Buyer Beware!

LionsLair

:huh::huh:

:o:):D

I just lost a rather extensive post somewhere... ugh!

lets try again...

This is not a post to slander anyone or cause deflamation to but a post to let other coiners to beware when dealing with this person.

I'm not naming names, but I will say the person in reference has been brought up before for shady handling of sales of coins.

I recently purchased a coin from the Eplace and after 2 weeks I emailed this person about it's whereabouts. I recieved no response so I emailed again after 3 weeks. I was told to give it 3 more days and if I haven't recieved it by then she would send me out another if she had it. It has now been 5 more days and no coin in sight.

I went to the Eplace to contact her about this item yet again, and when I get there a message pops up..."this person is no longer a registered Ebay user"???

I thought it strange when I saw that all her artist edition coins were being sold, but figured she just needed the $.

I have a couple of questions maybe someone can answer:

1. Is this persons account frozen at the Eplace because others have filed complaints through PayPal and that is the reason she is no longer a registered user?

2. Although only $12, Is there anything I can do besides filing a complaint with PayPal?

3. should I chalk it up to lesson learned and slap the taste out of her mouth if I ever get the chance?

4. I plan on a bombardment of emails through her website addy but was wondering if I could get into any trouble with GC.com if I started contacting her through her profile and she used the 'turn this in as abuse' feature?

I'm a bit :D about this right now and just wanted to let others know to beware

I guess I should have listened to others a couple months back when I was being told to beware myself...

;):mad::mad::mad:

lets try again...

This is not a post to slander anyone or cause deflamation to but a post to let other coiners to beware when dealing with this person.

I'm not naming names, but I will say the person in reference has been brought up before for shady handling of sales of coins.

I recently purchased a coin from the Eplace and after 2 weeks I emailed this person about it's whereabouts. I recieved no response so I emailed again after 3 weeks. I was told to give it 3 more days and if I haven't recieved it by then she would send me out another if she had it. It has now been 5 more days and no coin in sight.

I went to the Eplace to contact her about this item yet again, and when I get there a message pops up..."this person is no longer a registered Ebay user"???

I thought it strange when I saw that all her artist edition coins were being sold, but figured she just needed the $.

1. Is this persons account frozen at the Eplace because others have filed complaints through PayPal and that is the reason she is no longer a registered user?

2. Although only $12, Is there anything I can do besides filing a complaint with PayPal?

3. should I chalk it up to lesson learned and slap the taste out of her mouth if I ever get the chance?

4. I plan on a bombardment of emails through her website addy but was wondering if I could get into any trouble with GC.com if I started contacting her through her profile and she used the 'turn this in as abuse' feature?

I guess I should have listened to others a couple months back when I was being told to beware myself...

I would not bombard her through her profile! That could get you in trouble with GC. They do have a website that might have contact information.

First of all, deep breath :o

Ok, now. As a buyer of any item on Ebay, you simply need to know what protection you have as a customer. I'll assume you've paid by Paypal, since in a few weeks that will be the only accepted method of payment. If you have, you get a window with which to file a claim. I think it's 45 days from payment, not auction close. Please go look it up and confirm. If you feel that you've got no other alternative, you open a dispute against the seller. Describe in detail what has happened, and the communication you've had. If the seller fails to issue an immediate refund, Paypal will refund your money when the dispute reaches a certain time limit.

This is all assuming your seller decides to not issue a refund first. There's obviously a lot of speculation about this situation, but you have protection in this case regardless. That doesn't make this situation any more fun, but you will not lose out financially. May not get your coin, but it sounds like you're riding in a packed boat down a fast river.

TMA

lets try again...

can you tell me the names becauses i have the same problem with one seller

thank

... 1. Is this persons account frozen at the Eplace because others have filed complaints through PayPal and that is the reason she is no longer a registered user?

2. Although only $12, Is there anything I can do besides filing a complaint with PayPal? ...

1). Most Likely but nobody will tell you the real deal to protect the guilty at the expense of the innocent.

