Hawaii Topo Map Released

-Oz-

I've just released my next topo map... Hawaii (yes, it is random).

Hawaii Custom Topo Page

The forest service lacked trails for this map so I had to deal with what I could get from the State GIS clearinghouse; if you have any definitely send them my way; recompiling a map this small is easy.

• Topo Map Features:

• Roads - Interstates, highways, roads, limited unpaved roads (Tiger 2007)

• High resolution water data - lakes, rivers, streams, marshes, and washes

• Federal & State Land Usage - Wilderness area, national parks, and military bases/ranges, native american reservations, state parks, wildlife preserves

• Borders - County and state boundary lines

• Elevation contours - 30ft intervals (equivalent to or greater than 24k)

• GNIS Points of Interest - summits, mines, falls, dams, cemeteries, towers, populated places, etc.

• Hotels & Harbors

• Trails - Na Ala Hele State Trails and Access System

• Parks POI - trailheads, camping sites, forest service huts within the national parks/forests

• ~100k Grid Segments - no segment larger than 2.2mb means older GPSr's can use this mapset

Screenshots

A few screenshots so you can see the quality:

1222151891.jpg

And a comparison:

1222152067.jpg

Any issues or questions let me know.

Hawaii Topo Map Download

Also, I have released two new tutorials: How To Install MapSource If It Didn't Come With Your GPS and How To Load Maps On My Garmin GPS Unit.

Any questions, suggestions, errors, etc just post them here.

Oz, give this a look. There seems to be a registration error in the road data. Here I have a waypoint at past the end of Koko Mai Drive, which is where I was:

Waypoint: N21.42994 W157.93832

Here is a link to google maps: LINK

I'm thinking that the Tiger road data is off to the SouthEast, with the DEM and water correct...

I'll check some other waypoints in other areas when I get a chance.

CN2009:

66f451e1-c1ba-4563-9c47-8eefd1985001.jpg

TOPO 2008:

71154729-e558-4267-afb0-5ce285381471.jpg

HI 24K TOPO:

585a218f-d19f-484a-82f1-6bff6f6c2f41.jpg

Here's a example of Ford Island in Pearl:

4376d3bc-99f2-456f-9fb1-eacf5036021c.jpg

Edited by coggins

There seems to be a registration error in the road data.

I'm thinking that the Tiger road data is off to the SouthEast, with the DEM and water correct...

Oz, I had the same issue when I built files for Hawaii. In GM, I converted all the Hawaii Tiger data from local datum to NAD83. I later found a metadata note at http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/tgrshp...tgrshp2007.html that mentions Oahu is already in NAD83.

This solved the issue.

BTW, have you found a source for Federal Lands (NPS, FS, BLM, BR, military, etc.) data for the entire country?

Well, you're right. Oahu was the issue. I am working on rerendering that area right now. Hopefully tomorrow or the next day I'll have the fix. The other roads should be correct.

Not to pile on but a few of us out here in Hawaii got very excited and loaded this on our units. The roads and points of interest are overlayed on to the topo incorrectly. Plus, the Lat/Lon of a known point is incorrect.

Let us know when you get this up and working. The screen shots look great.

I know the roads on Oahu are wrong and I just fixed that issue in version 1.1:

1222355328.jpg

By POI I assume you mean the GNIS points. I think you're correct because in the screenshot I posted they look off. I'd bet that for once they used a different projection. I will look into that as soon as I get home from work. i did however post the updated version with the roads on Oahu fixed (they were good on the other islands as far as I can tell since thats where I took the comparison screenshots.

Edited by -Oz-

I know the roads on Oahu are wrong and I just fixed that issue in version 1.1:

1222355328.jpg

By POI I assume you mean the GNIS points. I think you're correct because in the screenshot I posted they look off. I'd bet that for once they used a different projection. I will look into that as soon as I get home from work. i did however post the updated version with the roads on Oahu fixed (they were good on the other islands as far as I can tell since thats where I took the comparison screenshots.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the GNIS points. Sorry I missed that earlier. It looks like this is a state wide issue.

Sounds like Hawaii still needs another pass? I was looking at the last screen shot showing 3 views (Hawaii Topo, Garmin Hawaii, Garmint 2008) and it looks like there is an error in some of the points. Is that the GNIS that is refernced?

The ranger station and the gulch look to be offset a bit.

Yes, those are the GNIS points I was referring to. Gonna take a little trial and error to figure out whats wrong because the metadata for the GNIS is not exactly the most helpful :( I'll get it today though; hopefully by Friday i'll have a perfect version up but at least the roads are fixed for Oahu

Edited by -Oz-

Woohoo fixed all the errors in the Hawaii map. The datum was one that was native to hawaii (the same that most of the roads were in).

Anyway, as shown in the compare screenshot at the top and a sampling of random points the POI now match where they should be.

Updated Hawaii Topo

The new compare screenshot also shows how I have more federal/state land coverage and have trails that are completely missing from the Garmin maps. Please redownload (at least its small).