NEW TV SHOW ON GEOCACHING

WheelerCom

I am pretty new to geocaching, but I have some ideas regarding this TV series.

First thing, don't use all your ideas in the first episode. The bushwhacking, wrong coordinates and depleted batteries seem to be all that can go wrong, except injury. They have their place in geocaching, but use them simultaneously.

Another thing that many commented doesn't pertain to geocaching: the snake. Many cachers, myself included, try to avoid close animal encounters. It's nice when you see rabbits, deer, other non dangerous animals, any kind of birds, and get them on film, but handling them pushes the limit too much. Also, get a camera (you have the filming crew behind, but most hikers/cachers don't, and they use the camera for picture taking). Regarding more or less dangerous animals, they might be interesting from a distance, like seeing a bear or buffalo from a quarter mile away (you could use the telephoto to take a picture of them), but not on the first episodes.

I like finding (and eating) wild berries (in my area - raspberries, wild strawberries, bilberries, blackberries), and collecting mushrooms. I also refill and drink water from streams. For urban folks this may seem more like surviving, for me is extra fun. You could include a plant per episode, with short description, how to recognize, etc. Mushrooms are more tricky, use them later on the show, or leave them out completely.

Geocaching is (or was) all about location. Research the caches beforehand, go to the scenic/interesting ones. Try to alternate between different terrain types and cache types. Go to an event (like Geowoodstock) or organize your own event. Educate by example about CITO. Help moving trackables around (be careful about how you present them, to avoid starting muggle waves). You could try (later in the show) a night cache, or a two day hike with the night spent in a tent.

From time to time introduce some new piece of equipment into the show. You could start with the GPSr and printout of the cache page, and add camera, hiking stick, extra batteries, flashlight, raincoat, PDA and/or other electronic gadget, water filter, solar battery charger, camping gear, cool things like the hiking stick that converts into a tripod, etc.

If geocachers are the target audience of the show, then I subscribe to what the others said: go to out-of-the-ordinary places, with scenic views and/or historic value, or where specialized equipment (scuba, boat, rock climbing gear) is required, try to meet some famous cachers (if they agree), go to Geowoodstock, the APE cache, the oldest/highest/remotest cache in a specific area.

Edited by Dj Storm

I am pretty new to geocaching, but I have some ideas regarding this TV series.

First thing, don't use all your ideas in the first episode. The bushwhacking, wrong coordinates and depleted batteries seem to be all that can go wrong, except injury. They have their place in geocaching, but use them simultaneously.

this

lol

I haven't watched the show (it's blocked here at work) but I like the idea of a show about Geocaching - either a documentary, or a mini series or even an ongoing series. Heck, if they can make a series about people playing Texas Hold'em poker on the Sports Channel, then why not Geocaching?

I would watch a show that was similar to the old Screen Savers/ Tech Guy shows were for Computers - Show reviews of the latest technology, comparisons of differant GPSr's, types of containers. Show some history - how Geocacihng got started, caches of note, show caching in differant areas of the country/ world. Compare "Urban" caching vs hiking through the woods (to a degree. 27 episodes showing someone searching for film cannisters hidden under lap-post skirts would be a no-go).

Show good caches in a differant area each show, differant types of caches and hides (puzzle caches, ammo cans, Earth-caches, etc), International geocaching & differant locations (Geocaching in North GA vs Geocaching in So. Italy).

Segments on Geocoins/ Travel Bugs? What are they, how do you create one? Show clever types of TB's, go through the logs of some of the older ones and tell their stories, START a travel bug and follow it around the country/ world (that actuall would be a good hook - I recently saw a guy who made his GPSr a "Travel Bug" and logged it into every cache he found, so that he had a record of how far he had travelled while Geocaching. Rather clever idea I think).

Segments on CREATING and HIDING caches as well as FINDING them would be fun. A beginners segment on how to get started cheaply.

In summary, I can see at least a documentary on the start and development of Geocaching over the years, something on the order of "Grizzly Man" (without the hosts getting eaten at the end of course). A short series would be workable too. Not sure there is enough subject matter for a full series, althogh if they can have multiple seasons about guys driving semi-trucks on the Ice Road in Canada, then anything is possible.

