Geocoin arrived where it wanted to go!

cqdx

It's great to heat a story about success rather than one about how the coin turned up missing. I just got one coin to complete its mission about a week ago. It started in Florida about five years ago and wanted to travel to a specific cache in New Hampshire. Even though it was about an hour out of my way, how could I not give it that final little push to get it across the finish line? Unfortunately, the owner doesn't seem to have been active since 2003. Maybe news of his/her little wanderer making it's mission will perk their interest a bit.

I am wondering if we can/should make this a "general" thread for successful geocoin stories? There is one for TBs, so perhaps we can break up the sad monotony of stolen geocoin stories with some success stories?

I have one. :anibad:

With the help of my husband (who lives in Texas), we helped this geocoin fulfill its mission: TB1H649

It took approximately one year, and apparently the destination for this coin is very near our home in Texas! Who knew?! I have moved a few coins and TBs since beginning this fabulous geocaching game, but have just been one of many players. It is quite the feeling of satisfaction to have helped a traveller safely reach its desired destination.

Now I'm going to calculate the average mileage of my travelling geocoins before they went missing. :)

Yes, let's please start a thread about the current or completed geocoin missions. We hear so much about the coins missing/stolen. I have a coin coming home from Norway (it started there) but visiting some very North locations first. EC3, it's headed for Nova Scotia. Keep a lookout :)

I have a traveler who's Mission is a cache on Long Island. That's EAST from California. What's funny is, it's been moved several times over the last few months, but only NORTH AND SOUTH. :lol: It just passed me again (no. CA) headed to the southern part of the state :( At least it's still moving!

Wow - this is the second coin I've read about here for finishing it's mission. The first was for one of the missions.

It's great to see it happen, especially after 2.5 years of travelling and getting caught out in the weather.

I am wondering if having a more specific mission increases the chances of it staying in the game. Can't say one way or the other.

But one thing I am pretty sure of - there have to be more than two stories about successful missions. What if there was a permanent thread for capturing these stories? Maybe something which would be pinned. There is a pinned thread for trades - which is fine, but is trading coins the only reason the coins exist? More should be done to celebrate success and even promote keeping the coins in the caches.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

DocWahala

But one thing I am pretty sure of - there have to be more than two stories about successful missions. What if there was a permanent thread for capturing these stories? Maybe something which would be pinned. There is a pinned thread for trades - which is fine, but is trading coins the only reason the coins exist? More should be done to celebrate success and even promote keeping the coins in the caches.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

DocWahala

Doc,

See my post earlier in this thread - #15! I suggested it in 2009, so it's about time someone revamped it!

Here's another success story:

MrsB's Cornish geocoin - Destination Cornwall, UK was released into a cache in Australia in March 2007 and completed its mission by getting back home to a cache in Cornwall (SW England) in November 2008.

Since then it's been happily wandering around the UK... until recently. At the moment I'm not confident it is where it's showing... I'm not quite sure where it is. <_<

MrsB

Edited to add: This is another Cornish geocoin that completed its mission: Cornwall 2008 geocoin It was a mission from this forum from a couple of years ago - It was "Activate a new geocoin, adopt it over to the new owner and let it travel to them". I was pleased to see it got to the owner's cache in Denmark, but it looks like he hasn't actually been to collect it yet.

Edited by The Blorenges

Doc,

See my post earlier in this thread - #15! I suggested it in 2009, so it's about time someone revamped it!

True! But now it is 2011 - and still no pinned thread? Perhaps TPTB feel the Forum should only be used to describe new coins being designed, or listing Trade requests. As for trying to promote actually using a tracking coin AS a tracking coin..... maybe there is no interest?