Garmin PoiLoader crashes on Windows Vista

SidAndBob

Does anyone have this working. It just crashes for me. :mad: Of course it was fine on XP.

Garmin sent a reply saying it should work on Vista and to uninstall all Garmin s/w, remove reg entries, reboot and to install to C:\Garmin.

It makes no difference.

I wasn't too hopeful when the procedure referred to " ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS". :ph34r:

Does anyone have this working. It just crashes for me. :mad: Of course it was fine on XP.

Garmin sent a reply saying it should work on Vista and to uninstall all Garmin s/w, remove reg entries, reboot and to install to C:\Garmin.

It makes no difference.

I wasn't too hopeful when the procedure referred to " ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS". :ph34r:

The POI loader works fine for me. I'm afraid I cannot offer any better advice than Garmin did though, uninstalling the old software and reinstalling the most up-to-date versions of the software and any drivers. If you can include a description of what happens, and any error messages you receive, maybe someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

It makes no difference.

I had problems with POI Loader for a while, and I even emailed to Garmin Support. They replied with a generic answer equivalent to "it works for us". In the end I was able to track down my problem to be that I was creating GPX files out of GSAK. Included in my GPX files were a few "fake caches" I had created using GSAK (my house, my office, etc). It was these points that were causing the problems for the POI loader. More research showed me that it was the blank URL field in the GSAK record which was causing the POI loader to crash for me. It might be wort a check, but alas, I am not aware of a way to filter GSAK on the URL field.

In the end I was able to track down my problem to be that I was creating GPX files out of GSAK. Included in my GPX files were a few "fake caches" I had created using GSAK (my house, my office, etc). It was these points that were causing the problems for the POI loader.

The Garmin response said " The APPLICATION.CPP error is usually caused by some type of conflict with another program", but I decided to look at my data, based on the above.

I updated the GSAK macro, made sure there was no "fake caches" (as I use these in the same way as Geekboy.from.Illinois) and made sure there were no subfolders in my POI folder. And hey presto! It worked.

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Note : I have the User Flag set on my "fake caches" so I can filter them out easily, but the POI macro uses the complete database contents and ignores any filter. To get round this I create a temorary db and copy the rows I want from a standard filter.

All of the sudden POI Loader crashed for me too! I copied and pasted the error to send to Garmin (as per the instructions on the error screen).

It crashed on the 60CSX, it crashed on the Nuvi. I had just used it without incident three days ago.

I didn't have time to wait for Garmin's answer as I needed the electronics ready NOW.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling POI Loader - no luck. (Sidebar note: Garmin's links for POI Loader don't seem to be working right now. If you click on download, it takes you to Mapsource downloads. Luckily, I still had the original download in a folder on my computer!)

Turned to the forums because they've usually succeeded when everything else fails. I, too, saw Geekboy.from.Illinois' answer. He was right and I had put one silly fake POI (for a restaurant) into the database.

I took that out and it worked great!

Thanks for saving the day GeekBoy!!!!!!!

I emailed Garmin informing them of the problem and the solution. (Giving full credit to GeekBoy.from.Illinois!)

I also let them know that the link for POI Loader wasn't working.

Hopefully they whip up a fix and we can continue making up our little waypoints for our miscellaneous points of interest!

Thanks again!

P.S. Hey GeekBoy.from.Illinois: I don't suppose you can get my Palm to sync with my Vista 64 bit laptop? I tried the bluetooth workaround and it worked about 3 times and won't work anymore. (I have another workaround by just slapping the cachemate file on the sd card and then inserting the card in the Palm, but I'd love to use my Palm for more than cachemate!

I emailed Garmin informing them of the problem and the solution. (Giving full credit to GeekBoy.from.Illinois!)

I also let them know that the link for POI Loader wasn't working.

Hopefully they whip up a fix and we can continue making up our little waypoints for our miscellaneous points of interest!

I wouldn't hold your breathe on this getting fixed any time soon. I reported it to them back around March or April I think. At that time, I also told them the cause of the problem (blank URL field). I never heard back from any of those emails other than their initial "it works for us." message.