2) You can file a police report. The police will then priortize your 12.00 loss with their other pressing concerns and odds are nothing will happen. But you never know. At that point you can hire your own PI to ferrett out the case and then hire an attorney to prosecute them as is your right. You can run it through a trial paying the PI and the attorney and when and if you when you can collect your 12.00, attorneys fee's, expenses. She may or may not pay up, odds are she won't have the money to pay the fees and expenses so you would have to file a lein on their house at your personal expence and then stand in line as their likely crappy credit puts you at the end of a long line.

Before you do #2 you should stop and ask "is this worth my trouble?" Then do what causes you the least aggrivation and lets you live the most happy.

Oh, and always name names lest you protect them from what? The truth of the matter? Why would you allow others to follow in your footsteps when you know there is a problem?

Edited by Renegade Knight

... I'll assume you've paid by Paypal, since in a few weeks that will be the only accepted method of payment....

eBay really isn't in it for customer convenience are they? They have finished the transformation from a great online auction place to corporate money monger that happens to run an online auction.

Any time I've turned to eBay for help on any issue they have proven to be worthless. I've lost my faith in them.

......Oh, and always name names lest you protect them from what? The truth of the matter? Why would you allow others to follow in your footsteps when you know there is a problem?

I'm protecting no one! The majority of folks know who I am refering to, anyone that doesn't can PM me and I'll tell them. I feel no need to scrape them through the coals and call them out in a public forum. besides, I am trying not to have this thread locked by the mods because I mentioned names and they feel I am trying to do nothing but start a flame war.

back on topic, I filed a complaint with PayPal, we'll see what is up... I wonder how many others that don't read the forums but are expecting something from them, will be disappointed when they realize they've been duped and taken advantage of?

as the topic states.... Buyer Beware! I'm just trying to warn others before it's too late and time to do something lapses and nothing can be done....

Any emails sent through the geocaching.com system with the intent of harassing, haranguing, bothering, stalking, threatening, barraging or otherwise, can result in your account being locked/banned. Use the seller's website to contact the seller about the problem.

Also, ebay problems are not geocaching.com problems. Problems with ebay and ebayers should be posted in the ebay forums. There is not much Groundspeak can do about ebay issues.

I also was a purchaser of one of the last coins . And saw on the weekend that they were no longer a registered ebay user . I sent a personal email and was told my coin was in the mail. It is still early and i choose to believed in this person . It wasn't a huge purchase. I feel sorry that a star has fallen from the sky in such a flame out. But this was not the first and will not be the last . To add to the Drama of these forums.

LionsLair if you email your paypal address to me I shall send you 12.00 I know I will be repaid by the person whom you speak of. Please, anyone else reading this, don't flame me. I am only trying to be of help to someone who really needs it. And bring some smiles back to the forums. Jodi

thanks for making it sound as if I'm being so meager as to needing the $12, but I'm not that bad off. The $12 is not the issue. It's making others aware of the FRAUD that is taking place by this person and taking money from people and never intending on sending them a thing!

oh wait.... I read in another thread that they are having problems and that we should all wait for several months in order for them to straighten it all out...

lets see...

smells like BS, tastes like BS, looks like BS, lets not assume its cake!

Thier personal problems are no concern of mine, as mine are no concern of thiers. I just think that if they are going to sell geocoins whether it be from here, ebay or thier own website then they ought to be held responsible for doing so in a reasonable time and manner. And if they can't and are blatently taking peoples money for a tangible item that they can not furnish or produce then others need to be made aware to stay away from any dealings with them.

First time, shame on them

Second time, shame on me

I'm doing what I can to let the community know that dealing with them has been and still is an issue.

As far as I'm concerned, If they were offering $12 coins for 12 cents, I'd stay away and avoid them like the plague. It's not me that ruined thier reputation, they did that on thier own but don't seem to even want to try to mend it in anyway...

If you're looking to give your $12 away that bad though, maybe you could send it to them, they are the ones that seem to need it....

Oh, and always name names lest you protect them from what? The truth of the matter? Why would you allow others to follow in your footsteps when you know there is a problem?

Being realistic here. Eartha's spot on about this specific issue not being anything Groundspeak can help with. As much as we all like to be fully informed, this is entirely an eBay issue now. Besides, this involves a pot that's been thoroughly stirred.