Edited by MSalisbury

I found the show to be quite entertaining. A bit over dramtic at times like I find :P "Man vs. Wild" B) is. But this isn't as bad by any means. That show just turns me off and I avoid it at all costs. For a pilot show, I think that it was laid out quite nicely. The first couple of mins where you were introing the host may make a good show starter. I also think a show should have a team of hosts each with there own profession, Like a tech savy member who is good with current technology can explain the technical end of the game. And a Forest Ranger, who would know about and can explain the different things that a geocacher may see or run into while on the trail. Like the snake part in the show. Some other may not like to see that, But I on the other hand, If I saw that snake with its markings like that one, would have thought in a flash that it could of been a Rattle Snake, (Not that I would do what the host did!) but I did learn something new by watching the show. I would definately watch a show like this and wish you the best on getting this on tv.

I haven't watched the show (it's blocked here at work) but I like the idea of a show about Geocaching - either a documentary, or a mini series or even an ongoing series. Heck, if they can make a series about people playing Texas Hold'em poker on the Sports Channel, then why not Geocaching?

Or even like the show American Chopper, with Orange County Choppers. Most of the poeple that watch the show ride motorcycles, and the ones that don't, don't watch the show and knock it every chance they get. I like to watch it only because they are a half mile from my job and I have direct business dealings with them. But thats another show. lol. My point is, is why can't the Geocaching community at large have its own show like OCC does. I think it's a great idea!

I haven't watched the sample episodes yet, but I agree with those who say cache hunts may not be enough to sustain a series of programs.

However, working Waymarks into the show could help provide some subject matter. So in addition to showing the adventure of finding a cache, you could also take us to a particularly interesting waymark. Kind of like a typical travel show. If the waymark is historic or culturally significant, you could spend several minutes sharing its details. Or if it's just a neat thing to look at, you could feature the waymark for 20 seconds after a commercial break, if the show were to be picked up by a network.

Edited by geognerd

We're considering the production of a new television series on geocaching called "The Geo Man" hosted by Mark Blaquiere. We'd like to produce a show that you'd enjoy watching, so we've posted a test episode online to get feedback from the geocaching community. The test episode is available on YouTube (standard and high quality) and Blip TV (high quality).

To watch the test episode on YouTube (in 2 parts):

Part 1

Part 2

To watch the entire test episode in high quality streaming video on Blip:

http://www.thegeoman.blip.tv

Please post all your feedback in this forum. By doing so you can help us produce a good show for you!

Why are folks "freaked out" about the snake? It's non-poisonous and curious. I wish he hadn't grabbed it, though, as we tend to make it the rule that geocachers are "leave-no-trace" folks...maybe leaving only a footprint and swag in Tupperware. Interfering with wildlife just ain't cool.

-----------------

Moderator Note: This post has been reviewed and approved by Groundspeak for forum publication.

I think geocaching was better off when it was a "secret group" unknown to the general public. With it's increased popularity, as well as visibility, more areas are being closed to geocaching, and geo-regulations have increased.

Agreed, while the show may recruit some new cachers I also fear that putting geocaching on TV will result in non cachers "muggling" caches out of innocent curiosity or deliberatley for fun.

I fear TV may damage geocaching the same way the internet damaged urban exploration. Once something gets too well known by the general public it won't be the same.

If I weren't already a geocacher and I watched that video, I would have very little desire to try it. This is certainly not something I would show a non-cacher to try and explain the concept either. I feel it is a poor representation of both the sport and the typical geocacher. It portrays a feeling of being lost and helpless, which is the opposite of what it's all about.

"There's 400,000 oak trees on the side of this hill and I have to find the cache in one of these oak trees. What the hell was I thinking?"

"...I can't breathe, otherwise I would. This SUCKS!"

"This is what makes geocaching ::insert sarcasm:: fun. Exciting."

The swearing was completely unneccsary and seemed almost unnatural.

What is the point of this video?

We're considering the production of a new television series on geocaching called "The Geo Man" hosted by Mark Blaquiere. We'd like to produce a show that you'd enjoy watching, so we've posted a test episode online to get feedback from the geocaching community. The test episode is available on YouTube (standard and high quality) and Blip TV (high quality).

Part 1

Part 2

Please post all your feedback in this forum. By doing so you can help us produce a good show for you!

-----------------

Moderator Note: This post has been reviewed and approved by Groundspeak for forum publication.

