downlaoding maps

cracked cork

Is there a sure fire way to install ALL the map sections from a particular mapping program? I bought 2 GB cards for two of my Garmins (60 CX and 2610) and I want to load the entire N.American maps into my units.

I tried it once already and missed a couple small sections around the big cities. Very time consuming especially when you miss a few.

Cracked Cork

1. It's time consuming. On my Mac, loading about 1.5 GBs of maps took more than three hours.

2. It's really annoying not to be able to add a map to those already loaded. Instead, you must load them all again together with the new map. I have most of City Nav Europe loaded into a 2 GB card. If I want to add a few topo maps (that only take up 4 or 5 MB), it's going to take three hours, instead of a few minutes.

This system made sense when GPS receivers had very little memory: you only loaded the bits you needed for a particular trip, and relied on the basemap for the rest. Now that we can load so many detailed maps onto a card, isn't it about time that Garmin changed the system? It would be so convenient to have maps arranged in folders on the card, with the possibility of adding a new folder of map files without having to reload the maps that are already there.

Zoom way out and draw a box with the Map Tool around the whole country.

I have done that two times and each time the total number and size of the maps were different. Can anyone tell me the correct number of maps and the total file size for:

City Nav Ver 7 and Ver 8?

I have six hours of downloading time and I think its still wrong.

Thanks,

Paul