Inaccurate cache distances

McDougal Funfeller

After a period of low activity, when I returned today to check my cache listings I found that many listed in the 97850 zip code are extremely inaccurate. For example, my cache "Magician" is listed as 3.8 miles, when it is actually about 1.1 mile, the former listing. "The Fisherman" is shown as 1.6 miles; it is more like 6.1 miles. First Class" is shown as 4.1 miles SE; it is more like 1.5 miles SW. Most of the other caches in this listing are at least as far off. What do we do to correct this problem?

McDougal Funfeller

Cachers download coordinates from Cache page, GSAK, and other reliable Geo Programs....We do not rely on where the center of a Zip code, or "goggle earth" etc. is and the cache container's relation to that center........Just coordinates that may or may not be dead on. Just as long as the fix (gz) is with in 20-30 feet of cache container. That is about all we can ask for. There are so many variables. Smooth Trails...

Not quite the same, but likely related... I was looking for caches within a certain distance (in miles) of a known cache... using the 'unfound by me' feature on the cache listing (similar wording at least, sorry).

The maximum range appeared to be about 50 miles radius, but at least one cache listed as being at the desired range and rough bearing was in the right direction, but at least 400 miles away in another state...

I have to go back and see if that replicates on another session, but it leaves me wondering how accurate that mode is... On another example and situation, don't you just hate it when that same mode gives you the 'crowflies' distances, not the one you have to drive to get anywhere close... I use the google map display to confirm the area... may not matter in the flatlands, but anywhere mountainous without passes...

it's a whole different ball game.

Doug VE7RXC

Not quite the same, but likely related... I was looking for caches within a certain distance (in miles) of a known cache... using the 'unfound by me' feature on the cache listing (similar wording at least, sorry).

The maximum range appeared to be about 50 miles radius, but at least one cache listed as being at the desired range and rough bearing was in the right direction, but at least 400 miles away in another state...

I have to go back and see if that replicates on another session, but it leaves me wondering how accurate that mode is... On another example and situation, don't you just hate it when that same mode gives you the 'crowflies' distances, not the one you have to drive to get anywhere close... I use the google map display to confirm the area... may not matter in the flatlands, but anywhere mountainous without passes...

it's a whole different ball game.

Doug VE7RXC

I live and hike in a mountaneous region and really prefer "having the as the crow flies" distance. It makes good sense to research the actual location of the cache rather than just auto-route to it without knowing what you're getting into.

My solution:

Go to the search page:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/

Enter your home coordinates as reported by your GPSr. Enter that in the search boxes provided.

The resulting page will be accurate. Bookmark the page in your browser and use that page whenever you want to do a search.

But what he's saying is that he did that, a long time ago and made a printout. Today he did a similar printout at the same zip code, and the distances are way different.

StarBrand's answer of the changing coords to most, if not ALL, zip codes is the reason.

Do the same thing next week, and you might also get even more different distances.

I'm unsure of the liquidity of the zip code database that groundspeak uses NOW.

Can we be given some definitive answer to this please? Many a ground zero cache seemed to still work in July after one recent change but are not working today after I don't know how many other changes. I think that there should be a zip code/database permanence rule and regulation that groundspeak has to abide by.