This is a show that I would love to watch. Not only do I geocache, but my son also goes with me, very cool!

I also get to drag my wife out for some AGT geocaching in Pa. Hope you can produce this show!

Thanks...gstiglitz

I think geocaching was better off when it was a "secret group" unknown to the general public. With it's increased popularity, as well as visibility, more areas are being closed to geocaching, and geo-regulations have increased.

Agreed, while the show may recruit some new cachers I also fear that putting geocaching on TV will result in non cachers "muggling" caches out of innocent curiosity or deliberatley for fun.

I fear TV may damage geocaching the same way the internet damaged urban exploration. Once something gets too well known by the general public it won't be the same.

I agree with that completely. I think that people will see it on TV, go online and search for all the ones near them and get them, or not know that its a secret to be there and then someone who hasnt heard of geocaching muggles it.

Geocaching on TV? How long would you give it before we are saddled with the Coors Light Geocaching Challenge? Newly minted cachers everywhere looking for the huge prize they know is hidden in the park down the street, tearing everything apart and very quickly getting the game banned in more places than you can shake a stick at. Once corporate America creates advertising value for our game it will be G O N E. Vinny's tongue in cheek posting about professional geocachers will segue out of joke status to become a real, ugly fact. No thanks, the relative low profile amateur game is just fine.

And no, I don't care for watching other games I can play on TV (golf, fishing, etc.) either. Now games I can't play, football, baseball and the like are fine on the tube. No geo tv thanks.

hairball

I have to agree with the anti-swearing comments. Geocaching is a family friendly sport, and all caches must maintain this thought. As far as i'm concerned a show about it should do too.

Getting a little more picky.... When you show the map graphic the coords are in decimal degrees. It would be much more cacher-friendly to show them in decimal minutes to match the standard used by geocaching.com. Therefore, if people wanted to note them down and look later on they could.

A further point with the map/co-ords being shown regularly is if during the series you cover multi or puzzle caches, you should not show any co-ords that would give any locations away. Ok, locals may recognise certain places but it shouldn't mean people can skip stages of a cache.

If you are doing more filming we have an event you may want to consider.

The Great Coal Rush a 3 day event with 55 caches highlighting the history of an old ghost town, some 4x4 runs for those that want that side, old train tunnels, standing tram lines that coal carts used to go down. Some easy drive up caches, a few you have to walk a bit for - a really good variety and it's also kind of a poker run.. :antenna:

Thinking we'll end up with about 200 cachers..It's here in Beatuiful BC

WWW.GREATCOALRUSH.BLOGSPOT.COM

or the Cache Page

The Great Coal Rush -

First, I thought the filmint and editing was pretty good, but found the host's swearing as a bit offensive. Sure we all do it in private, but why include that in a video? Also, the comment that Geocaching "Sucks" but that's what makes it fun just doesn't fit... The challenge is all part of the fun... (I'll agree that poison Ivy, Chiger bites, and such suck) but saying so in a program about the outdoors is a bit silly.

Stopping to pan for gold is kind of neat, but catching snakes on the trail??? Hmm, I'm not sure that you want to associate Geocaching with going out and hunting snakes. I for one keep my distance from snakes. Someone from PETA will watch this and assume that Geocachers go out and bother wildlife. To my knowledge, these are unrelated activities.

Oh, and finally, I think it would be worth telling that Geocaching isn't only a deep-woods activity. I suspect that there are as many Urban caches as there are hides in the woods. Not everyone likes, or is physically able to hike in the woods. You don't want to discourage folks by giving the appearance that all Caching is done 20 miles out in the woods and are only accessible via 4x4 and long hikes.

Edited by IBMer

Oh, and finally, I think it would be worth telling that Geocaching isn't only a deep-woods activity. I suspect that there are as many Urban caches as there are hides in the woods. Not everyone likes, or is physically able to hike in the woods. You don't want to discourage folks by giving the appearance that all Caching is done 20 miles out in the woods and are only accessible via 4x4 and long hikes.

Yes, we need to draw attention to the fact that some of us (not me) run around looking like whack jobs in public in store parking lots. :antenna: How'd this thread come back, anyways? I agree with the swearing comments, as many have said. Otherwise, it's an nice video.

