Saturation rules

Crid

The cache saturation guideline applies to all physical stages of multicaches and mystery/puzzle caches, as well as any other stages entered as "stages of a multicache." The guideline does NOT apply to event caches, earthcaches, grandfathered virtual and webcam caches, stages of multicaches or puzzle caches entered as "question to answer" or "reference point," or to any "bogus" posted coordinates for a puzzle cache. Within a single multicache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between waypoints.

Are you looking for more detail...if so, please post again since it looks like you suffered from a Forum Hiccup...

Are you looking for more detail...if so, please post again since it looks like you suffered from a Forum Hiccup...

Very odd. It timed out after 45 seconds when I made the original post but I saw the post appear so I figured it had done it after all.

I'm looking for guidance on the saturation rules. Specificially where they do and don't apply. For instance:

- Does the rule apply to stages of a multi? Does it make any difference whether they are answers to be found or micros containing parts of coordinates?

- What about that start point of a multi/mystery cache?

- Can you place a cache near an Earthcache, since that doesn't have a physical container?

I think the previous poster answered some of my questions.

Very odd. It timed out after 45 seconds when I made the original post but I saw the post appear so I figured it had done it after all.

I'm looking for guidance on the saturation rules. Specificially where they do and don't apply. For instance:

- Does the rule apply to stages of a multi?

To the best of my understanding...if it is your own multi...stages within that multi can be as close to eachother as you want them. If you are talking about someone else's mulit...then I treat each stage as if it was a stand alone cache...meaning the .1 mile guideline should be respected.

-Does it make any difference whether they are answers to be found or micros containing parts of coordinates?

Simple answer...yes, it does matter, but again it also matters if the stages in question are within the multi in question. If you are asking about different stages within different multi caches...then again, I personally treat them as stand alone caches and use the .1 mile guideline.

Again...it depends...are you using a container or a some sort of reference like a sign or informational post...

- Can you place a cache near an Earthcache, since that doesn't have a physical container?

It would be considered good form if you were to ask the owner of that earthcache for permission...

I think the previous poster answered some of my questions.

- Does the rule apply to stages of a multi? Does it make any difference whether they are answers to be found or micros containing parts of coordinates?

It does not apply to stages within the same multi-cache. For example, stage 2 can be 50 feet from stage 1. But both of them have to be 1/10th of a mile from any other cache, or any physical stage of any other multi-cache, or any physical container or stage of a mystery/puzzle cache.

If it's something you've placed there, it counts. If it's completely meaningless (bogus) coordinates, with nothing you've place there, and no reason to go there, it doesn't count. If it's an exiting object that you did not put there, such as a sign or building, that's used to answer a question, it also doesn't count. If you did put it there, it counts.

Yes. Same for existing virtuals and webcam caches.

It does not apply to stages within the same multi-cache. For example, stage 2 can be 50 feet from stage 1. But both of them have to be 1/10th of a mile from any other cache, or any physical stage of any other multi-cache, or any physical container or stage of a mystery/puzzle cache.

If it's something you've placed there, it counts. If it's completely meaningless (bogus) coordinates, with nothing you've place there, and no reason to go there, it doesn't count. If it's an exiting object that you did not put there, such as a sign or building, that's used to answer a question, it also doesn't count. If you did put it there, it counts.

Yes. Same for existing virtuals and webcam caches.

Stupid question....what about an event cache? (Prime Suspect refer to unpublished "Woot!")

Within a given multi there is no proximity as to how far apart the stages be from one another. When placing any physical cache or stage of a multi listed as 'Stage of a multi' the rules applies to any other physical cache or stage of a multi listed as 'Stage of multi'. If a stage of a multi is not a physical container it may be listed as 'question to answer' or 'reference point' instead of 'Stage of multi'. The 1/10 mile rule does not apply to any stages of a multi so labeled.

If the start point of multi/mystery cache a bogus coordinate where there is no physical container it does not apply. Reviewers generally can tell whether the start point for a puzzle is a bogus coordinate (as the real coordinates are listed as an additional waypoint). They might not be able to tell with a starting point of a multi that is a question to answer or a reference point for an offset. A reviewer note can help them determine if the proximity rule applies. As a courtesy to other cachers, it is probably not a good idea to put your bogus coordinates or reference point directly on top of someone else's cache as this tends to hide the cache on maps or on GPS units.

The guideline does not apply to EarthCaches, or to grandfathered virtuals or webcams.

...- Does the rule apply to stages of a multi? Does it make any difference whether they are answers to be found or micros containing parts of coordinates?...

Per the quote in the first post it looks like it both does and doesn't apply to the stages of a multi cache.

You missed (or misunderstood) the last sentence:

"Within a single multicache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between waypoints."

It's about as clear as it can be.

Your own cache can have stages 10 feet apart if you felt compelled to do so. But each of those stages needs to be at least 528' apart from any other cache or stage of cache, assuming all stages are physical containers. Plaques, numbers on a benchmark, etc., are not physical stages and wouldn't be applicable to the saturation guideline.