Library related geocache questions

Cushmaniacs

Hello all,

I am a librarian who is looking to place a few geocaches in connection with a month long reading program.

I am hoping to get a few answers to make sure I am going about it correctly.

1)

My primary concern is with regard to the Cache Permanence section of the guidelines. This event will only be going on for a single month. In the guidelines it states caches with a duration of less than 3 months "most likely not be published."

Is there any way I can get confirmation ahead of time before we put together our publicity?

I could certainly leave the caches there for longer but the "prizes" we have arranged will only be available for the month. This is doable and would only require me to change the documents hidden with the caches.

2)

One of the caches (the first in a two stage) will only be accessible during library business hours. It will be hidden in a planter on a very large balcony.

Unless i missed it. The guidelines did not mention anything about limited accessibility.

I would certainly mention in the cache description that it was only available during certain hours.

I could find a spot outside of this library...but a little library research is required to get the information for the second stage. Putting the cache "inside" made sense...plus it is such a great spot!

3)

Is any aware of geocaches sponsored by public libraries? In particular, caches connected to specific programs.

Cheers.

Edited by Cushmaniacs

I know several caches that are within libraries, but what was allowed for caches in the past is no indication of something that will be approved today. It says that in those same rules you mention.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

First and foremost please be advised there is no precedent for placing caches. This means that the past listing of a similar cache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the listing of a new cache.

P.S. I also know many caches that are only accessable during limited hours. Always a big disappointment to me when I'm 100 miles away from home. At least the ones 'outside' I break the law right and left to go get, but can't for ones 'inside'.

Edited by trainlove

Hello all,

I am a librarian who is looking to place a few geocaches in connection with a month long reading program.

Are these caches intended to be found by the general geocaching public, or only those involved in the reading program?

If only for those in the program, it would probably be best to just print out your own cache sheets, instead of publishing them on the site. This is often done for events, where the caches are only there for the duration, or are available to the participants before they are published for the general public.

Hello all,

Are these caches intended to be found by the general geocaching public, or only those involved in the reading program?

If only for those in the program, it would probably be best to just print out your own cache sheets, instead of publishing them on the site. This is often done for events, where the caches are only there for the duration, or are available to the participants before they are published for the general public.

The reading program is sponsored by 2 library systems that provide services all the residents of two counties. However, anyone who finds the cache, no matter where they live, could participate. There will be no library card requirement attached to the cache.

Hello all,

I am hoping to get a few answers to make sure I am going about it correctly....

1) For an exception to the 3 month rule. You can get permission from groudspeak or...just run the caching part of the promotion longer.

2) Limited hours is not a problem. It's part of the challenge. GPS usage though may be an issue. To be listed on this site a GPS has to be integral to finding the cache.

3) Public libraries are perfectly good sponsors of caches. You aren't commercial.

Hello all,

I am hoping to get a few answers to make sure I am going about it correctly.

1)

My primary concern is with regard to the Cache Permanence section of the guidelines. This event will only be going on for a single month. In the guidelines it states caches with a duration of less than 3 months "most likely not be published."

Is there any way I can get confirmation ahead of time before we put together our publicity?

I could certainly leave the caches there for longer but the "prizes" we have arranged will only be available for the month. This is doable and would only require me to change the documents hidden with the caches.

As long as you keep the final cache active longer than 3 months, the contents, the type of container, and even the location (within limits) can be changed. Most traditional (and larger than a micro) come stocked with swag to start things off but it's often replaced with other things very quickly, even for cache which try to encourage finders to follow a theme. You might even consider restocking the cache with appropriate items from time to time for other events.

2)

One of the caches (the first in a two stage) will only be accessible during library business hours. It will be hidden in a planter on a very large balcony.

Unless i missed it. The guidelines did not mention anything about limited accessibility.

I would certainly mention in the cache description that it was only available during certain hours.

I could find a spot outside of this library...but a little library research is required to get the information for the second stage. Putting the cache "inside" made sense...plus it is such a great spot!

3)

Is any aware of geocaches sponsored by public libraries? In particular, caches connected to specific programs.

Cheers.

I have found cache in a couple of libraries, and since I work in a library myself have been considering (and should really finish the job) placing one in our library myself.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, and is quite important is that the guidelines stipulate that the use of a GPS must be an integral part of finding the cache. Thus, if you place the first stage inside the library, you must provide in some manner a set of coordinates for finding the final container. You should not just publish coordinates for the entrance to the library and then got to the first stage which gives directions to the finale.

For one of the library caches I found the coordinates were used to bring you to a place where you gathered information (count the number of flower beds, the last number in the address, etc) to go form a set of lat/long coordinates which had a container with a Call Number. Then you went back into the library, found the call number on the shelf and discover a hollowed out book (actually an old book with a different cover that had the name of the cache on it). You might consider making it a three stage multi. The first would outside at the published coordinates, the second be found based on information in the first stage, and the coordinates for the finale derived using information in the library.

Hello all,

I am hoping to get a few answers to make sure I am going about it correctly....

1) For an exception to the 3 month rule. You can get permission from groudspeak or...just run the caching part of the promotion longer.

2) Limited hours is not a problem. It's part of the challenge. GPS usage though may be an issue. To be listed on this site a GPS has to be integral to finding the cache.

3) Public libraries are perfectly good sponsors of caches. You aren't commercial.

Yes you probably will need to contact Groundspeak. You can contact them at Contact@Geocaching.com

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, and is quite important is that the guidelines stipulate that the use of a GPS must be an integral part of finding the cache. Thus, if you place the first stage inside the library, you must provide in some manner a set of coordinates for finding the final container. You should not just publish coordinates for the entrance to the library and then got to the first stage which gives directions to the finale.

I was a little concerned about this but I think it will work OK.

The cache location is on a open air 2nd story balcony that sits on top of a car garage. It is possible someone walking around the building with their gps will think it is located in the garage.

Because of this I have decided to make it clear that the cache can only be found during "business hours". I might even state in the clue that one will have to walk through the library to find the cache.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Any additional ideas or concerns are appreciated.