Getting Started/Free Account Link

knowschad

My sister was asking tonight how to create a free account, so I sent her to the Getting Started page. She clicked on the Free Account link and found only the options to create a Premium account.

To get to the Free Account page, I had to log myself out and then go to the Log In page. There I had the option to create a free or a premium account.

That makes sense that you wouldn't see the free account info if you were already logged in as a premium member.

Yep, that's how it works now.

It makes sense that you wouldn't see the free account if you were already logged in (since you already have a free account if you're logged in). I'd prefer the following:

Not logged in - get a page to sign up for a free account. Don't put the premium account stuff here. It looks like a bait and switch. "I went to get my free account and could only find the page to sign up for a premium account". Perhaps put a note on the page that says "After you have signed up for your free account you can upgrade to a premium account at any time"

Logged in on a free account or expired premium account - get a page to upgrade to a premium account.

Logged in on a premium account - get a page to renew or extend your membership - or to cancel your automatically renewing subscription.

It makes sense that you wouldn't see the free account if you were already logged in (since you already have a free account if you're logged in). I'd prefer the following:

Not logged in - get a page to sign up for a free account. Don't put the premium account stuff here. It looks like a bait and switch. "I went to get my free account and could only find the page to sign up for a premium account". Perhaps put a note on the page that says "After you have signed up for your free account you can upgrade to a premium account at any time"

Logged in on a free account or expired premium account - get a page to upgrade to a premium account.

Logged in on a premium account - get a page to renew or extend your membership - or to cancel your automatically renewing subscription.

I should also throw my 2¢ here on a not related but kind of similar thing that got broken the same day as that other thing got broken.

Not Logged in, forums link gets you to a geocaching.com web page that does not get you to the forums, you also can't go to any other things like search or trackables on this stunted page. And the groundspeak legalease at the bottom of the page is slightly different from EVERY other page on geocaching.com.

Logged in, forums link gets you directly to the forums which as everyone knows by heart is forums.groundspeak.com and people can use directly in that first case since there is no other way to go to the forums from geocaching.com. But when one gets to the forums, you are not necessarily logged into there as I use uppercase and lower case in my passwords which do not matter on geocaching.com but does on forums.groundspeak.com

Edited by trainlove