More importantly, this does serve as a perfect example as to why Groundspeak should immediately begin addressing the "approved vendor" list that's being discussed in another thread. The possibility of fraudulent activity by vendors found listed on geocaching.com is now a serious issue.

Simply put: Groundspeak's loyal users (and premium members) would be better protected if Groundspeak is more diligent in reviewing who they sell tracking codes to.

Edited by YemonYime

... 1. Is this persons account frozen at the Eplace because others have filed complaints through PayPal and that is the reason she is no longer a registered user?

2. Although only $12, Is there anything I can do besides filing a complaint with PayPal? ...

1). Most Likely but nobody will tell you the real deal to protect the guilty at the expense of the innocent.

2) You can file a police report. The police will then priortize your 12.00 loss with their other pressing concerns and odds are nothing will happen. But you never know. At that point you can hire your own PI to ferrett out the case and then hire an attorney to prosecute them as is your right. You can run it through a trial paying the PI and the attorney and when and if you when you can collect your 12.00, attorneys fee's, expenses. She may or may not pay up, odds are she won't have the money to pay the fees and expenses so you would have to file a lein on their house at your personal expence and then stand in line as their likely crappy credit puts you at the end of a long line.

Before you do #2 you should stop and ask "is this worth my trouble?" Then do what causes you the least aggrivation and lets you live the most happy.

I think that number 2 kind of sums it up and that is why so many people get burned. It's easier to rip off 10,000 people for $1 each than to rip off 1 person for $10,000. If you lose $10,000 you will WANT your money back. If you lose a dollar, oh well, what's a dollar.

Edited by Eric K

Whoa.. Lionslair. I was not implying that you were in need of 12 bucks. I was just trying to be a kind person and trying to help. Yes, I understand that fraud is fraud. I am not going to discuss that here. It has been hashed out in other threads. I was just trying to find a solution for one person, you, so that perhaps you could go to bed feeling a bit better. I guess I will stay out of the mix from now on. Sorry if I caused you any grief. mea culpa! I will keep to myself.

I've been trying to stay out of these types of threads but it seems the 'having personal problems' is becoming the new excuse.

This bothers me for a few reasons.

1. No need to mention vendors but others that have had personal problems have come in, posted, and kept people informed. When this is done, people here are understanding, as one persons tagline says, "It's a coin, not a kidney."

2. It is starting to sound like the 'The boy who cried wolf' syndrome. I feel that now if something horrible happened to me and my coins got delayed if I came in and posted it, it would seem like a lie even if you are telling the truth.

3. It has become the norm that these people can't own up for themselves and their friends have to post for them.

4. EVEN IF IT'S A FINANCIAL EMERGENCY IT IS STILL MORALLY WRONG AND ILLEGAL TO TAKE SOMEONES MONEY AND NOT DELIVER THE MERCHANDISE.

5. We have all seen numerous occasions when a member of this community has had financial or health problems that others will help by selling thier coins for charity.

6. People want to act like a business when they are making money, but when something goes wrong they don't want to assume the risk of running a business and then thier selling coins was just a 'hobby'.

7. Now buyers and vendors are in a tough spot. What if a vendor has legitimate delays and keeps everyone well informed. As a buyer do you NOW still want to wait until after the 45 day paypal limit before filing a claim?

8. If money was taken for a PRE-SALE and no coins have been delivered where does all this money go? Why is it not refunded?

9. If you took pre-pay money and didn't get the coins made the worse you would be out of would be the die fees, art fees (if you outsourced your art) and the sample fees. Once again, where does all the other money go? Even if you had to pay the die fees, art fees, and sample fees there should still be enough left over to partially refund the buyers.

10. How is it some people have one mint delay after another after another after another yet other vendors can mint 50 times more coins and not have these same delays over and over? An occasional delay is understandable. I've had some, but on every coin? Then it's time they start using a new mint.

Edited by Eric K

Being realistic here. Eartha's spot on about this specific issue not being anything Groundspeak can help with. As much as we all like to be fully informed, this is entirely an eBay issue now. Besides, this involves a pot that's been thoroughly stirred.

