Oregon 300 SW 2.5 freezes while loading waypoints

binzi

Today my Oregon 300 with software version 2.5 would start to freeze while loading waypoints, tracks and routes. This probably happened after I transfered some new caches to the gpx folder on the Oregon.

It then showed the following symptoms:

- when powered on it would always freeze and switch itself off while loading waypoints, tracks and routes

- when connected to a PC via USB it would freeze and switch itself of while saving current waypoints to gpx

- when trying to do a master reset (press and hold upper left corner of screen while switching the unit on), it would show the "would you like to erase all date" screen and freeze and turn itself off before one could touch either yes or no

- this all happened independent of whether it had an SD card installed or not

I eventually found the following webpage:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous#toc3

It describes a way to downgrade to software version 2.4. However, the first couple of times the unit would also freeze and switch itself off. Eventually it actually worked and my unit was back to life!

I re-updated to version 2.5 and again transfered the same caches to the gpx folder on the Oregon. So far everything seems to work just fine.

Thought I'd share my experience in order to spare others the two hours in shock that I had to experience. Thanks Garmin...

P.S.: Is it just me or is Garmin merely increasing the Wherigo Player version together with every software update while the Wherigo Player itself isn't updated at all?

There have been some similar reports of problems upgrading to 2.5. In my case after I downloaded a gpx file of geocaches to my unit yesterday it froze, but long after startup.

The recovery procedure you linked below has worked in the three cases I've heard of -- maybe something isn't going quite right during the update.

The Wherigo player version seems to be meaningless - I think it is the engine version that determines when real updates get added.

GO$Rs