Benchmark Recover

kullas

Where i live they tore down our courthouse and in the middle of building a new courthouse. on the outside of the old building there was a benchmark. about 3 hours before they started tearing down the old building i grabed the benchmark to rescue it. What do i need to do to be able to get it back in its place? Who do i need to talk to? any sugestions. I would like to see it back in its place

Where i live they tore down our courthouse and in the middle of building a new courthouse. on the outside of the old building there was a benchmark. about 3 hours before they started tearing down the old building i grabed the benchmark to rescue it. What do i need to do to be able to get it back in its place? Who do i need to talk to? any sugestions. I would like to see it back in its place

It can't be put it back on the new court house. To put a new disk on the new building would mean a surveyor would have to carefully measure from other marks in the neighborhood and place a new disk (not the old disk) approximately where the old one was. This is an expensive proposition and the local surveyors probably don't need it anyway. Or perhaps another disk has already been placed in some nearby building to make up for this one being lost.

What you can do instead is report what happened to Deb Brown of the NGS (Deb.Brown@noaa.gov) and explain what happened. Include a picture of the disk you saved. You also need to look up the disk in the database and find it's PID (basically this is the database ID number). This can be done using the search function on this site.

In your email ask her to 1) have the mark officially marked "destroyed" in the database and 2) ask if you can keep the disk (I'm sure she'll say yes).

Congratulations: it's very rare to see something like this happen and to actually save the disk from the junk pile. It will look good on your coffee table.

Looks like Deb declared it destroyed back on 8/7/2008.

EE0028  HISTORY	 - Date	 Condition		Report By
EE0028  HISTORY	 - 1934	 MONUMENTED	   CGS
EE0028  HISTORY	 - 20080807 DESTROYED		NGS
EE0028
EE0028						  STATION DESCRIPTION
EE0028
EE0028'DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1934
EE0028'IN ELLIJAY.
EE0028'TWO FEET OUTSIDE OF SIDEWALK, ONE FEET INSIDE OF STREET CURB, AND
EE0028'SIX FEET EAST OF S.W. CORNER OF GILMER COUNTY COURTHOUSE.
EE0028'EAST CHATTANOOGA, TENN. AND ELLIJAY, GEORGIA LINE
EE0028
EE0028						  STATION RECOVERY (2008)
EE0028
EE0028'RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 2008 (DB)
EE0028'THIS REPORT WAS SUBMITTED BY MIKE MORREY.

Edited by tosborn

AAaaahh! *YOU* took it! Sheesh! :anibad:

I'm the 'Mike Morrey' who submitted it destroyed, when I went there on 08/07 of this year. Didn't see it, saw that they chewed everything up. Got a picture and sent it in to Deb.

However, you actually have EE0029 - not EE0028. Spoke to Deb, EE0028 was destroyed when they added the door and staircase to the now ex-front (east wall) of the courthouse. EE0029 was erected when they did that construction, and EE0028 was not removed from the database. So she marked both of them - K 122 and K 122 RESET as destroyed.

I'm guessing that you were there weeks before I was, considering how fresh the destruction was when I was there.

AAaaahh! *YOU* took it! Sheesh! :)

I'm the 'Mike Morrey' who submitted it destroyed, when I went there on 08/07 of this year. Didn't see it, saw that they chewed everything up. Got a picture and sent it in to Deb.

However, you actually have EE0029 - not EE0028. Spoke to Deb, EE0028 was destroyed when they added the door and staircase to the now ex-front (east wall) of the courthouse. EE0029 was erected when they did that construction, and EE0028 was not removed from the database. So she marked both of them - K 122 and K 122 RESET as destroyed.

I'm guessing that you were there weeks before I was, considering how fresh the destruction was when I was there.

I was there early that morning of the destruction. The demolitoin was set for 6 in the morning and i was there at a little before 5