More importantly, this does serve as a perfect example as to why Groundspeak should immediately begin addressing the "approved vendor" list that's being discussed in another thread. The possibility of fraudulent activity by vendors found listed on geocaching.com is now a serious issue.

Simply put: Groundspeak's loyal users (and premium members) would be better protected if Groundspeak is more diligent in reviewing who they sell tracking codes to.

That's a partial solution with a price that's too high. It may protect some buyers on first generation sales. It won't help any 2nd generation or non tracked coins. it puts Groundspeak in the business of approving who can and can't make a personal coin since it's not just vendors who would be targeted.

I want my vendor market open to all comers. Not just the approved few where artifical scarcity creates artifical demand.

Also, ebay problems are not geocaching.com problems. Problems with ebay and ebayers should be posted in the ebay forums. There is not much Groundspeak can do about ebay issues.

Geocion problems are germain to this forum. People who are frauds when it comes to geocoins are fair game to be called out. eBay, Craigslit, vendors etc. are just locations where transactions take place.

I for one am very interested in this topic. As a rookie, and obsessively insane, Geocoin collector, I've had to resort to the E store to purchase coins that catch my eye. My wife will tell you that I have gone over the deep edge :o

Anyway, after putting two and two together, and getting some information from LionsLair, I have determined that I have purchased a couple coins from this seller. Just last week, as a matter of fact. The thing is, I received my coins as fast as I've received any others I've purchased there. What made me question who it was after reading this post is I went to leave feedback after getting my coins and got a notice that the seller was no longer an active member on the site. I thought this was pretty weird, but didn't give it another thought until now. I guess I'm an exception, for which I am happy. I get really irritated when I get burned in an auction. Yes, it has happened before. And it will probably happen again. I know the risks of these types of transactions. You just have to weigh the risk/reward ratio. But that's just my two cents worth.

That's a partial solution with a price that's too high. It may protect some buyers on first generation sales. It won't help any 2nd generation or non tracked coins. it puts Groundspeak in the business of approving who can and can't make a personal coin since it's not just vendors who would be targeted.

I want my vendor market open to all comers. Not just the approved few where artifical scarcity creates artifical demand.

RK, I guess I'm just not understanding what you expect to happen here on this forum. If it's for someone to name the names of people who are ripping people off, it's just not going to be allowed here, no matter how much we both agree that the information would help people.

RK, I guess I'm just not understanding what you expect to happen here on this forum. If it's for someone to name the names of people who are ripping people off, it's just not going to be allowed here, no matter how much we both agree that the information would help people.

Yime, I totally understand your point and I realize it's flagrantly against the rules of the forum, but I have to take the other side of this. If I got badly ripped off in a coin deal, and all other channels of remedy had failed, I would absolutely use the forums as a last recourse and accept any penalty that GS lays on me for it. Anyone who buys, sells, or trades coins should be kept honest by the knowledge that if they cheat people, their names will be dragged through the mud and they'll never make a deal again.

Then again, whether $12 constitutes "badly ripped off" is a judgment call that I don't think I have to make out loud. Just expressing my opinion on the theory of things, not necessarily to be applied in this particular case.

That's not entirely accurate - look to the recent threads about a specific vendor that is having issues. That thread was allowed because it was about facts and actions, not a personal vendetta.

When things go wrong, it's ok to talk about them with facts. Groundspeak isn't interested in this becoming a flame-ground, but they are not interested in letting folks continually be ripped off either.

It's a fine line to tow, and if you're not sure about something I suggest pinging either Eartha or myself to ask first. As she noted elsewhere talking with Groundspeak about a number of things including an approved vendor list, de-listing companies that have had issues, and listening to opinions in many other threads that are currently going on.

Yes, actions should be taken on eBay if there are/were eBay transactions involved - that is where you will get real action and recourse.

The coin that is being discussed was sold by my daughter for me. I first heard of this coin not being received when this thread was opened. I emailed LionsLair on 9/22 and told him that I would replace the coin if one was available or if not available, refund his entire payment. I left another message on Paypal 9/25 and told him I was replacing the coin. He replied late last night that he doesn't want the coin, he wants money. This coin was mailed on 9/2 along with many others. This is the only coin that was not received. Feel free to inquire with eBay regarding this account and see if there has ever been a complaint that an item was not sent after an auction. You'll find that has never happened. It was the buyers choice not to purchase insurance..but I don't want hard feelings, so the coin will be mailed today. I hope when and if he should receive the original coin, from his neighbor down the road after a week or so, or where ever it might be...he check the postmark and at least be big enough to admit his mistake.