P.S. Hey GeekBoy.from.Illinois: I don't suppose you can get my Palm to sync with my Vista 64 bit laptop? I tried the bluetooth workaround and it worked about 3 times and won't work anymore.

Well, I now have a Vista 64 machine available. What model Palm do you have? If it is similar enough to any of the ones I have access to I will be glad to try to test and see if I can make it work. :(

GeekBoy, I got the canned response of it must be conflict with another program. So, you're probably right about your answer from Garmin!

I have a Palm T|X. I had googled a workaround using bluetooth. It's from a thread about 2-3 years ago, but it worked at first. It's no longer working so I am cutting and pasting my .pdb file manually onto the SD card and then inserting the SD card into the Palm. Within Cachemate, I can tell it to rescan the card and then it will pick it up. Like I said, it works, but I can't use my Palm for appointments or anything else other than Cachemate.

The error I get with the Palm is that the com port is busy. I have repeatedly deleted these (so they can't be busy), but still keep getting that darned message.

Any assistance you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!

P.S. Yes, I've already done the "run as administrator" thing!

GeekBoy, I got the canned response of it must be conflict with another program. So, you're probably right about your answer from Garmin!

I have a Palm T|X. I had googled a workaround using bluetooth. It's from a thread about 2-3 years ago, but it worked at first. It's no longer working so I am cutting and pasting my .pdb file manually onto the SD card and then inserting the SD card into the Palm. Within Cachemate, I can tell it to rescan the card and then it will pick it up. Like I said, it works, but I can't use my Palm for appointments or anything else other than Cachemate.

The error I get with the Palm is that the com port is busy. I have repeatedly deleted these (so they can't be busy), but still keep getting that darned message.

Any assistance you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!

P.S. Yes, I've already done the "run as administrator" thing!

What version of Palm Desktop are you running? I know that this Vista (32 bit) laptop has Palm Desktop v6.2.2 and seems to have no problems syncing with a slightly older Tungsten T5 and a Tungsten E2.

My HotSync Manager is only set to use USB and Bluetooth. Both TCP and Serial are unchecked (there are no serial ports on this computer other than the USB ones).

I get an error message using the newest POI loader, It crashes and I can't even use the thing. I reverted back to the version before and can load all the same files just fine.

I emailed garmin and they were of no help. seems strange the issue I have is only with the newest version.

I get an error message using the newest POI loader, It crashes and I can't even use the thing. I reverted back to the version before and can load all the same files just fine.

I emailed garmin and they were of no help. seems strange the issue I have is only with the newest version.

I had no problems running POILoader v2.4x, but when I upgraded to v2.52 I started having the crashes I mentioned above. emailing to Garmin support was of little or no help. Even after I provided them with the details as to what I could do to re-create the crash, I got no response back to the email. The only response I ever got from them was "it works for us"...

All,

I am having trouble with loading POI into a Garmin Nuvi. When you say it crashes do you mean that you get an error message and no POIs will load?

When I try to load POIs into the Nuvi I get an error message indicating that the Tour Guide GPX is invalid. I have tried to narrow down the number of caches loaded into the POI and still no luck. I do know that it is only a certain area of caches within the area of my home coords.

If you think this is the same problem, can you tell me how to find the empty cache?

Thanks

Whimppeys

Whimppeys - When I first read this message, I had no idea what you were talking about.

HOWEVER, I just downloaded a macro to convert the files for reading in Nuvi. (Similar to Cachemate in the Palm).

NOW, I understand what you mean.

What we were talking about was something different than what you are experiencing. This Tour Guide.gpx is something unique to that macro. I don't really know enough about that macro to offer any words of guidance.

I will say this though: When I used that macro, I got the same message. But, the POIs were on the Nuvi anyway. Have you checked to make sure that the POIs are not loaded?

I had no problems running POILoader v2.4x, but when I upgraded to v2.52 I started having the crashes I mentioned above. emailing to Garmin support was of little or no help. Even after I provided them with the details as to what I could do to re-create the crash, I got no response back to the email. The only response I ever got from them was "it works for us"...

Garmin gave me this fix and it worked for me. Download a older version of the POI Loader. I installed Version 2.4.1 from this web page and POIs will now load in v64 bit Vista.