Weirdest Cache....what have you found

Brice Family

You know the feeling. You follow the GPS instructions to the letter. You turn up in the right location on to discover...that thing there. You dont know what it is, or why is there, but there it is just the same.

Whats the weirdest thing you have found?

Last weekend the geokids and I found a needle container in a tree! :ph34r:

Didnt open it to see if it was used or not!

Found mainly standard containers but I do have a strange cache out there :mad: One of my daughters dolls had seen better days and was in the trash so what do I do (visualize young jedi) :mad: Take the doll head and attach it to a container, give her a make-over and set free.

In order to open the container you have to grab the baby by the head and turn :ph34r:

Never took any pictures - this was the short story. I did have a master plan but it would have been more trouble than it was worth.

Weirdest thing I've ever found on a cache hunt is a black plastic garbage bag full of personal information about somebody. Copies of a driver's license, social security card, court records, literally an ID theif's dream boat. Found it on the side of a horse trail in a county park. Collected it all and brought it to the park office, which was closed. Flagged down a passing police car (Sheriff's departmant), showed him what we found, he seemed as confused as we were, but he thanked us for reporting it. Never heard anything about it again, but it remains the weirdest thing I've ever stumbled upon. Actually we found it on the way BACK from the cache, so at least we got the smiley.

Weirdest thing I've ever found on a cache hunt is a black plastic garbage bag full of personal information about somebody. Copies of a driver's license, social security card, court records, literally an ID theif's dream boat. Found it on the side of a horse trail in a county park. Collected it all and brought it to the park office, which was closed. Flagged down a passing police car (Sheriff's departmant), showed him what we found, he seemed as confused as we were, but he thanked us for reporting it. Never heard anything about it again, but it remains the weirdest thing I've ever stumbled upon. Actually we found it on the way BACK from the cache, so at least we got the smiley.

I am curious... was this by any chance in DC or in a part of Maryland or NoVa very near DC? I ask because it is reminding me of a news story that I heard, about a young man (twenty-something, as I recall) who had recently been traveling in Europe, and who, upon his return to the DC area, had started living in a homemade homeless camp in a park. He was eventually murdered on the streets, and eventually a jogger (or hiker, or geocacher, I forget...) found a plastic bag -- likely dragged from his abandoned encampment by animals or vandals -- containing the ID and passport, etc., of the now-deceased man.

My strangest find ever was on our way back from a vacation, karleytwoshoes, hubby and myself. I stop at a rest area right at dusk to grab a smiley, supposed to be a cammoed match stick container.....brought back to the car a large sterilite container of drugs....

Not fun! Called the cops, the one on the phone knew what geocaching was so I didn't have a problem there, arranged to meet a couple police at the nearby gas station (I did NOT want to sit at a rest area after dark with my three year old as you have to assume whoever left the stash was coming back), the two policeman that showed up at the gas station did not know what geocaching was. I am not even sure they understood it after the seemed like forever long explaination and question and answer section.

Anyway, most interesting geocaching story I have....

I haven't been at the game long enough to have logged completely bizarre finds, certainly nothing as negative as yours, but one was very unique and interesting. It was a bird feeder with the cache inside.

I found two like that on he same day a couple of weeks ago and there is another one about a half a mile from my house.

Last weekend while searching for a cache I came upon a pile of about 10 canadian geese that someone had

shot and tossed along side a seasonal road.

When I recently went to do a maintenance visit on one of my caches, I found a framed photograph of a young lad along the track a few feet away with various "witchcraft" type items such as a statue of the grim reaper and some plastic flowers. Spooked me out a bit, so I moved it all a bit further up the track! :ph34r:

Edited by Fuchsiamagic

I've found all sorts of things that have nothing to do with the cache that I went to find:

- I found a box full of momentos of a teenage romance buried a couple of feet from where the cache was supposed to be.

- I found a large brand new expensive piece of equipment (still in the box) while relieving myself not far from a cache

- I found a large rubber device (used for a stimulating activity unrelated to geocaching)

- A case of beer hidden in a drainage ditch near a cache

I'm sure there are other things that I've forgotten but these are the ones that come to mind.

I hid a multi near a natural spring that someone, decades before, had enclosed with a small circular wall.

Geezer Springs

9c26265b-71b0-47f8-bfd5-1be3c7d60723.jpg

At the trail entrance leading to the spring I found some kind of shrine, with what appeared to be statues of Catholic saints and religious themed candles.

Inside the spring pool were hundreds of exotic fish, such as would be found in an aquarium.