*snip* It was the buyers choice not to purchase insurance..but I don't want hard feelings, so the coin will be mailed today.*snip*

Just as an FYI for any Ebay seller, since this is mostly an Ebay thread. Buyers DO NOT have to buy insurance for you to be liable for lost shipments. Sorry. Not the case. Buying insurance is like burning the $2 in your front yard. The only difference is, with insurance, you have a "chance" (yes I mean chance, not a guarantee) that the buyer will receive his/her lost funds and you'll be spared. Provided they go through USPS and not Paypal, and provided you can use a source other than Ebay to prove value.

If you do not use delivery confirmation, signature confirmation, or another form of proving it hit their mailbox, Paypal will refund their purchase price 100% of the time provided they file in the 45 day window.

TMA

*snip* It was the buyers choice not to purchase insurance..but I don't want hard feelings, so the coin will be mailed today.*snip*

Just as an FYI for any Ebay seller, since this is mostly an Ebay thread. Buyers DO NOT have to buy insurance for you to be liable for lost shipments. Sorry. Not the case. Buying insurance is like burning the $2 in your front yard. The only difference is, with insurance, you have a "chance" (yes I mean chance, not a guarantee) that the buyer will receive his/her lost funds and you'll be spared. Provided they go through USPS and not Paypal, and provided you can use a source other than Ebay to prove value.

If you do not use delivery confirmation, signature confirmation, or another form of proving it hit their mailbox, Paypal will refund their purchase price 100% of the time provided they file in the 45 day window.

TMA

You're right..and I will definitely require a signature when I mail this today. Thank you for the information.

The coin that is being discussed was sold by my daughter for me. I first heard of this coin not being received when this thread was opened. I emailed LionsLair on 9/22 and told him that I would replace the coin if one was available or if not available, refund his entire payment. I left another message on Paypal 9/25 and told him I was replacing the coin. He replied late last night that he doesn't want the coin, he wants money. This coin was mailed on 9/2 along with many others. This is the only coin that was not received. Feel free to inquire with eBay regarding this account and see if there has ever been a complaint that an item was not sent after an auction. You'll find that has never happened. It was the buyers choice not to purchase insurance..but I don't want hard feelings, so the coin will be mailed today. I hope when and if he should receive the original coin, from his neighbor down the road after a week or so, or where ever it might be...he check the postmark and at least be big enough to admit his mistake.

water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned.

I learned my lesson about giving second chances. If the 1st coin arrives I can assure you that you will get it back. If the second coin arrives, you can keep the money. If I don't recieve what I purchased, then yes, I want my $ back. In 2 years I've never had a problem with over 400 coins being delivered to my address with one exception which was a postal error, however with only 4 neighbors where I live it was delivered to me with minor delay. I'm not saying lightning can't strike twice, but the odds are against it.

btw, in your 9/22 pm you stated your son in law sold it, now it's your daughter. None of my business, but you can't sell it yourself? seems they have enough on thier plate were they don't need to add more.... Just an observation as I don't know any of you, but the reputation is starting to filter through the woodwork.

Just resolve the issue and you'll never have to worry about me having any dealings with you again.

That's not entirely accurate - look to the recent threads about a specific vendor that is having issues. That thread was allowed because it was about facts and actions, not a personal vendetta.

I stand (more like, sit) corrected. That was extremely informative to the geocoin community, and serves as a great example of how people can spread the word about questionable practices within forum guidelines.

...at least be big enough to admit his mistake.

B) Here we go again. :P

Oh, the irony in you suggesting this...

The party you've consistently defended here was proven to have misled paid customers, yet refused to admit their mistakes! It's long past the time to still be deflecting blame and counter-attacking victims with veiled accusations. Family loyalty or not, people are still without coins and/or refunds, and it's not their fault. If you are here to give updates, could you please just focus on posting solutions?

