TB lifespan?

chuck3

How many TBs make it to where there supposed to go? Im new to geochaching and am thinking about sending somthing somewhere (not sure on either option) and I want to know the possibilities of it making it back home after its journey. Ive been browsing the TB threads and it seems that a lot of them tend to dissaper. Is that most of them or are these the only ones we hear about? do the majority make their journey and are just un-celebrated on the forum?

Not 100% sure but can only go my own experience.

I realsed 6 TB's and 1 never made it to its first drop off and disappeared. One other is in the hands of a fellow cacher that has has it for months. The rest have moved some.

There have been some suggestions on how to get a travel bug to stay "alive". Don't make it cute or a sought fater item. Its less likely to disappear. Also a nice big hole drilled through it helps too...lol

Search this forum for other suggestions.

How many TBs make it to where there supposed to go? Im new to geochaching and am thinking about sending somthing somewhere (not sure on either option) and I want to know the possibilities of it making it back home after its journey. Ive been browsing the TB threads and it seems that a lot of them tend to dissaper. Is that most of them or are these the only ones we hear about? do the majority make their journey and are just un-celebrated on the forum?

I don't know if anyone could give you the percentage of TBs that actually complete their missions. Remember, many don't have any objective - their owners just release them for random travel and simply enjoy watching their journey.

If you intend to send your TB 'somewhere', then make sure you put a mission statement with it, or attached to it, when you release it. When it 'arrives' you could always ask whoever owns the cache at its destination if they would mail it back to you (offering to pay the mailing costs, obviously) - That way at least you'd be fairly sure to see it again! :laughing:

OR, some cachers post their TB to a cacher in another part of the country, or the World, and ask them to drop it into a nearby cache so that it can then make its way back home.

I feel that most of the fun in having a TB (or geocoin) roaming in the wild is the randomness of the adventure.

MrsB :laughing: