E Trex Track "Drift"

Grasscatcher

I'm in the process of trying to edit separate tracks from eight consecutive days of hiking for another individual. This is the first track data that I have personally seen that came from a Legend Hcx. I use a 76CSx so I don't have the problem.

I don't know what software or firmware version are in his unit.

In one location on one of the tracks, the trail was going around the base of the mountain, maintaining approximately the same elevation. At a random point, the track takes off (veers to the left approx 45 deg) up

the side of the mountain (steep,steep), still logging points at approx the same interval.

(The trail that the hiker actually stayed on continued on around the mountain maintaining approx the same elevation.)

The coordinates with each of the trackpoints (as the track erroneously went up the mountan) were correct for their bad locations, however, the elevation data for each of the trackpoints (going up the mtn) was logged as if the hiker stayed on the approx level trail .......which in fact he did!

At the upper end of the "bad" portion, the trackpoint elevation said 4196 (approx the same as the trail at the base of the mtn), while the elevation on the map contour lines at that point said 5000+.

Logging bad coordinates but correct elevation??

At that point, it "snapped back" to correct location and elevation with no Off/On or other correction/input.

Somebody please "splane" THAT one!

I'm just thankful that I don't have an e-trex.

Edited by Grasscatcher

I'm in the process of trying to edit separate tracks from eight consecutive days of hiking for another individual. .........

..........I'm just thankful that I don't have an e-trex.

Maybe it's better to post this "drift" issue in the topics that already excist. It's difficult to keep track ( :o ) of all these topics, if there are so many...

But....

The altitude is calculated differently than the horizontal position. In this article the calculation is explained...