Quantity vs. Quality--How many EarthCaches do we want?

BiT

Another situation to contemplate.

How many EarthCaches do we want to start having? Does every waterfall, natural arch, cave, quarry, mine, or etc... need to be an EarthCache? Like every cemetery now having a geocache, or do we just want to have an example in a given area? How would you then define that area-US State, Canadian Providence, Country, World Region?

I have an opportunity to develop a lot more EarthCaches but I'm somewhat reluctant since they are not as "quality" orientated. They just don't have that "Wow" factor or what a cool location.

How many EarthCaches do we want to start having? Does every waterfall, natural arch, cave, quarry, mine, or etc... need to be an EarthCache? Like every cemetery now having a geocache, or do we just want to have an example in a given area? How would you then define that area-US State, Canadian Providence, Country, World Region?

I have an opportunity to develop a lot more EarthCaches but I'm somewhat reluctant since they are not as "quality" orientated. They just don't have that "Wow" factor or what a cool location.

I agree. I have done a lot of the EC's in Washington, while many are eduactional and have you think about the what you are seeing and may require more then a photo and reading a sign. There are only so many times I care to look at a glacial erratic before all the possible questions become copies of another EarthCache. Like wise I have done several recently that have IMO no educational value and are nothing more then lame virts. not what ECing was suposed to be and frankly I am shocked that they were ever published.

I would rather have fewer EarthCaches and truly have the educational factor rather then a more then are nothing more then a photo and read a sign.

Here is a concept.

If you veiw EarthCaches as a lesson in earth science, then each student deserves a complete set of lessons within their normal caching radius and that becomes a reasoanble limit. Worldwide there would be a lot of duplication. Locally though...they can enjoy a good run and learn a lot without duplication. With that there are super lessons. Unique things that you would have to travel to see at all.

I really don't see a big difference between an EarthCache and a virtual. Some of the EarthCache being published have no value at all in my opinion. Earthcaches are the new virtuals except you have easier guideline rules to follow. Apparently you don't need a "WOW" factor.

Edited by LadeBear68

I am actually surprised as to what is not in the guidelines. I enjoyed the couple Earthcaches I found but when all of a sudden there were two EarthCaches that I am familiar with were close together and the person doesn't live in the area I became concerned. I started looking at the Earthcaches out there and found that you can have "vacation" Earthcaches, commercial Earthcaches and they don't have to follow the .1 rule.

Unfortunately Earthcaches will have the same problems as virtuals and look what Groundspeak did to virtuals.

I am not saying get rid of the Earthcaches but I don't see how Groundspeak justifies getting rid of virtuals and putting out Earthcaches. Also if you are going relax the guidelines the quality will decrease and the quantity will definitely increase.