I found someone's GPS at the site of a cache. Can't get ahold of them to return it!

komebeaux

I was in Hampshire County, WV on saturday and as I approached GZ of a cache, I looked down and saw a GPS lying on the ground! It had dew and some dirt on it, but despite the weak battery, it started right up. The greeting has the owner's name and email address on it, but the email address is not valid. I looked at some local cache logs and the owner was in the area a couple of days before, so I am guessing he laid it down there while working with the cache and just forgot it. I have also sent him a few messages through geocaching.com, but no reply. I checked his profile and he has logged on since I have sent those messages.

What else can I try in order to get this guy's GPS back to him?

Edited by komebeaux

See if there is a local geocaching forum in your area, someone there may know this person. I applaud you for the effort you are going through to return this GPS, I am sure the person is worried sick if they even realize they lost it.

He's a member of the Maryland Geocaching Society. I can't register for their forums because they don't allow yahoo email accounts.

It sounds like you have made a conscientious effort to contact this person.

On the e-mail thing, I have about 10 e-mail addresses with various providers, including my own server. I'd be happy to contact this person for you and pass along the info. I'd hate to see him lose his GPSr when someone is trying hard to get it back to him.

Drop me a note if you want some help :lol:

See if there is a local geocaching forum in your area, someone there may know this person. I applaud you for the effort you are going through to return this GPS, I am sure the person is worried sick if they even realize they lost it.

He's a member of the Maryland Geocaching Society. I can't register for their forums because they don't allow yahoo email accounts.

If you wish, you can send the info to my Geocaching account, and I will post it on the MGS Forums for you.

get a gmail account.

Jim

@komebeaux -

Thanks for PMing me the info so I can contact them. But I need a little more than just their username on some unidentified site. It would help if you also send me:

website address where they're a member

The info. you already have from GPS unit, like name

Your contact info (doesn't have to be any more than your e-mail address) I can give him, so he can get back his unit.

Work with me here .....

I've contacted the owner of the GPSr at the geocaching site you PM-ed me. I'm a little annoyed that you won't even answer my post here asking for more info, after I volunteered to help you out instead of just telling you to go get a g-mail account yourself and contact him.

I've passed along to him your user info here, and the topic URL so he can contact you from now on. I've done my part, and I wash my hands of this matter :anibad:

I've contacted the owner of the GPSr at the geocaching site you PM-ed me. I'm a little annoyed that you won't even answer my post here asking for more info, after I volunteered to help you out instead of just telling you to go get a g-mail account yourself and contact him.

I've passed along to him your user info here, and the topic URL so he can contact you from now on. I've done my part, and I wash my hands of this matter :anibad:

Sorry Kohavis, I missed your post up there asking for that info. I will also try to contact him through MGS with a gmail sign-in.

Geez, look where a good deed will get you.....

I didn't mean to snap, but when folks are helping you out, at least pay attention to them. You can go back to skimming topics afterwards :)

It was a nice thing to do. I hope he is happy that you went out of your way to return it :D

I finally heard from the guy yesterday. I am waiting to get his address from him and will mail it to him asap. Good thing I am an honest person, because this is a $400.00 GPS unit he left behind.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions, everyone!

Kudos to you for trying to return his lost GPSr. I hope he sends you a nice coin or something as a reward, I know I would! :rolleyes:

Also, by him having his contact info in the unit, you were able to locate him. I had never thought to do that, so I am going to do that right now. If I ever lose mine, hopefully a good samaritan will be able to find me and return it. :)