Software Update - Summit HC & Venture HC

julianh

Fixes a range of minor issues (none of which seemed to actually affect me), but also supposedly fixed the POI Alarms issue. I will test this shortly.

Use Web-Updater to install.

I have tested it, and can confirm - POI Alarms now work as advertised - yay!!! I have tested a couple of audible POI alerts, and the unit now sounds the "approaching POI" and "departing POI" alarms, as it should.

Edited by julianh

These are the issues addressed by the update:

Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:

Add splash screen feature.

Improve distance calculation in odometer.

Fix system freeze issue.

Fix shutdown issue when browse detail map.

Correct user grid.

Fix screen fade in cold temperature.

Fix proximity alarm issue.

One further note: updating your software will wipe out all of your waypoints. If you use MapSource, you can reload the waypoints by transferring your maps and waypoints to the GPSr.

These are the issues addressed by the update:

Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:

Add splash screen feature.

Improve distance calculation in odometer.

Fix system freeze issue.

Fix shutdown issue when browse detail map.

Correct user grid.

Fix screen fade in cold temperature.

Fix proximity alarm issue.

One further note: updating your software will wipe out all of your waypoints. If you use MapSource, you can reload the waypoints by transferring your maps and waypoints to the GPSr.

Updated my Venture HC today. It went like a charm. Did not lose any waypoints.

One further note: updating your software will wipe out all of your waypoints.

This should not be the case - my unit kept all of my waypoints, track-logs and routes etc after the update. (I used WebUpdater to upgrade, and it worked fine for me - I am not sure what happens if you manually download and install the upgrades.)

For those who want or need to do a manual upgrade (rather than using WebUpdater), get the updates here:

Venture HC: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3745

Summit HC: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3723

(I suspect the two patches are actually identical, but have given the separate links just in case.)

I've never had a garmin gps loose waypoints during a unit software upgrade, but they will do that if you are downgrading the software to an older version.

I used WebUpdater to install the upgrade (from 2.70 to 2.80) and my waypoints were erased. Could it be because I have Topo Maps installed on the GPSr?

I've never had a garmin gps loose waypoints during a unit software upgrade, but they will do that if you are downgrading the software to an older version.

I used WebUpdater to install the upgrade (from 2.70 to 2.80) and my waypoints were erased. Could it be because I have Topo Maps installed on the GPSr?

Shouldn't have happened. I have never lost waypoints on my 60csx (and it should be the same) and I've always had maps installed.

Edited by -Oz-

Did the update, now we would like to know what a splash screen is and how to use it? Have checked garmin site and that did not help. We have the venture hc.

Thanks.

It's the screen that first appears when you switch the unit on. I put my name and contact phone number on it with a kind request to return the unit if found.

Did the update, now we would like to know what a splash screen is and how to use it? Have checked garmin site and that did not help. We have the venture hc.

Thanks.

It's the screen that first appears when you switch the unit on. I put my name and contact phone number on it with a kind request to return the unit if found.

I think the information you are referring to is the "Welcome Message" (Main Menu | Setup | Welcome Message). The "Welcome" message appears briefly a little bit after turning the unit on; common usage is to enter your name, contact phone number, and maybe offer of reward for safe return. That option has been available in Garmin Summit HC & Venture HC for a long time.

The "Splash Screen" is the very first screen that displays when you first turn the unit on. By default, it is a black screen with the Garmin logo on it (GARMIN in white lettering, with blue triangle above the "N"). You can now replace the default image with any image of your choice:

1. Use Garmin xImage to download the "Splash Screen" from your unit. (This ensures you have a sample image with the right pixel size and colour depth.)

2. Open the saved file "Splash Screen.bmp" with an image editing program of your choice. (MS-Paint will work fine.)

3. Make any changes you like, then re-save, without changing image size or colour depth (176 x 220 pixels x 8-bit). (e.g. you can paste a low res photo of a loved one over the default splash screen bitmap image.)

4. Run xImage again, and this time upload the edited Splash Screen back to your unit.

Next time you restart your unit, the opening screen should now be the new image you have uploaded, over which the various copyright notices will appear, followed shortly after by your "Welcome" message, then the unit will go into the satellite page until a position fix is obtained.

Hope this helps!