NEW GEOCOIN - Cacher Crossing Geocoin

Team JSAM

We have just added a new geocoin to the in stock section of the CoinSwag store. The Cacher Crossing Geocoin is in stock and ready to ship. This coin is available in nickel and black nickel.

DSC05054.JPG

DSC05052.JPG

To purchase this geocoin please click here.

- If you purchased the coin during the pre sale your order is currently shipping.

This coin is trackable with a unique icon. The coin is 1.75" x 3mm.

Unique Icon:

icon32.jpgicon16.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Jake

What have I crossed to get a cache?

Well, over in Western Maine, I nearly crawled on my belly across a wire bridge which was swinging to get to the other side. I hate thing which swing so this was a major adventure.

Another adventure was down in Stonington Maine trying to get the Holt Mill Pond Preserve cache - who to heck knew you had to wade through water to get there - but you did. After the hike to the water section - I was determined - so I threw off my shoes and said, "I can do this" - and so I did.

For some neither of these adventures would be much but for an overweight, grandmother, who is a woosh - these were great accomplishments. The wading in the water one I did alone too!

Thanks for the cointest!

We took the niece and nephews to Flaming Gorge for a camping trip and, of course, checked out the surrounding caches. One cache in particular was a boat-in, but was showing up as really close to our campsite. Being as addicted as we are, we decided to try to swim to it. With three kids. And a large turtle floaty. :huh:

We swam for about 20 minutes in the direction the GPS was pointing, but after a 1/2 mile realized that there was no way to swim to it towing all the kids on the floaty! Ended up cliff diving for a while then walking out to hit some easier caches on the way home, but still had a great time!

Next year we will drag a boat up... B)

Surprisingly we've done a few of the 'riskier' crossings!

The toughest crossing was 'Determination'. This sure took determination too! The cache was located on an island, and the small 'pond' had a LOT of geese in it. You either went by boat, or in our case, waders B)

We had just finished at an event, so about 15 of us headed over to the site, and one by one we wore the waders and crossed the water. As you walked, you sunk a LOT - most of the time up to your knees, other times up to your thighs. Surprisingly nobody fell! It took about 15 minutes per person to navigate however!

2874283838_17c0d07e33.jpg

Mr FC is the log walker... he's walked a few of them, some high and some low but unfortunately they are nearly always over the water.

While caching in Montreal, QC (GC10HXV) we had to traverse a log that was a fair way above water level. Going across to the cache wasn't so bad. Mr FC was pretty solid and crossed the long crossing without incident. Coming back was a LOT more wobbly, but again, he made it and stayed dry.

Here's a pic of another log crossing with water underneath - grabbing the cache was the trickier part, but with a wee bit of balance, we made the retrieval.

2873454741_64fec8a13c.jpg

The last one I'll add here was a bridge, that wasn't... When we arrived at the site in the photo, there were just girders. A pile of boards lay off to one side. Since it was a few of us and kids, walking the girders wasn't practical, so being typical geocachers we placed the boards on the girders and made the bridge usable. We half expected a game show host to pop out of the other side :huh:

2873485785_23b9ac41e3_m.jpg

*minor edit to enlarge images.

Edited by fingers crossed

Most all of our "crossings" involve a picture of Brenda in action...here are a couple of them...

d0e7b40a-6db0-4133-a641-15164512ae56.jpg

7f6e11f1-339f-4082-9343-eadd183b7784.jpg

Our most memorable does not have any pictures. The 4 of us trying to cross a creek via a fallen tree. Brian went across, then Brenda...and then was the problem of getting a 4 year old Heather across. She and I sat, stradling the log, and scooting across a couple of inches at a time on our bottoms. It was amazing that we did not rip out the seats of out pants!

Well my story isn't as extreme as some of the other ones posted here, but to me, at the time, it was extremely frightening. My dad and I were on a small (2 mile) hike in a city nearby San Francisco called Pacifica. There was supposed to be one cache along the trail that I wanted to find. As my GPSr was leading toward the cache, I was forced to go slightly off-trail. Then, when I was less than 10 feet from GZ, a 3-foot snake crawled out of the bushes and began crossing my path. Now for the snake lovers here this is probable no big deal but I personally have an excessive fear of snakes and when this one came out right at my feet I let out a loud and terrified scream. The people around (including my dad) probably thought I was either crazy or terribly hurt. Finally the snake crawled away and I got calm again. The cache, however, resulted in a DNF. Who knows, maybe the snake took it away just to annoy me more.

Micke did a slight miscalculation on a cache and ended up on the wrong side of it.

He realized it, and after checking the coords and verifiying things, discovered he was only about 1km (about .6 of a mile) away from the cache and he decided that he'd go for it from where he was.

He ended up going over this bridge...

6bce2586-53a5-4b7d-ba06-5710d5290fdc.jpg

Then up a steep hill....

and then he had to "wade" through a field of burning nettles.

Of course, when he got to the cache it was muggled and gone, and the... he found the proper path to the car ROFLMAO!

It was one of those caching trips where I was glad I wasn't there!!

Edited by mousekakat