When will Oregon's successor come?

freqflyer

Hi!

I bought the Oregon in August, but returned it since I wasn't very pleased with the drifting. It was always way off! My N95 8GB mobile created better tracklogs with just 2-3 meter off track, while the Oregon was often between 80-100m off.

So, when will the next Garmin outdoor model come? Will it be before next summer? Do you think the time period between Oregon and it's successor will be as short as between Colorado and Oregon?

Thanks for you help! :huh:

But isn't the Oregon replacing Colorado, 60CSx, and Vista/Legend?
Not in my opinion. IMO, the CO/OR are aimed at the cost no object, paperless hide-n-seek crowd.

The Colorado is the "replacement" for the 60CSx, but given the continued strong 60/76 sales, they should coexist for quite awhile. The Oregon replaces nothing, it is a new model aiming to bring touchscreen to the handheld market. The Vista/Legend at half the price of the CO/OR have their own niche and are unlikely to be replaced, rather refreshed on an ~2-year cycle.

My Nuvi 205W has the same chip as the Oregon and hiking an old RR grade in both directions, I was surprised that its tracklog was less precise than my Venture Cx. However, it was nowhere near the 100m you noticed. Until I did that RR grade, I didn't know which to believe, just that they were different, like this:

TracksTight.gif

All I'm asking for is a Oregon without the drifting :laughing:

I'm hoping that Garmin will release a touch-screen model like Oregon and with little/no drifting.

Your wish has been granted. The Oregon does NOT have any drift. The one with the drift is the Colorado. So based on your post, you should go ahead and buy an Oregon.

Angel

I purchased and then returned an Oregon 400t. I waited out the Colorado and thought I had found the replacement for the 60CSx. I am disappointed in several aspects of the Oregon:

1. You cannot see the screen almost anytime without backlighting. I do not understand the testimonials that I am reading. Am I the only one that notices that can see this. For $600 bucks, this GPS ought to knock your socks off with clarity and detail.

2. Manual and documentation is very skimpy. I eventually had to figure out most of the ways to do things on my own.

3. The menus enforce a heirarchial approach that is not intuitive. IMHO the screens out to be logically sequenced so that one activity leads to the most likely next activity. e.g. I have found a cache..well what will I do next?? Most likely tell the GPS to mark it found or find another cache. I should not have to navigate back through the menus to make those choices.

4. Insistence on premium batteries i.e. Lithium or NiMh. If you use Alkaline, then at about 50% of the batteries life, the screen will only barely light up. With this GPS, the backlight is a necessity.

5. I don't like using the compass screen to navigate to caches with the warning of "keep it level".

There are probably a few more items, but you get the idea. I cannot believe that the executives at Garmin, looked at this screen and agreed to let it go out like this--unbelieveable.

Peoria Bill

I purchased and then returned an Oregon 400t. I waited out the Colorado and thought I had found the replacement for the 60CSx. I am disappointed in several aspects of the Oregon:

1. You cannot see the screen almost anytime without backlighting. I do not understand the testimonials that I am reading. Am I the only one that notices that can see this. For $600 bucks, this GPS ought to knock your socks off with clarity and detail.

2. Manual and documentation is very skimpy. I eventually had to figure out most of the ways to do things on my own.

3. The menus enforce a heirarchial approach that is not intuitive. IMHO the screens out to be logically sequenced so that one activity leads to the most likely next activity. e.g. I have found a cache..well what will I do next?? Most likely tell the GPS to mark it found or find another cache. I should not have to navigate back through the menus to make those choices.

4. Insistence on premium batteries i.e. Lithium or NiMh. If you use Alkaline, then at about 50% of the batteries life, the screen will only barely light up. With this GPS, the backlight is a necessity.

5. I don't like using the compass screen to navigate to caches with the warning of "keep it level".

There are probably a few more items, but you get the idea. I cannot believe that the executives at Garmin, looked at this screen and agreed to let it go out like this--unbelieveable.

Peoria Bill

1. With full backlight (remembered by the OR not the CO) I can hike all day on a single set of batteries. Not as "fuel efficient" as the 60CSx but acceptable.

2. I have yet to see a Garmin GPS that had a good manual. This is not an OR specific problem. However, the wiki space for OR is fantastic.

3. The menu is customizable. And with multiple profiles you can customize each profiles menu.

4. Use rechargeables. Better for the environment.

5. Turn off the electronic compass.

Edited by Tequila

Couldn't agree more!!!

If you wish to understand the why of the poor touchscreen readability, read this post. What you and I desire, sunlight readabilty, is clearly possible and at $600 certainly should happen.