Oh, now that I've actually re-read the WHOLE thread, I see they were looking for comments and suggestions. In that case, I do somewhat agree with IBM'er, this is a hardcore ex-military guy out in the deep woods. If this was to be a continuing series, or even a TV show, you'd probably want to show all kinds of caching.

If it were to be strictly hardcore old-school caching, like the first episode, I think you would have to mix in the other stuff like panning for gold and snake hunting to keep people interested. I think I'd find this very interesting if I were a non-geocacher, and it were on the Discovery channel or something. Being a geocacher though, it would be tough to keep me interested for future episodes.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I watch fishing, cooking, home renovation shows. I watch what interests me.

What I think a geocaching show would need to keep fresh is a little more of a magazine-show format. Showing different people caching in different parts of the world, or at least the country. Geocaching in San Diego looks a LOT different than in northern Georgia, or Florida, or England.

Review products, cover policy changes in state, county, or national parks, cover rules and ethics, have tips on building, hiding and maintaining your cache. A little variety to keep things moving. At least inject some "sidebars" into the show, during the hunt, other than blundering through the woods, cussing and grabbing snakes.

Like "The G Word" on Planet Green. A true magazine show.

And though I'm all about cussing, it isn't going to fly on anything other than webisodes, it just seemed out of place. Not to mention, of the very few cachers I know, the majority are kids.

Just saw this today. We would really enjoy this type of show too. We are too new (Sept. 2008, 140 finds) to add anything helpful. In the process of checking on this we came across letsgocaching.com and found it very interesting too. It's a more laid-back version, I guess. Has spots on information and doing finds as well. (sorry if this has already been mentioned and we missed it)

Edited by Mr&Mrs Preacherman

I think the concept is great but the execution lacking. The "star" is obviously not a very experienced Geocacher nor experienced in front of a camera. I would enjoy doing a bit of gold panning myself, but it didn't fit in with the overall theme (same with the snake chase). Adding the extra drama, which came off as contrived, didn't work either (i.e. "check where the sun is", "...before I lose data", etc.) Language, if you need to bleep - you need to delete.

With the right presentation, I would watch such a show. Great idea, just needs a bit of work.

Good luck!

I took the time to watch your first production. This says something!

I don't know how well it will be recieved by the general public, but other geocachers will find it interesting. Good luck, and I'll look forward to more episodes. If nothing else, it would make a great pod cast.

Part 1

Part 2

-----------------

Contrary to many others opinions, I found the snake and the gold panning added much needed depth to the show.

Those two events basically sum up what I love about geocaching. It's not just about the cache. It's about the area the cache brings you to and the things you experience while you are there.

Good job guys. Sure, it's just a pilot, but the show is headed in the right direction imo.

The host really should watch his mouth, though.

The host reminded me of Robbie Knievel with the do-rag on his head. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing...just making an observance. I agree with the profanity thing. It has no place in a TV show aimed at demonstrating a family activity. It should be edited out or the host needs to be corrected or replaced.

The show would be so much better if it were more educational and less dramatic. There is a TV show produced here in Wisconsin called "Discover Wisconsin", which is produced by the Depatrment of Tourism as a means to promote and educate people on diferent areas of the state to visit and to try new activities. That's what I'd prefer this show becomes.

Have a host who is more interested in educating and hopefully sparking the interest of non-cachers by showing how it's properly done and show some interesting scenic views. Instead of handling snakes (which to an untrained person could prove VERY disasterous) and panning for gold, head into a state park or national forest and show some of the scenery which makes caching in those areas the reason for going there in the first place.

Show and explain the difference between the different types of caches and things like "what is a travel bug" or a geo coin. What is the proper way to move them from one cache to another? Things like this will go much farther to promote this hobby than anything that was shown in this program. Also, don't show what an idiot the guy was for heading into thick foliage with insufficient batteries. Instead, educate the viewer as to why it's important to make sure you have fresh batteries and replacements before heading out. I understand that this incident supposedly made the show more dramatic. But TV doesn't have to be all about drama. It can and should also be used to educate.

With some tweaking I could be convinced to watch this show on a regular basis...but not in it's present form.

The battery situation seemed contrived and the complaining about it came off as forced.

Yeah we've all had it happen, quite a coinkydink that it would happen during a sub pilot or would that be insult to intelligence.

