Geocoin Amnesties

kifcog

I have been mulling over an idea for some time, particularly as I have had a number of coins vanish lately (I'm not moaning as I expect it to happen to a certain extant)

However, I wonder if people have taken coins from caches and then been "unable" to place them in a cache for whatever reason (I'm NOT saying they have stolen them, although that is a possibility of course!)

This has happened to me when I found a coin in the bottom of my rucksack that I had completely forgotten about taking months earlier - I placed this in a nearby cache as soon as I realized my mistake.

Anyway, I am sure that there are many people who would like to return coins to caches, but don't want to accused of being coin thieves, likewise I am sure that there are people who would be glad just to have thier coin back in circulation - so here's my idea!

A network of people around the world who are willing to have "missing" coins sent to them no questions asked! They should be willing to have their address posted somewhere so that returnees can simply post them to the amnesty person without having to contact them. They would then contact the owner and let them know their coin was safe before finding out what they wanted to do with it (eg, place in another cache or return to the owner)

I know I would be happy to do this service as I'm sure a lot of other people would, but at the moment I'm just canvassing opinion!

I can understand what you mean...I know someone who had grabbed a pile of bugs and then had some things come up, had to move, and lost them for months without ever even logging them. After an extended time, he was too embarrassed to take the credit. Luckily he gave them to me and we got it straightened out. He never has to admit to being the one, and the bugs get back into circulation. I'd be willing to be one on the list if we can think of a way to implement and spread the word. I can even post my address right on my profile.

I found a coin yesterday that escaped my TB bag. I thought I had left it at an event and indeed that is where it has been sitting for a couple of months. Oh well. I will log it and drop it in a cache. No harm, no foul. No need to mail it someone to do that.

Likewise I get messages all the time from people who discover they still have one of my coins and are soooo embarrassed. I jst tell them no problem. It happens all the time. At times we think the worst of others, when in reality we are all just human. If someone wants to call me a thief for a mistake like this, let them. I could care less. I refuse to do it to others.

Edited by larry739

I would certainly help with something like this but I see a challenge with it....

The majority of the cachers that visit the forum may well be like larry739 in that they understand that life happens and are so glad that one of their coins comes back that they really don't feel the need to call someone a thief. Experienced cachers I think for the most part would not be in need of this service as they would just apologize and drop the coin. End of story.

However, I feel that the newbies are more the type to feel embarassed about keeping a coin for a long time (say 6months to a year) and might be reluctant to drop it. If someone goes caching for one day and doesn't return to the game, but still has a coin...well, how are you going to communicate to these people that amnesty even exists??

And then if you are dealing with someone who took it but could care less about dropping it, then they won't send it to anyone regardless if they were the owner, or another cacher. These are people who don't intend to steal it but are too lazy to move it on it's way. I'm sure there are lots of these out there too.

So I am just not sure what group you could target to make any kind of difference. But certainly, it doesn't cost anything (other than time) to have the amnesty list so if it gets back even one coin it would be worth it.

Gosh, with so many caches around it almost seems easier to drop the coin in a cache than to go to all the trouble to package, address and stamp the coin to drop at the Post Office.

I think ALL coin owners appreciate someone finding their coin at the bottom of their swag bag and feeling mortified about it when they email with their apologies. Absolution is instant in that case and atonement is achieved by dropping the coin off in the nearest cache. Why create a bureaucracy to delay both atonement and absolution?

Gosh, with so many caches around it almost seems easier to drop the coin in a cache than to go to all the trouble to package, address and stamp the coin to drop at the Post Office.

I think ALL coin owners appreciate someone finding their coin at the bottom of their swag bag and feeling mortified about it when they email with their apologies. Absolution is instant in that case and atonement is achieved by dropping the coin off in the nearest cache. Why create a bureaucracy to delay both atonement and absolution?

I couldn't agree more.

With so many medical problems in these forums, just getting the coin back anyway possible would be nice, I guess sometimes it is easier to just mail a coin.

Thanks for the replies folks,

I think my attempts at being diplomatic may have led to confusion.

Whilst I think you are right about people experienced or otherwise dropping a coin in a cache and just apologising, what I am really wondering is about those people who have taken coins with no intention of moving them on who put them in a drawer and MUCH later have flash of conscience (I'm thinking time periods that couldn't be accidental!)

So really I would be aiming this at people who have "pinched" coins from a cache, who are still active geocachers and who want to return said coins without facing other peoples wrath (I've read some pretty nasty forum posts about genuine mistakes)

Anyway, that was my idea, there seems to be some interest so how should we go about it. A few people have mentioned a list of addresses, where is it? I have added my full address to my profile which seems like it could be a start!

Whilst I think you are right about people experienced or otherwise dropping a coin in a cache and just apologising, what I am really wondering is about those people who have taken coins with no intention of moving them on who put them in a drawer and MUCH later have flash of conscience (I'm thinking time periods that couldn't be accidental!)

So really I would be aiming this at people who have "pinched" coins from a cache, who are still active geocachers and who want to return said coins without facing other peoples wrath (I've read some pretty nasty forum posts about genuine mistakes)

As said above, these people can just drop the coin into a cache, no questions asked. They don't need to apologize or even log it. Nobody will know how it got there, but the owner will be happy to see it back in action.