Can Topo Contour Lines be Disabled on Garmin Colorado?

george_k

Hi all,

I searched the forums, and I read all Colorado threads pretty religiously, so I hope this hasn't been answered already. Please pardon me if it has.

My question is: Is there a way to disable the topo contour lines from the map display?

When I'm in the automotive profile, I don't really care about topography, and I would like the display to redraw as fast as possible. For instance, sometimes I let the unit compute a driving route, then I want to scroll around to see which streets it has picked. If it's a fairly long drive, then I usually zoom way out, scroll over, then zoom back in near the destination area. In particular, the zooming out and scrolling while zoomed out seem to take forever to redraw on my Colorado 300. I was thinking that disabling the topo information would be one way to speed things up. Of course, any other suggestions for speeding up map re-drawing would be appreciated as well.

I'm using:

- Colorado 300

- 2.7 firmware

- basemap disabled

- Topo U.S. 24k (California and Nevada version) enabled

Thanks,

George

When I'm in the automotive profile, I don't really care about topography, and I would like the display to redraw as fast as possible. For instance, sometimes I let the unit compute a driving route, then I want to scroll around to see which streets it has picked. If it's a fairly long drive, then I usually zoom way out, scroll over, then zoom back in near the destination area. In particular, the zooming out and scrolling while zoomed out seem to take forever to redraw on my Colorado 300. I was thinking that disabling the topo information would be one way to speed things up. Of course, any other suggestions for speeding up map re-drawing would be appreciated as well.
Long answer short, NO!!!

You can show more/less detail, but you will lose minor road detail as you lose contours. If you want to see only roads, you'll need to load a road only map such as City Navigator.

Long answer short, NO!!!

You can show more/less detail, but you will lose minor road detail as you lose contours. If you want to see only roads, you'll need to load a road only map such as City Navigator.

Aw, man! Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for answering the question for me and saving me from more fruitless searching for a non-existing capability...

Thanks also for the tip about using CN, but I was hoping to get by "on the cheap" by using the Topo U.S. 24k (California and Nevada version) map, since it's just about perfect for my uses (I rarely travel outside CA, do mostly geocaching and hiking, and some road navigation. This product has detailed roads and auto-routing like CN (only for two states though) and the higher resolution contour lines for hiking. I guess I'll just learn to live with the slower redraw... :rolleyes:

Thanks,

George

or IBYCUS US Maps...free.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I did try that map (and one other free one, too), and it's not bad for free, but unfortunately, it doesn't do auto-routing and I found that in several areas (including right where I live) there was a position offset between where the streets actually are and where the map was showing.

So that's why I broke down and bought the 24k scale CA/NV map. So far it seems like the roads are spot on with this product.

Thanks,

George

So that's why I broke down and bought the 24k scale CA/NV map. So far it seems like the roads are spot on with this product.

Thanks,

George

How about if you turn shading off while street navigating. It won't turn the 24K contours off but might still speed things up? Under Advanced Map Setup there is Shaded Relief and Zoom Levels. Under Zoom Levels maybe turning off Land Cover would help too? The roads should be spot on since apparently (it has been mentioned) the MicroSD 24K Topo series includes City Navigator.

Edited by Ratsneve