Bargain cache containers

Just a heads up for anyone looking for cheap containers.

I bought a set of four screw top canisters from Tesco for £2, different sizes: .2 .5 .75 and 2L in clear plastic, great for a multi with even the small one big enough for little swaps and coins. Quite good quality too!

They also have a set of four little clip top boxes for £2, they hold 150ml each and are big enough for coins and small travel bugs, a great alternative to a film canister for 50p.

I went to my local Tesco the other day and asked for some 35mm film containers from the film developing lab. They asked if I wanted the big bag or the really big bag full of containers...

The big bag was enough for me! All free.

I went into ASDA (other supermarkets are available) and asked for some film containers, to which she said:

"Oh, of course, you're canister man aren't you! - Which ones is it you prefer??" B)

So not only had she recognised me as the one who asks occasionally (3 maybe 4 times in the past) but that I tend to ask for a particular type for something i'm working on.....!! Bambeanie was most amused, only slightly more so than me though it has to be said :anibad:

ive accumilated a few baby milk formula canisters. they are large round drums with a plastic snap on lid. are these suitable for using as cache containers? just asking because im a cheapskate and try not to have to purchase any tupperware containers if i dont have to.

If they're like the SMA tins we used to have when my kids were nippers then I don't think they'll last very long if the conditions are damp, I don't think the lids will stay waterproof and any damp will cause the tin to rust and as they're pretty thin I would think they would rust through pretty quickly.

If they're like the SMA tins we used to have when my kids were nippers then I don't think they'll last very long if the conditions are damp, I don't think the lids will stay waterproof and any damp will cause the tin to rust and as they're pretty thin I would think they would rust through pretty quickly.

oh ok, thanks for that, it seemed such a good idea to use them for cache containers as they have plenty of room for cache trinkets and logbook. but i forgot about the potential for rusting in the local saline atmosphere.

oh ok, thanks for that, it seemed such a good idea to use them for cache containers as they have plenty of room for cache trinkets and logbook. but i forgot about the potential for rusting in the local saline atmosphere.

one of the most important aspects is the lid seal - many food containers don't actually have water tight lids - I'm thinking Cadbury's highlights (I've seen quite a few damp caches in these) and so on. Thats apart from any residual smell that may attract nibblers!

Ideally, the lid should have some kind of rubber gasket. Thats why lock/lock type boxes work well, and film cannisters often get a bit damp, depending on location. (we've stopped using them). Other possibilities are a sturdy and VERY tight fitting plastic screw cap. (we have these, and I know its waterproof even when submersed.)

Remember folks, although in most locations, covered is fine but in some locations, see through is better as it can avoid bomb scares etc if TPTB can see the contents....

Also in some cases I've seen, the stash note can be placed so it's readable through the wall of the container.

And dont forget those who received a welcome bag from the Mega there was some cache stickers in there to put on the outside of the containers