Get rid of potently dangerous side activities like snake wrangling but keep the educational ones like panning for gold.

And do drop the "tough guy" look and the cursing because obviously this show cant work if your expecting current geocachers to give you nelsons and that means you don't want to scare potential cachers from the activity by giving them the wrong idea.

I am one of those guys who can't get out as often as I would like and actually enjoy watching all of the YouTube webisodes of geocaching! It's like I'm really there! I do see some problems with it being a serious show though.

1. I see this as a huge spoiler! Especially if it shows exactly how to complete a 5/5 step by step. I think that people put a lot of work into some of their caches and would be upset if they were spoiled like this.

2. I don't see it being able to stay on air for to long unless it was kind of like a game show. I liked the whole amazing race/survivor ideas I've read about in some ot the other posts.

3. Keep it more professional, like not cursing, running out of batteries, getting lost. I mean, come on, getting lost, really. As we say in the CG you should always be "Semper Paratus" especially when trying to sell non geocachers on the sport.

4. What really turned me on to Geocaching was it's anonymity. Knowing that for years I've been unknowingly driving and walking by all of these hidden treasures. Having a TV Show about it takes away that entire aspect, which I know for sure is a big reason a lot of people do it.

5. If it for some reason went main stream, it would have to have a more interesting host and plenty of guests who know more about Geocaching and who had some serious wildlife credentials if they are intending on handling wild life. (which was stated by Geo Man as a wildlife collector for zoo's)

Anyway, if had a vote in the matter, I would vote no to a main stream show. I think that it should stay in the geocaching community as youtube videos. That way only geocachers will be watching the spoilers and not anyone who would like to "geodump" in some caches!

Now THIS is what a geocaching TV show should look like!!

Exciting - you never knew what was around the next corner

Educational - showing different cache containers and hiding spots

No buffoonery - like heading out into the woods with weak batteries

No cursing - not necessary if you're going to be showing it to kids

Check it out:

I agree, I think the only way a show like this could keep going and be interesting, is if it traveled a lot and showed interesting caching experiences around the US and the world. Things that perhaps a lot of us could never do, because we couldn't go to these places or experience these interesting things.

The other thing is that I think geocaching is about the people as well. I wouldn't want to watch the same guy episode after episode like Man vs. Wild or the Survivorman. I could watch a show that was more like Dirty Jobs, where you have an engaging host that goes to different places and meets up with people who help host. Have them show their favorite places, talk about the regional differences and fun facts. Go to events here and there and see how they're done around the world. That sort of stuff could be interesting.

This would only also work if the host were as cute as Mike Rowe :bad:

Overall, I enjoyed watching the video and would most likely watch a geocaching based television program. I think it would have to also include other adventures and much traveling to extrordinary locales. I really don't understand why people were turned off by the snake scene. There are quite a few snake oriented shows on Discovery and other channels which I thouroughly enjoy as well. I am not sure how well a geocaching oriented show would appeal to the general public. Afterall. what percentage of the population truly understands or even cares about the game of geocaching. At any rate, my vote is....go for it.

Overall, I enjoyed watching the video and would most likely watch a geocaching based television program. I think it would have to also include other adventures and much traveling to extrordinary locales. I really don't understand why people were turned off by the snake scene. There are quite a few snake oriented shows on Discovery and other channels which I thouroughly enjoy as well. I am not sure how well a geocaching oriented show would appeal to the general public. Afterall. what percentage of the population truly understands or even cares about the game of geocaching. At any rate, my vote is....go for it.

Well, the problem I had with the snake incident is that the guy literally ran over and grabbed it, with no display of fear or caution. That's fine if you're experienced in handling wild animals as he claims to be, but in this instance I think the more correct way to demonstrate it for John Q. Public is to either proceed with extreme caution or do your best to avoid contact altogether. Granted, there has to be some leeway for good ol' common sense, but my fear is that if a child sees the host do that, he/she might be tempted to follow suit when they're out in the woods hunting with mom and dad. Sometimes even mom and dad aren't quick enough to stop an eager child.

Overall I enjoyed it. I would make the time to find the show and watch it or DVR it. I could do without all the swearing though.

I think a combination of geocaching, GPS review, some CITO awareness and you could make for a pretty decent 30 minute program. Maybe it could feature some remote 5/5 geocaches or something.

