What GPS?

MouseZA

Hi there, only been caching for a couple of weeks now and am really enjoying myself.

I realize that there is probably another topic in the main forum around this, but I thought I would direct this at the South African comunity.

What GPSr are you using to cahce with ?

I only currently have my TomTom One XL which I must say has done me well so far in finding the caches but when they are close to the road I have a problem with it keeping me locked to the road.... and am not sure how accurate it would be to place a cahce.

What would you sugest as a basic GPSr to get ?

Does any one have a good second hand unit they are looking to part with at a reasonalbe price?

Cheers

Mouse :anibad:

Hey there !

Well, a combination of GPSrs is never a bad idea. Planning a caching day can be quite an involved affair. On a recent trip, we had a Vista, a nuvi AND a Legend on the dash, JUST FOR incase.. :anibad:

Check this... (Note three GPSrs and the massive map on the dash) All three were powered from one lighter plug.

We use the nuvi to get close, and then grab one of the handheld units to get closer still. ( And then we use a cellphone, cause we can't find the darn thing ! B) )

I received the following e-mail. Now this is a real GPS with 1 cm accuracy - if you buy one you can donate one to me - I will not refuse to accept it. :D

We had a surveyor out there on Tuesday to measure out this fence. The surveyor used two instruments…the main one, a GPS costing R500 000.00 consisting of two parts. He sets up the base somewhere on a pre-determined point on the farm and with the mobile unit and computer in a backpack, he pegs out the line, accurate to one cm. The other instrument…a laser unit, costing R150 000.00 he only uses when trees and bush is too dense, obscuring a true measurement from the satellites.

Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa