WWFM IV ~ 8th November 2008

thanks I found the suggested pages - do you have to have the event videod and food and all the swaps and raffle type prizes though?

In reality, folks do what they can.

Photos are good, the food or meal referred to is usually the offering round a bag of sweets! :)

Folks interested or who have attended other flash mob events around the world love to see the pictures. In practical terms it will be 6pm to 6.15pm at the beginning of the second week of November, it will be dark in the UK, so don't worry about anything more than snapshot photos, unless of course you have someone coming who is handy with a video camera.

The main bits are names on the log book, allowing folks to swap TBs etc and making sure they congregate exactly at 6pm and disperse exactly at 6.15 pm. If they arrive early they should blend in and not be too conspicuous, and not hang around afterwards.

Joe Public is meant to be scratching his head and wondering what just happened! :D

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

The main feature of a geocaching Flash Mob event is that everything has to happen within the 15 minute time slot. Cachers who attend do not drift to the exact pre-arranged location before the set time - They typically get to within 50 - 100m beforehand, then 'mingle' inconspicuously, with the muggle population so that nobody suspects anything is happening. Then, at the exact set time, they all converge on the location and spend exactly 15 minutes doing whatever's been arranged. Then at the end of the 15 minutes they should all disperse once more, leaving no trace of their Event (other than puzzled looks, perhaps, on the muggles' faces).

What else happens? - I think the minimum requirement would be that you must sign the official logbook to show you were there. Usually there's also some hasty geocoin and TB swapping, too. Any 'extras' depend on what the Organisers think they can slot in to the 15 minutes!

MrsB :D

Edited to add Snap! :)

Edited by The Blorenges
Post it they will come...

And if it IS just the four of you, what have you lost?

That makes me wonder what the least-attended event was. Has there ever been one where no one turned up? That would be hellish!

Tut tut Paul, isn't this a bit off topic, you'll get a ban if you're not carefull :D.

How about this one "Herts Cachers Meet (Herts!) y", just the one attendiee :). Organised by some cacher that went by the name of The Hornet, he must have said or done something to upset everyone!!

Edited by Mad H@ter

thanks I found the suggested pages - do you have to have the event videod and food and all the swaps and raffle type prizes though?

He's one way of doing it.

Last Flash Mob Cache in May, we had a Conga along Freemont Street in Downtown Las Vegas GC19E59, and then there was a separate Meet n'Greet Event afterward Here

So it was timed to precision for Assembly, Conga, Photo, have a draw for FTF and Disperse. :huh:

I'm going to one in Chester where I'll have to wear a hat! :) Quite looking forward for the hat wearing. One person wearing a hat isn't odd. But say if 50 people all turn up wearing STRANGE hats - I think the people of Chester should be mildly chuckled.

As for ideas, how about a stay still one, or pirates, or pillow fight?

Some safer than others! :D

Flashmob with care people:

http://www.flashmob.co.uk/mt/2008/07/four_...ed_flashmob.php

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/may/16/u...ocialnetworking

"Any such events, especially those potentially involving large numbers of people, must be given the proper licence by the council in advance." oooohh errrrrr!

Edited by pklong

and work out who gets FTF,

Don't forget to arrange the meal - Pass large bag of chips around :rolleyes:

Are these laid down requirements? I have seen a few mention on deciding who gets FTF, but it appears pointless to me, you don't decide a FTF for a normal event.

I know the meal is something small and can be anything from chips to sweets, but I thought a flashmob was about getting people staring and saying what is happening there, not for people to walk past and say that group of people are eating?

I'm not criticising anyone who has organised this, but as it has been mentioned a few times is it expected?

and work out who gets FTF,

Don't forget to arrange the meal - Pass large bag of chips around :santa:

Are these laid down requirements? I have seen a few mention on deciding who gets FTF, but it appears pointless to me, you don't decide a FTF for a normal event.

I know the meal is something small and can be anything from chips to sweets, but I thought a flashmob was about getting people staring and saying what is happening there, not for people to walk past and say that group of people are eating?

I'm not criticising anyone who has organised this, but as it has been mentioned a few times is it expected?

:santa::santa: I'm sure a meal isn't expected or required... I was just joking about the chips...

MrsB (... You could hand out gob-stoppers? :rolleyes: )

I think it is merely a suggested format ... HH it is your event, hold it how you (and maybe your punters) wish :santa:

In terms of the global count, it is really nice for the stats folk to know exactly how many people were present, as opposed to caching teams ... and of course flash mobbers from elsewhere LOVE to see pictures. :santa: Sooooooo, don't forget to smile! :rolleyes:

when did you order yours? Wonder if its to late now?

I ordered mine on 19th September. They haven;t arrived yet, but tat that stage I don't think they were even made.

I am unsure what the timescale is, perhaps you might get a more accurate estimate from the seller? :ph34r:

Just checked the website and says they aren't expecting to receive PT's until 20/10. Shall I risk it and if they don't turn up just use them as swag? Oh decisions decisions!!!

Just checked the website and says they aren't expecting to receive PT's until 20/10. Shall I risk it and if they don't turn up just use them as swag? Oh decisions decisions!!!

Well the point is this, if they are not expected til 20/10 mine won't be there til then either I'd imagine.

My last set of pathtags, which was a larger package (150) was posted in Michigan on 3rd October and was here on the 8th or 9th (I was away when they arrived).

So hopefully, with the wind in the right direction, they will arrive in time. There is a healthy pathtag trading group and also they do make good swag, especially in micros. You could also send them out to people who attended your event if they arrive too late, but I am hoping they won't.