Halloween camping event - New Forest

Mad H@ter

I am in the earlyish stages of organising a camping event :o at Milford on Sea. As Halloween is not to far away I am giving early warning of this event prior to getting the listing published so anyone interested can pencil it into their diaries.

The event will be from 31st Oct to 2nd Nov, although we shall probably be there from 28th Oct.

PS Anyone know any good pubs in Milford on Sea :)

Oooh! We might be up for this one! We stayed in Milford on Sea for a week this time last year and it's really nice. Quite small though - IIRC there are three pubs (we ate at the Red Lion which was nice), plus an Italian and a good chippy. Down the road in Barton on Sea there's a nice posh restaurant called Pebble Beach.

MoS proved to be very handy for access to most of the New Forest and there are some good walks/caches nearby.

Apologies to all for being so slow getting this event published :laughing: , but it's been rather a busy week one way or another. I plan to write up the listing tonight but please rest assured that it has most definitely been sorted and WILL go ahead (approved or not :D). We shall be placing new caches, including a night cache :laughing: , there will be a Halloween theme including prizes for best costumes and best dressed tent/tin tent/motorhome/bivi, and yes a pub meet (so all can log) prior to myself & muddy legs (plus anyone else who cares to join us) departing for an organised fireworks display.

I've only been geocaching for a week or so, and I really wanna know what happens at these "events" as me and my Geocaching buddies where allready planning a camping trip around halloween, and this sounds perfect! Are there are pages on the great cyberspace about what happens on these "events"?

:) I might have to come!

I've only been geocaching for a week or so, and I really wanna know what happens at these "events" as me and my Geocaching buddies where allready planning a camping trip around halloween, and this sounds perfect! Are there are pages on the great cyberspace about what happens on these "events"?

:) I might have to come!

The link in post #9 gives you the Event page for The Big Freeze and that has a program of what'll be happening. :P The organisers, Moody Legs and Bad H@ter, are closely related to the couple who organised the very popular "Let's Go Camping in Oxfordshire" Event, so you might be interested to read the "attended" logs on that one to get an idea of what happened there.

At any Event cache you can turn up and then get as "involved" as you want: Cachers meet and mingle and go caching, sometimes just with their own group but often with other new people that they've just met up with. The Event organisers will have a log book for you to sign to show you were there. Usually some swapping of TBs and geocoins occurs too. I'm sure the organisers will give you any more info that you need, if you contact them through the link in their profile.

MrsB :)

Myself and Muddy Legs spent last weekend in the area making some preparations for the event.

We have now organised 12 new caches in the area including a night cache.

We have checked out the campsite and I have to say that it looks very nice and very well kept. There is a small games room with air hockey, pool, video games etc. An adventure playground for the kids and a small shop for your essentials. You can also use the facilities at the nearby Shorefields site which has an indoor pool, club house etc.

Whilst at the site I asked about the possibility of allowing non-camping visitors, and we were told that this would be OK providing that there are not too many. So in response to this we are going to allow visitors, but to keep some degree of control on this situation this will be by prior appointment only. If you think that you might like to visit, please contact me through my profile.

If anyone is considering attending but don't have the necessary equipment for the electric hook-up, please get in touch, I may be able to help out.

:ph34r: I might have to come!

Hi Jackday

I think that MrsB has summed up camping events pretty well. IMHO I think that camping events are the best type of events as it gives you the opportunity to get to know other cachers much better. Since attending/organising camping events we have started some great friendships which now extend beyond caching; I would recommend it to all.

I do hope that you decide to attend as I'm sure that you will enjoy yourselves.

I have had a call from the campsite and they are no longer willing/able to keep the 20 pitches reserved for us for the event. It was always understood that the reservation would only be for a limited time, so it was not a surprise.

What this does mean is that they will not be able to guarantee you a pitch in the same area, although they will do their best to keep us all together. But the sooner you get booked up the less likely this is to be a problem, so please don't leave your booking until the last minute.

Also you may not be offered the 10% discount that has been negotiated, if this does happen please contact me and I will do my best to sort the discount out for you.

As a reminder for those yet to book here is a copy of the planned program for the weekend:

Friday: 6pm* Kids Trick-or-Treat around cachers tents

7pm* Halloween fancy dress

8pm* Night cache

Saturday: 10am Details of new caches given out

5pm Meet at The Musketeer, Pennington. All are welcome

6pm Muddy Legs & Mad H@ter are off to Lymington & Pennington Firework Display

Please do feel free to join us.

9pm* Chilli & baked spuds at the Phillie's

* Times may be subject to slight change

Please remember that if you are not camping and would like to visit the campers, then this is by appointment only, please contact me through my profile.

Please don't be shy, get booked up now, I'm sure that this will be a great weekend :(

:lol: I might have to come!

Go for it.. Camping events are great :D

We would be up for the event if it was not 180 miles each way.. You will have a great time :D

:lol:B) The 2 organisers seem ok too :D:laughing:

Take your woolies and make sure you take your sense of humor as well, I am sure it will be a blast

As a "cousin from the Colonies" and fairly new new geocaching I must say that those in the UK have elevated multi's to a high art form. While visiting Lymington last month I very much enjoyed finding the clues to the coordinates for the Lymington Park Multi (GC1C0HB) however, when it came to finding the cache where I planned to leave a tb I had no joy. There was a ferry to catch so reluctantly I abandoned my quest.

Since returning home I have pondered what I might have missed or misread. Since I don't know when I'll be back in Lymington I wondered if any of you who are successful with this one could send me a photo of the location of the final cache.

Enjoy your weekend! I wish I were there.

tandemstoker