Challenge cache etiquette

rosebud55112

There is a challenge cache near me, for which I am a long way from fulfilling the challenge and logging the find. The cache is located at the given coordinates.

This cache contain a geocoin which I would like to add to my trackables list. I know that I cannot just go to the cache and grab the coin, since I don't have the requirements for finding the cache yet. My question is: Would it be considered rude to go to the cache to "discover" the coin, leaving it there for the next legitimate finder?

I realize that I'd be doing it for the petty reason of collecting a cool icon, but.....

There is a challenge cache near me, for which I am a long way from fulfilling the challenge and logging the find. The cache is located at the given coordinates.

This cache contain a geocoin which I would like to add to my trackables list. I know that I cannot just go to the cache and grab the coin, since I don't have the requirements for finding the cache yet. My question is: Would it be considered rude to go to the cache to "discover" the coin, leaving it there for the next legitimate finder?

I realize that I'd be doing it for the petty reason of collecting a cool icon, but.....

My personal take is that it's not unreasonable to visit the cache and trade items, move along travelers etc. even if you are not yet ready to log the find. Unless the cache page says something to the contrary, I guess.

There's no problem with discovering anything that's at any cache that you can physically get to, no need to log the cache, but a note log would be ok.

But, I know of a challenge cache near me, the cache is on the owners property. I actually believe it's only outside his house when he expects cachers to go. Yes, I know that's against the rules. I know that the cache had several coins and bugs listed as being in it, but NONE were in it the day I completed the challenge. Perhaps you should contact your challenge cache owner to see if you will be thwarted in your desire to get another coin icon.

For the challenge caches that we've seen, most say it's okay to visit the cache and swap and trade as much as you want. The only stipulation is that you can't claim it as a find until you complete the requirements. But, you may want to check with the owner if the description doesn't say.

Edited by Skippermark

For the challenge caches that we've seen, most say it's okay to visit the cache and swap and trade as much as you want. The only stipulation is that you can't claim it as a find until you complete the requirements. But, you may want to check with the owner if the description doesn't say.

Seem reasonable. it does seem strange though to have the coords before the challenge is met.

Seem reasonable. it does seem strange though to have the coords before the challenge is met.

Mystery or Puzzle Caches

The information needed to solve the puzzle must be available to the general caching community and the puzzle should be solvable from the information provided on the cache page. For example, a puzzle that requires research on public websites in order to determine the coordinates may be acceptable, while a puzzle that requires sending an e-mail to the cache owner with the solution in order to obtain the coordinates may not be.

A literal interpretation of that sentence in those rules.

I agree that it really makes for a let-down to have done all the work and hundreds of people could have actually visited the cache site.

Edited by trainlove

The only challenge caches I know of that aren't at the posted coords are the DeLorme ones where permission was given from Groundspeak for folks to do that. Most of the "terrain/difficulty" types and others are at the posted coords.

A friend wanted to hide a challenge cache and give out the coords once people completed the requirements, but he was told that it wasn't allowed and had to put it at the posted coords with an ALR of requiring that finders not log a find until they completed the requirements.

That's a result of the current interpretation of the guidelines. I believe that Delorme/County challenges are the exception to this rule, but on a few recently listed challenges I've seen (such as an "alphabet" challenge) the reviewer required that the actual coordinates be available on the page (that is, not requiring an email to the hider). The challenge requirement is technically considered an ALR- if you log a find but haven't met the challenge requirements, your find is subject to deletion even if you've signed the log.

That's a result of the current interpretation of the guidelines. I believe that Delorme/County challenges are the exception to this rule, but on a few recently listed challenges I've seen (such as an "alphabet" challenge) the reviewer required that the actual coordinates be available on the page (that is, not requiring an email to the hider). The challenge requirement is technically considered an ALR- if you log a find but haven't met the challenge requirements, your find is subject to deletion even if you've signed the log.

I certainly wouldn't suggest that someone claim a find when they didn't meet the ALR, however that does not preclude them from visiting the cache to retrieve a bug. Different game altogether.

Note that the requirement is not that the cache be at the posted coordinates, but that it be possible to find it from public information. In other words, the final can be a puzzle or multi. What is not allowed is "email me for coordinates", just as that is not allowed for regular puzzles. The DeLorme-type challenges are exceptions, not the others.

The San Diego County History Adventures have multis for the finals.

I hid a challenge cache, technically titled an adventure due to current gc guidelines. I explicitly state that it's fine for anyone to visit the cache, you just can't log a find until you meet the prerequisites. At first, having read about the challenges where the location of the final is hidden, I felt a bit odd letting it all hang out. But once it had been published for a while ... like a few hours ... I was comfortable with it, and now I wouldn't do it any other way. Not for this cache anyway. In fact, it's been a significant advantage, because at least two of the finishers have found their last qualifying cache and the final on the same outing.

Edward