Maintainance Protocol

Brice Family

Hey guys,

Im new to the sport and am having a great time. We found a cache on the weekend that was in despirate need of maintainance. Placed a maintainance icon on our found it post, but on further investigation we have discovered we are the third group to do so, and the first request of attention to the cache was made several months ago

My question is, Can I perform the maintainance myself or is it up to the owner. What if the owner has moved on from the sport. What is everyones advice?

Hey guys,

Im new to the sport and am having a great time. We found a cache on the weekend that was in despirate need of maintainance. Placed a maintainance icon on our found it post, but on further investigation we have discovered we are the third group to do so, and the first request of attention to the cache was made several months ago

My question is, Can I perform the maintainance myself or is it up to the owner. What if the owner has moved on from the sport. What is everyones advice?

In many cases, the owner is having 'life issues', and can't do the maintenance under the circumstances. Of course other times they have decided that caching is just not for them and fail to remove their abandoned geotrash. Sometimes, if its a nice cache in a good spot, the community will take over maintenance...sometimes it's not such a nice location and everyone would be better off if it were archived/removed.

Yes, YOU can perform maintenance, and sometimes you will be thanked by the owner.

One more thing you should know is that a 'Needs Maintenance' log is not counted as a find...no matter what you say in the text.

The owner is responsible. You are allowed to be nice.

Some folks log a maintenance issue and the owner doesn't care about that angle. Example. Some folks think owners need to run out and upgrade the swag to be something other than junk. Some owners let swag evolve as nature sees fit.

As a cache owner, I greatly appreciate it when another person does maintenance on a cache, but that usually consists of replacing a logbook or something. I don't think I've ever had anyone replace a container, but I tend to make sure the hide is durable and won't need much maintenance when it's placed.

As a cacher owner, I hate the NM log type. I used to think it was good, but now I don't. I've had it added to some of my caches where the cacher just couldn't find it, with the log saying, "Cache appears to be missing, owner needs to check on it right away." So, I do a maintenance run and find the cache there and in great shape.

If I find a cache that has problems, I'll look up the owner. If they haven't been on in 9 months, there's really no need to write a NM log because it probably won't get fixed, so I'll write a note about my discovery and usually a local cacher will replace the container on their next trip. If I see a log that says a container has problems, and the owner doesn't cache anymore, I'll sometimes drop a new container there.

If the owner is active, I'll send them a private email letting them know about the problem.

Edited by Skippermark

Definitely help out with the cache if you can if it's something simple like replacing the zip-lock the log is in or putting a sharp pencil in it.

If it's something like a logbook or container that needs replacing, it's probably best left to the owner to decide if he should do it, or ask you to do it, but notify him about it. Chances are he'll be very grateful that you're willing to help.

There is a cache not far from my house, "Don't Get Burned", whose owner is stuck on the east coast for an extended period of time, if not permanently. The cache is special to me because it was one of the very first I found when I got into the sport. The cache log was in horrible shape as reported by finders. I volunteered to replace the log, add a pencil, put it in a little zip-lock, and check in on the cache regularly for him.

He was so grateful he sent me a beautiful New Mexico Geocaching 2005 coin that I treasure now :ph34r:

3 needs maintenance logs with no response from the owner? Time for a "should be archived" log. Sometimes a cache just needs to be put out of its misery.

It's one thing to help out a responsible, but perhaps busy cache owner from time to time (I've been the beneficiary of helpful geocachers in the past), it's another to keep the cache of a irresponsible cache owner going. It only encourages neglectful cache owners who place caches with the intent of the community taking care of them.

Good point, Brian. Unless the cache is something "super special" like the oldest in the state, why should cachers maintain someone else's cache because they're irresponsible? If the owner quit caching, they should have adopted out the caches or archived them before leaving them in the woods to fall into disrepair. Let the cache get archived and open up the space for someone who will take pride in their hide and keep it maintained.

Good point, Brian. Unless the cache is something "super special" like the oldest in the state, why should cachers maintain someone else's cache because they're irresponsible? If the owner quit caching, they should have adopted out the caches or archived them before leaving them in the woods to fall into disrepair. Let the cache get archived and open up the space for someone who will take pride in their hide and keep it maintained.

If the cache is abandoned it should be replaced.

If the owner will get to it as time and life allow, they are doing exactly what they need too. It's not up to anyone else to decide when time and life have 'allowed' though a lot of gnashing of teeth over that takes place. BrianSnat had to rely on the community to maintain a cache when he hit a rough spot. He didn't actually need to do that because 'as time and life allows' means you are allowed to heal first. If someone does choose to heal and not rely on the community, they shouldn't be punished any more than someone who does rely on the community.

