I have created a .mps file of the route in Mapsource. How do I go about translating that to a GPX so I can upload the route?

Download GPS Babel from http://www.gpsbabel.org/. Its free software for GPS data conversion, though they ask for donations to help support the project. After installing the software use GPSBabelGUI.exe, which has a graphical interface that's easier to use than command line input.

You pick the type of input file ( I use DeLorme Street Atlas, but see that it does support Garmin MapSource) and select the file you want to convert. For the output format select GPX XML and under options check 'Target GPX version for output' and put 1.1 for the version number. Give your output file a name and click 'Let's Go'. That will create a .gpx file for you to upload to G.com. Be sure to put the .gpx at the end of your file name - it doesn't do that automatically.

It took some playing around with it to get it to create a valid route that GC.com would accept, but once you have it down its pretty easy. They do have decent help if you need it for the different formats & option.