Warning to Kincardine ON Geocachers and visitors.

lordzogat

Attention Geocachers visiting the Kincardine, ON, Canada Area looking for Geocaches in the Kincardine Trails system, please exercise caution. Although this may be of no great concern its still worth mentioning.

A 1 - 2 year old black bear was seen on the East side of Hwy #21 running into the wooded area, in a direction heading east and away from the known Kincardine Trails Geocaches.

Please always use caution when walking along the trails that are not consistently monitored by fish and game officers.

Edited by lordzogat

ive ran into lots of bears; not in kincardine mind you!

Kincardine has a lot of green space and this doesn't suprise me. I worked for a few weeks at the Nuke plant and saw some of the pristine forests that act as a buffer zone between the plant and the public. Saw a nesting pair of bald eagles, and a herd of giant turkeys that were the size of velociraptors! .. wait a sec.. :laughing:

It is a good idea to put the warning on here because, for those that live in southwestern Ontario, black bears is not something that they have to deal with unless they are camping / hiking in more northern Ontario. It will take the majority of the population a bit of time to get used to the bears being more south than they have been in recent history. This past summer there were also bear sightings as far south as the Strathroy area.

It is a good idea to put the warning on here because, for those that live in southwestern Ontario, black bears is not something that they have to deal with unless they are camping / hiking in more northern Ontario. It will take the majority of the population a bit of time to get used to the bears being more south than they have been in recent history. This past summer there were also bear sightings as far south as the Strathroy area.

Brendah, that is quite interesting, about the bear sightings that far south. I have seen bears standing on the 400 but in my time living in Stratford area, I never even saw sign. And, that was only six years ago, just before the provincial government canceled the spring bear hunt.

Yes, we near northerners are way too accustomed to having black bears in our back yards. And yes, most bears will turn and run if you warn them you are in the area with loud talking, bear bells, or just walking as if you own the trail. It seems that southerners will have to learn the ways of the black bear, and not let the fear overtake them.

Mag.... we found it quite interesting too :ph34r: . Here is a link to a article that was written in the London Free Press about the sighting http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Local/200...24/5972316.html

So far there has not been any panic that I know of but unfortunately there are too many southerners that think that wildlife does not belong in their backyard. For example, a couple of years ago there was a major upheaval in a new subdivision in St Thomas over the foxes that were living there. The people did not like the foxes being there in their backyards and wanted something done about it! I couldn't believe it when I heard this on the news so I doubt that those same kind of people would accept black bears as a regular part of the area.

anyway... that is my venting done :mad:

Edited by brendah

What do you do when you run into a wolverine though!

I am used to seeing Bears up at my cottage, didn't even find it weird when I saw a cougar (which only happened once mind you). When I came across a wolverine though.. wow. I didn't know WHAT to do. At first I thought it was a bear.. then a 200 pound skunk... then logic set in.

I know they have a bad reputation, but has anyone ever heard of a wolverine attack, REALLY?

Brendah, that is quite interesting, about the bear sightings that far south. I have seen bears standing on the 400 but in my time living in Stratford area, I never even saw sign. And, that was only six years ago, just before the provincial government canceled the spring bear hunt.

Yes, we near northerners are way too accustomed to having black bears in our back yards. And yes, most bears will turn and run if you warn them you are in the area with loud talking, bear bells, or just walking as if you own the trail. It seems that southerners will have to learn the ways of the black bear, and not let the fear overtake them.

We have had black bears in Limehouse (near Milton). I've also encountered Black Bears on the trails near Shelbourne and Orangeville. They're not as common but Southern Ontario is certainly not outside Black Bear range. When I go camping on the Bruce Peninsula, most of the campgrounds have that "YOU ARE IN BEAR COUNTRY" pamphlet at the park entrance.

You don't have to be in the Kincardine area to run into a bear..or in insurance lingo, have a bear run in to you!

I had a way too close encounter with a black bear last saturday night...Bear 1, mini van 0.

Driving a rental until I get a new vehicle...ok, it was old and ugly but it ran well. Van is a write-off!

You're right about not having to be in the Kincardine area. Today we had a close encounter with a bear running out from the Copeland Forest (near Hillsdale north of Barrie) and crossing Highway 93. It barely before crossing the road because it saw our car. Would have hit us and we couldn't have avoided it. Second time we've had such a close encounter, the first in Penetanguishene the bear missed the car by about a foot.

JD