In the palm trees surrounding the spring I found all manner of oddities, including a dream catcher, a dangling CD, an angel, numerous plastic monster/dinosaur/action figure toys and a long, serrated kitchen knife. I learned later that the woods around the spring was home to a rather eccentric homeless youth who liked to run around in various stages of undress. :)

Naturally, I put appropriate warnings on the cache page. :)

Edited by Clan Riffster

Ok, so it technically wasn't when I was caching, as it was maybe 15 years before I got in to the hobby, but I used to love riding a bike down the woods at the end of my road. One day I was busy trying to find a good "camp" in the rhododendron when something shiny caught my eye. I had found a stash of maybe a dozen car badges, IE, the logo's like ford and etc. It wasn't until i took them home that I realised that whilst I was musing over them and collecting them up, I could have been at a fair bit of risk if whoever took them came back as I'd have been 9 or 10 at the time!

You know the feeling. You follow the GPS instructions to the letter. You turn up in the right location on to discover...that thing there. You dont know what it is, or why is there, but there it is just the same.

Whats the weirdest thing you have found?

Last weekend the geokids and I found a needle container in a tree! :)

Didnt open it to see if it was used or not!

Well - a while back i went hunting for a small cache behind a local store. There's a row of trees along the back of the back parking lot. comments said the cache was in the 3rd tree. There were 10 trees and it wasnt clear about 3rd from which end. When I checked the 3rd tree from the east end.....i saw this large black garbage bag in a large gap in the tree. Hmmm...could that be the cache? looks like there's a large can in it...

WHen I pull this thing out, the bag contains what appears to be a trashcan - bout the size of one i'd put in the bathroom - smooth plastic - oval shape - but no opening. Rubberish Feet on one end, but the other end was apparently sealed somehow, as if there was some sort of mistake at the factory and the lid never got separated, or was mistakenly sealed on the hole. Most bizarre thing i;ve ever seen. I have no idea what, if anything, was inside. I couldn't find a way of opening it, and didn't have any kind of tool big enough to pry it open with. I had my Swiss army knife, but was honestly worried about damaging the knife in the process.

I hid a multi near a natural spring that someone, decades before, had enclosed with a small circular wall.

Geezer Springs

9c26265b-71b0-47f8-bfd5-1be3c7d60723.jpg

At the trail entrance leading to the spring I found some kind of shrine, with what appeared to be statues of Catholic saints and religious themed candles.

Inside the spring pool were hundreds of exotic fish, such as would be found in an aquarium.

In the palm trees surrounding the spring I found all manner of oddities, including a dream catcher, a dangling CD, an angel, numerous plastic monster/dinosaur/action figure toys and a long, serrated kitchen knife. I learned later that the woods around the spring was home to a rather eccentric homeless youth who liked to run around in various stages of undress. :)

Naturally, I put appropriate warnings on the cache page. :D

Ok - obvious question - Male or Female? }:=)

- A case of beer hidden in a drainage ditch near a cache

I have also found a case of beer once, but that was placed by the owner of the long (30 km hike) multicache we were doing, to help us ease the pain a bit :)

I used to do an annual backpacking trip with a few friend in Sequoia National forest. We had a few rituals and one of them was stashing a six pack or two in a snow fed stream that was about half way up the trail for the hike on the way out.

Weirdest thing I have found was a water bottle, used to hold.. uhh.. recycled water, that was left two feet from the actual final on the cache.

This final was like, 200 feet off the trail, in the middle of bloody nowhere, in a freakin multiflora rose bush.. the _ONLY_ reason someone would get that bloody or messed up would be to get to the cache.

*grumble*

I didn't find this one personally, but found it on the website. You use the coodinates to locate a can of grain. You shake the can of grain to get the Llama to come to you across the pasture. The Llama has a board attached to its halter that has the final coodinates on it. This has to be the funniest and most creative cache I have ever seen.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7a01d&log=y

or GC41E2

Some of the wierdest things I have found:

-Last week right near a cache in the Nevada desert we found three picked clean small animal skulls and some small bones

-A couple of months ago we found a large black plastic trash bag full of 'adult' items about 20ft from the cache (it was over 300yds from the road). We took the bag and tossed it into a dumpster at the next stop.

-This afternoon while performing maintenance on a cache we found the decaying partial remains of a deer (the only identifying part was a hoof). Being that it is mountain lion country, we hightailed it outta there.

OH! your deer comment reminded me.

There's one a couple miles from my house, in a wildlands conservancy, on top of a mountain. On the trail to the first stage, there is a birdhouse nailed to a tree. Draped over said birdhouse is the leg of a deer. Well, _was_ the leg of a deer, now it's bones and a hoof, basically. The rest of the deer is in absentia. Just the leg, on the birdhouse. It's been there at least six months, and when I first found it six months ago, it was already bare bones.