Just wanted to add I checked the ebay account you mentioned and unless you are jualadesigns or geocoindesigns then you were not the seller. whom I add has had at least some issue as the feedback score is not 100% and would be even less than what it is if I was able to leave feedback, however the account is not a registered account any longer and the transaction between that account and myself has also been too long for me to do so.

I have no idea where you even came into the picture, other than you always seem to show up to defend your daughter when something arises and she is on the defending side of an issue. Until I posted a complaint with paypal, I never knew you existed.

PS- be more than happy to sign for the coin. just send it....

Edited to add:

I would like to formally appologize for my first post. As 'slapping the taste out of her mouth' was never an option and I in no way meant it as a threat to do so. Bad choice of words on my part used to blow out steam over this situation. Please except my appology. - LionsLair

Edited by LionsLair

What part of "my daughter and her husband sold this coin for me" aren't you getting? And as to why I didn't sell it myself..well, I'm old and not very knowledgable regarding the computer, not that it's really any of your business. But as I told you on Paypal..feel free to contact eBay and inquire as to if there has ever been an instance of an auction of Jauladesigns being won, paid for and not sent. You will find that not once has this occurred. It did not occur in this case. I will send you the tracking information through Paypal for the replacement I am sending.

I'm going to suggest that since this appears to be an issue between two parties, that it be taken offline for direct communication. We are toeing the line of:

6. Private discussions: Sometimes, a discussion thread strays off into a friendly dialogue or a heated debate among a very small number of users. For these exchanges, we ask that you please use the Private Message feature that is provided through the Groundspeak forums, or the Geocaching.com e-mail system. Public forum posts should be reserved for matters of interest to the general geocaching community.

For someone who is "old and not very knowledgable regarding the computer" you seem to be pretty good at posting in defence of your offspring. Where is that offspring anyway? :P

I'm 25 and fairly knowledgeable regarding this computer, I've got some code compiling in the background right now; but I don't have an ebay account. It happens.

Anyway, why not take a nice deep breath, maybe make a cup of tea, relax... and give it a couple of days for the replacement to arrive. It looks like she's doing her best to sort it out. CB are obviously having some troubles right now, Paula didn't pass the info to her mom that you didn't get the coin. But now she knows and is trying to fix things.

Well I also bought a coin before their account was locked down by Ebay. I emailed and was told that the coin was delayed being sent by shipping materials shortage but that it had been sent. Usually i have to wait 7 to 10 days for the sled dogs that carry the mail to arrive. And i am still in that time frame of the wait since the email. But i would like to be to say that my coins arrived when they show or if they dont show so people in my situation can act on what they have to do. If its file a paypal grievance Or maybe a little hope that they will get what they payed for . I have traded with them before and had no problems so i hope that it will continue . I was just concerned by the ebay lock down or status change. But I Am still waiting. Maybe if it snows the dogs can go i little faster...

Here's the status of the replacement coin:

Label/Receipt Number: 7007 1490 0002 7094 3685

We attempted to deliver your item at 10:34 AM on October 1, 2008 in Panama City, FL 32404 and a notice was left. It can be redelivered or picked up at the Post Office. If the item is unclaimed, it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

We attempted to deliver your item at 10:34 AM on October 1, 2008 in Panama City, FL 32404 and a notice was left. It can be redelivered or picked up at the Post Office. If the item is unclaimed, it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Prompt delivery after this post! :P

Prompt delivery after this post! :P

yes, I recieved notice today of delivery after I got home and checked my mail.

I will go to the post office tomorrow after work and sign for it. with mail delivery at mid day and not knowing WHEN to expect it, it's not worth it to take off from work to wait for it. I've been waiting a month, what's another day, right?

Sad it had to come to this. and I hope others are learning from it.

Now, how should we go about the Titanic re-mint? Care to answer that one?

Here's an update on the status of this coin:

Your item was delivered at 3:52 PM on October 2, 2008 in PANAMA CITY, FL 32404.

As an apology that I didn't know the item wasn't received, I sent him the copper AE coin in place of the silver that was lost enroute to him.

Edited by TheNumber1Bop