Geocoin Muggler....LOL

steel city babes

Okay so I was going through my IGM movement coins to see how they were doing and I came across one that appeared to be missing. I posted a note on the cache and sent email to the cache owner. Anyways I get a response from the next cacher. It basically indicates all the coins in the cache were gone except two, which I suspect were placed after the cacher in question supposedly dropped my coin. Well looking over the cacher's profile, I see the cacher was on two different continents...which isn't the problem...the problem comes that the cacher found two rather large geocoin storage facilities (motels) and all the coins were posted as missing by the next cacher....which to me raised a little suspicion being that we are now on two different continents...so it appears as though this cacher has some bad mojo so to speak. So after that I check the profile and come to see after about 20 coins (I was disgusted :o or I would have went through them all) that most of the coins the cacher comes into contact go missing unless they were discovered at an event.

If I ever meet this cacher at an event I assure you I would mention the uncanny nature of all the coins going missing after the cacher placed them in the cache. Then I would tell the cache to remove their grubby little eyes from my coins...because I don't like the way you play.

This isn't a newbie either.....Bummer that there is such a schmuck out there.

I know this is giving free press to the jerk but oh well....just needed to vent hopefully the cacher isn't a cacher near you or it acts as a beware of geocoin muggler in an area near you.

If you would like to know the coin in question email me I will send it too you... and you can investigate and form your own opinion.

One of my coins was "found" by a cacher with a 2-year-old ID, 0 finds, 0 hides, 1 trackable (my coin), who will not answer emails and last logged on the day they "found" my coin. Nice, huh?

I have dozens of coins ready to be released in the wild, but my experiences with the few I've let go have pretty much killed any desire. I guess I will just stick some in caches as swag, with a note for the next finder to do with as they please. Might as well feel good about them being taken...

Steel City Babes, Your not that far from me, and I have had my soldiers tags dropped by friends of mine in caches and then the next cachers says there are not there. Well I got checking and it seems like it is always the same person who said the coin was not there right after my friends drop them. These people have dripped of well over a hundred so I know it's not them. I'd like to catch this one. What kind of thrill does this jerk get out of taking a Soldiers memory. I have had a few come up missing in W.Va. and N.C. and VA. USA 45

My husband and I refer to the Hampton Roads area as The Blackhole for TBs and geocoins. They come in but few make it back out. Some are so lucky as to make it all the way to Richmond and are then dragged back only to disappear. We definately have a coin theif in the area and it appears a taker of TBs too. When our Geojelly disappeared from a cache (it was for a game for area cachers), I decided I would not be activating anymore geocoins. I just don't get taking the geojelly. I've given away a fair number of them to area cachers. I've left them as swag (noted in the log book for the next cacher to trade fairly for the unactivated GeoJelly). If they wanted one all they had to do was e-mail me.

Hopefully your coin will make it back into circulation.

wow, seems as if every coin they come in contact with ends up missing unless it is in a collection to be discovered only. Something very fishy going on for sure. I'm not sure if you looked at his personal coins or not, but I thought it funny that although they appear to be released and in one of his own caches, but if you read the listing, the coins are evidently virtual coins and not actually in the cache.... strange.

I hope he stays out of my neck of the woods and my coins never cross his path!

its too bad that "trackables" are not truly trackable...as in...a small transponder device that could be attached to the item and then tracked and located by your GPS whever it strayed more than 300 yards from the last cache it was placed in (just like a "LoJack" theft system for vehicles). come on japan...invent this nano technology for us! we could also use it for less important stuff, like finding your kids when they get lost at the mall, or really really really important stuff like finding the remote control for the TV! :laughing:

SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo,...er

...um....

Hello, Groundspeak, Are you there???????

Does anyone, within Groundspeak, ever bother to check out these problems????

Check the accounts and BAN THES JERKS ????

Just wondering.

Opalsns

...um....

they already said they can't and won't ban people for stealing trackables because it can't be proven.

...um....

they already said they can't and won't ban people for stealing trackables because it can't be proven.

In some cases it can!!! Unfortunately, there are some people who the only thing they probably do is... taking coins from caches and do not place them in other caches! they are just keeping them! :laughing:

these are not Geocachers!!! That's for sure!

Example: Go to the Todies Wild ride thread and see post 16840. This is at least sad!

I had some experiences too wil coins that I lost! ;)

A guy was only registered just to steal one of my coins! Or at least that is showing! He found 2 caches only, and in his last found he took my Ark Mo coin! From that day he stoped ntering in the site!!! according to his logs, he had fun wit hthe game but... when he found my coin.... :P I emailed him but there was no answer!

So... in some cases..... we know who took the coin!!! ;)

...um....

Even if they are banned they can create another account and see the caches anyway, besides they know where the caches are, they will just become a muggle stealing coins. I learned once you release a coin or TB say good bye to it, if you have any personal or emotional attachment to it at all, you should not be releasing it. Hence the reason I have 35 activated personally owned coins that I lug with me in a binder to events. I am personally or emotionally attached to these so they will not be released.

You are right in that... :laughing: They can create a new account and here they are!

And they know the caches already! ;)

It is true... once you release a coin, you are saying good bye to it, but you always have a hope that you will see it again.... one day, right? :cool:

Except that... well.... at least for the ones you are letting to travell, you want to see them travell for a while! Unfortunatelly there are examples of coins that were stollen right after they were firtstly droped in a cache!

Other coins were lost or stollen from an event!!! An event??? Huh!!! ;)

My Texas coin went to an event and it is missing now! Miles that travelled?? Zero!!! :P After I adopted it, there were some cachers who discovered it, and it was placed in an event cache! after that.... B)

Sadly besides coins we have had caches stolen during events, one event in particular there were only geocachers out there and 2 different Ammo can caches came up missing between twilight and dark.(approx. 1 hour time span) They had both been found by several cachers during the early evening but the cachers that went in a little later reported them missing as did the owner. It is a very sad day when it is one of our "friends" that is the thief.

Being fairly new to Geo Caching and having a couple of my bugs go missing I have personally adopted a few rules of my own that I use. 1st I now only drop into premium member caches (ones that the average person can't get the coordinates for yes I do realize that even premium members can dissapear these but hope they are into the sport to play fair) and 2nd any bugs/coins I find, I only drop into premium member caches in hopes that they stay in the game.

Well I have been around here for two years, I don't have many finds but I for one do not see what fun it would be to steal a coin all the ones I have ever moved I enjoy watching to see where they end up. I am just starting to collect coins and the has made the decision on weather to activate or nor much easier. Now on the topic If you know forsure who it is call him out on the forums, to me it is just not right to steal a coin.

Similar thing has happened to me on several occasions. I started a TB hotel near the intersection of two major N-S and E-W interstate highways in the hope that people would be able to move coins and TBs in any direction. A local cacher dropped 8 coins from one of his trips and the next day they were all gone.

I ended up making it a premium member only cache to try to keep unfriendlies out. It seemed to work as I had nothing go missing for months. I wasn't getting many finds on the cache, so I reverted it back to a regualar cache. Two weeks ago, I had several more coins go missing.

I noticed that when the cache was premium, I could see who had viewed the cache listing and how often. It would be nice if I could still do this with a regular listing. I realize it wouldn't do me much good if someone kept creating new accounts, but it would allow me to build up quite a bit of circumstantial evidence to cache our local coin thief.

My 2 cents,

Tsnake