Northern NJ Topo Map for Garmins GPS's

padlinfool

Based on some posts/links on this forum I was able to create a Topo map for Northern half of NJ from free sources. You are welcome to use these maps “at your own risk”. I am not an expert at the creation or installation of these maps.

The map is transparent (is visible through other maps like City Navigator) and has 20' contours. The area is generally north of N40 4.735. I have used it for a couple of weeks on my Vista Hcx and found it very helpful. I also created a map for water features of the same region. These maps show more detail than the Garmin US Topo.

I used this excellent link to learn how to create the maps.

Creating Custom Topo Maps for Garmin GPS

After downloading these maps, they will need to be added to your Garmin Mapsource software. Then they can uploaded to your GPS'r with the standard procedure. Remember you have to upload "ALL" your current map sets at the same time to your GPS’r ....as your current mapset will be ERASED!

These maps (.img files) may be downloaded from the following links.

Northern NJ Topo

Northern NJ Water

To add maps to your Mapsource software you will need to download this software/tools.

MapSetToolKit

cGPSMapper

I would create a folder called “Maps” and put the software and map files there.

Follow the directions outlined below to add the maps to your Garmin MapSource software.

1. Launch MapSetToolkit.

2. Click on the "Select IMG files" button. Select the map folder you made.

3. Select one or more img files, then click "Add" button.

4. In the Mapset Directory field, select the Maps folder that you created and click OK.

5. Enter a name (I used "NJ Topo Northern") in the "Mapset Name" field. (Space characters is allowed)

6. In Family ID, enter a number between (1 – 65535, I used 8000). Make sure this number is not being used in any other Families ID. (Look at “Mapset Installed” list box and verify that your FID number is not used.). Product code will be changed automatically to put the value 1.

7. Click on the "..." button beside the 'cgpsmapper' field and select cgpsmapper.exe file in your map folder and then click OPEN.

8. Make sure the "Install in Mapsource" box is checked.

9. Click the START button.

10. When all is done, check to see if your mapset is listed in the “Mapset Installed” list box. It should be there.

11. Repeat the process if you want to add the water map using a different mapset name and FID. Close.

12.Now start Mapsource, build your mapsets and upload to your GPS’r.

Hope this works for you Garmin users as I have enjoyed caching in the woods with these detailed topo’s.