I thought it was quite interesting. As with any TV show, if it doesn't interest you then don't watch it. I would love to see something like this on a regular basis. Yes the original episode isn't perfect, but have you ever seen the pilot to Seinfeld? And that ended up being one of the most loved shows of all time. (Time for 100 flames about how "not me, I hate Seinfeld")

It doesn't even have to be on your TV (even though that is where the money is at) it could be a weekly internet show like the stuff they do at digg nation etc... I for one watch tons of internet based programing and would be happy to see this every week.

I COMPLETELY AGREE!! Once word gets out to the general public I believe geocachers are going to run into some problems, like caches getting muggled or ripped off, and regulations being stricter. I see the litter people leave along the side of the road, along river beds, in lakes, and everywhere else. There are too many people who are unappreciative of the environment, the type of people that do not need to know about geocaching. Why would I want to attract someone like that to geocaching.

Jess80

I COMPLETELY AGREE!! Once word gets out to the general public I believe geocachers are going to run into some problems, like caches getting muggled or ripped off, and regulations being stricter. I see the litter people leave along the side of the road, along river beds, in lakes, and everywhere else. There are too many people who are unappreciative of the environment, the type of people that do not need to know about geocaching. Why would I want to attract someone like that to geocaching.

Jess80

How about changing the name to Spoilers and go around and spoil the 10 best cache hide in every state. Maybe have a "cache improvement" segment. The proper technic for camoflaging an ammo can. I would think the outtakes would be better then watching a serious hunt and find show. Maybe go caching with a midge...uh a little person or something to that effect. If this is going to be a serious show then you should drop off unactived geocoins that represent your show in each cache that you find. Have a geocoin give away to someone who can give you any tips that might be included on your show that would actually make more of us want to watch. Just a few thoughts. Swizzle

I think it would have potential, but only if they had a variety of people, from all around the US (or NAmerica, or the world) showing their beautiful areas. He keeps saying how beautiful it is etc. IMO it is nothing compared to what we see here in Oregon! vhq078.jpg

Is that Little Crater Lake?

If so, It used to look much more "lush" back when I was a kid, the first time I went there.

The last time it looked more dry. That was about 4 years ago.

Edited by bittsen

I haven't read all the replies here, so there may be some over lap, but here's my impression:

The show could work. Others have asked why would I watch a show on geocaching rather than do it myself? That's a point, but, not everyone can take a bunch of days off to go to a remote location in Georgia and take a multi-hour long hike into the woods to search for a cache. Some of the more 'extreme' caches could make for interesting TV. The other info thrown in, like panning and wild life, if not done for a long time (distracting) can add some flavor or interest as well. I could see this possibly working on like Discovery or something like that... maybe Discovery2. Do they have a Discovery2? It'd be sort of a survivor man meets crocodile hunter.

Now then for some specific comments/ideas:

• Cut out the swearing. You won't attract very many views with the bad language, and you certainly will turn off a number of them. I know my wife would not let me watch this with my son (8) if there was lots of swearing in it, even bleeped out words would get her dander up.
  • Make sure you get facts right and present them accurately. Someone else mentioned how caches aren't buried anymore. Also, public lands are usually free to go on, but not always. And many times you need permission to hide even if you don't need permission to seek. Make sure that's clear.
  • Don't have the camera man talk... When watching the show I was often subconsiously putting myself in the role of the camera man, as if I was there with you. When the cameraman talks, that bounced me out instantly.
  • I liked the idea of getting local cachers involved. This can help get a flavor of the area from someone who knows it well. It also gives you a chance to have a dialog with some other than the camera man (see above). You could also do a few easy, but interesting caches first that the local person knows about and then setup for the wilderness one. Finally this will get the local community interested in the show, at least for the episode that features a local cacher, and hopefully hooks them for longer.
  • Someone said don't touch the wildlife. I disagree. It's obvious that you know what you're doing as you used to trap animals for zoos. But make that REAL clear for the viewers.
  • I _did_ like how you showed exactly where the cache was, but kept it a tight shot so that the general location was still a mystery. You gave away a bit of the detail without giving away the whole cache. This lets the viewer participate in the actual find without giving the location totally away.

Over all I'd say it has promise, but needs to be fine tuned quite a bit. Hope it works out for you.