All of that gets back to my first sentance. If it's abandoned. The only logs that get my 'better put it on the list' are the ones that indicate that the cache container is busted, or missing. Damp logs get put on my 'hmmmm how the heck did a container that shouldn't get wet, get wet list which goes on my "when I'm in the area on other business I'll look at it" list.

I only see two needs maintenance logs, and one is the one posted by the OP. The other was logged slightly less than a month ago.

The cache owner was last online Sept 8 and last found a cache in early May.

Its wayyyyy too early to be posting Needs Archived or calling it "abandoned". This could very well be a case of "life issues". I'd suggest an email to the cache owner perhaps would be in order.

Edited to add: While there are only two Needs Maint logs, many logs prior to those state plainly that the cache log is soaked and tattered.

Edited by knowschad

Unless the cache is something "super special" like the oldest in the state, why should cachers maintain someone else's cache because they're irresponsible? If the owner quit caching, they should have adopted out the caches or archived them before leaving them in the woods to fall into disrepair. Let the cache get archived and open up the space for someone who will take pride in their hide and keep it maintained.

I perform maintenance on a "special cache", the first in my country; the owner is missing since 2004. I planned to ask to adopt the cache after the third maintenance visit, but this is no longer possible. All I could do was to ask the reviewer to remove the "needs maintenance" attribute (which he did - many thanks).

If I find a cache that has problems, I'll look up the owner. If they haven't been on in 9 months, there's really no need to write a NM log because it probably won't get fixed, so I'll write a note about my discovery and usually a local cacher will replace the container on their next trip.

The cache I talk about had notes about the need of a new container for some time, and 17 cachers before me found it in the meantime, some of them saying the same, but nobody changed it. I went and added a container, and said that the cache will need a new logbook soon (added a few pages for emergency). I added the logbook this year, some logs mentioned the logbook becoming full, but nobody changed it, and somebody "cleaned out" the emergency pages. The cache is 200+ km from my house (125+ miles), so there are several more local cachers, but it looks that around here the community doesn't help keeping caches going.

I don't carry a cache repair kit while caching, unless I know I will do maintenance on a specific cache. If I read the logs mentioning that the cache needs maintenance, I will either do the maintenance, or choose not to hunt the cache. If I find a cache needing maintenance, all I can do is alert the owner.

Went on a 2.3 mile hunt this morning. Found four, didn't find two. But one of my finds had been muggled. That's the first time I've found one like that:

Beaver_chew_1.jpg

Beaver_chew_2.jpg

There was evidence of where it was originally hidden (you notice these things after your tenth or so find) so I replaced it there and logged these pics along with a note. Fortunately the contents were undamaged, even the logbook, and were dry, so it must have happened recently.

Unless the bears have learned to unscrew things, it was muggles :ph34r:

A cache near me was in bad shape with a badly cracked light weight tupperware type container. Several people noted it in the logs and when I found it, the condition was worse than described. About a week later I went back and replaced the container, put a note in the log including a comment that I would hold the original for a while if the CO wanted it back. Didn't hear a thing - ever - and after three months tossed the original container.

If you can make it better, I don't see a problem with doing so. Just be reasonably sure you're making it better.

If the owner will get to it as time and life allow, they are doing exactly what they need too.

To what point? Some of these caches have sat there in bad shape for a year or more with no action or response from the cache owner, not even a note. It doesn't take more than a few seconds out of time and life to post a note on the page saying "New baby just arrived, my dad's the hospital and hubby's shipped off to Iraq so it may be a while before I can get there".

BrianSnat had to rely on the community to maintain a cache when he hit a rough spot. He didn't actually need to do that because 'as time and life allows' means you are allowed to heal first.

Actually I did need to. When I was unable to maintain my caches and a problem cropped up I posted a note on the cache saying it might be a while before I could get there. I then solicited help from the community in the regional forum. To do anything else would have been irresponsible.

If someone does choose to heal and not rely on the community, they shouldn't be punished any more than someone who does rely on the community.

In most cases all people want is some sort of indication that the owner is aware of the problem and will get to it as soon as possible, which goes back to my first paragraph. If the owner chooses to ignore the issue, then his cache might be archived and he will have deserved it. It's about taking responsibility for the stuff you leave behind.

for me, i have simply tried to contact the owners via email and describe what i found, and i have offered if i can help with a new container, etc... i will be glad to help. In most cases the owner does have 'life' issues (don't we all) that prevents them from getting out to the cache, so hey, i dig out a container and try to replace the same as it should be.