NEW TV SHOW ON GEOCACHING

WheelerCom

We're considering the production of a new television series on geocaching called "The Geo Man" hosted by Mark Blaquiere. We'd like to produce a show that you'd enjoy watching, so we've posted a test episode online to get feedback from the geocaching community. The test episode is available on YouTube (standard and high quality) and Blip TV (high quality).

To watch the test episode on YouTube (in 2 parts):

Part 1

Part 2

To watch the entire test episode in high quality streaming video on Blip:

http://www.thegeoman.blip.tv

Please post all your feedback in this forum. By doing so you can help us produce a good show for you!

-----------------

Moderator Note: This post has been reviewed and approved by Groundspeak for forum publication.

We're considering the production of a new television series on geocaching called "The Geo Man" hosted by Mark Blaquiere. We'd like to produce a show that you'd enjoy watching, so we've posted a test episode online to get feedback from the geocaching community. The test episode is available on YouTube (standard and high quality) and Blip TV (high quality).

Part 1

Part 2

Please post all your feedback in this forum. By doing so you can help us produce a good show for you!

-----------------

Moderator Note: This post has been reviewed and approved by Groundspeak for forum publication.

:lol::laughing::D

Oh no! The spamming sock puppets are back! Run! Hide!

:D

Well, I only watched the first part so far *shudder* SNAKES! Looks pretty good, but when you're talking about the original geocache, you might want to assure people that we no longer bury caches. :lol:

But the thing that hit me the most - wouldn't it be easier to just not swear, if you know you'll be filmed? I mean, going through and bleeping out the curse words is okay, I guess, but it just seems like it'd be easier not to do it at all? Besides, it's distracting from what you are actually saying.

*shudder* Snakes!

Hah, I love that you guys got lost. Geocaching meets the blair witch project...

Feedback-wise, this looks like it would make a great one-time documentary. As far as a regular TV show, what's the plan to inject more drama into it? Like me looking at the stupid caboose with the nano hidden in it and I break down and cry, screaming to the stars, why me! Then I get tossed off the island for giving up too easily on the hunt. The spouse threatening divorce because I say "look, it's only half a mile over that mountain" and subsequently take her on the trailblaze from hell across cliffs and boulders (less learned, stay on the trail as long as possible)

Feedback-wise, this looks like it would make a great one-time documentary. As far as a regular TV show, what's the plan to inject more drama into it?

I agree.

Geocaching is fun, but watching someone else do it is can become old really fast. Unless the audience you are looking for are the armchair loggers?

I found the pilot episode mildly entertaining. The drama music when the host saw the snake annoyed me.

I choose to look for a cache next time I have one hour of free time.

Maybe you could do a poll looking for the 10 best searches ever and go look for those in the next episodes.

Good idea though.

Looks like you got approval from Groundspeak to post this so kudos to you.

As I said in the other thread the profanity seems forced and not needed for what should be an all ages activity. Otherwise I love the show, although I urge you to consider clarifying buried caches are not allowed. Also, buy the map software license so it doesn't say demo. :lol:

Can't imagine why I'd want to sit at home and watch someone else geocaching.

Only reason I can think of is that it's something to do while you're waiting for your PQ to arrive (like I am right now). The show's a little melodramatic, but it does teach a lesson that you'd think the GEO-MAN would know: always mark a waypoint for the car!

Edit: spelin n grammer (I swear, I'm really going to learn to type someday)

Edited by budophylus

Exactly! Just how bizarre is that? So, to me, the only appeal might be to people who had never heard of geocaching, but, as others have already noted in other threads devoted to this topic, it seems that there exist REAL geocachers, many of them, in the real world who would be far more qualified and better able to serve as the focus of the show than the so-called "geo-man".

I like to bowl, I hate watching others bowl. I like to golf, I hate watching others golf. I like to geocache but I too, can't imagine why I'd watch others geocache. Even when I've popped into mini events set up to find one of my more difficult caches, it's irritating to watch others hunt - you just want to be hunting as well.

I'll watch tonight (can't now because I'm at work).

I've always thought it would be interesting to have a caching show centered around traveling to different parts of the country/world. For example, one episode could be a search for some hydrocaches in a Louisiana swamp, then the next episode "the best caching hikes of the Cascade Mountains" followed by a caching tour of the Great Lakes or the Maine coast. Traveling around would incur more production expenses, but it could be a great way to highlight the unique caching opportunities that each region has to offer.

Exactly! Just how bizarre is that? So, to me, the only appeal might be to people who had never heard of geocaching, but, as others have already noted in other threads devoted to this topic, it seems that there exist REAL geocachers, many of them, in the real world who would be far more qualified and better able to serve as the focus of the show than the so-called "geo-man".

I'd much rather watch videos produced by some of the geocaching pioneers (Charter Members) who have actually been geocaching since the beginning.

No offense to the "Geo Man" but, i'm unimpressed by a newcomer professing to be the voice of geocaching. You lack credibility.

I'll chime in as the optimistic guy and list a couple of reasons why a geocaching show could be interesting.

• It can show some interesting scenery that you'd never visit or don't have close by. Caching in snow, dense forrest or highly populated towns
  • By watching others geocache, you’ll be given insigt as to how geocaching works in other places
  • You might get inspired by a great cache run and want to go to some place simular or place a simular cache of your own
  • It could be produced in a humorous or educational way that is interesting to watch
  • It could feature some hard-to-reach caches that you've always wondered what it was like getting to

Simply put, a show about geocaching would be the same as a show about anything else you watch. As long as it's made well, it's watchable. Don't knock a guy who is just trying to create something interesting that he likes doing just because you personally wouldn't watch it.

I agree, I think the only way a show like this could keep going and be interesting, is if it traveled a lot and showed interesting caching experiences around the US and the world. Things that perhaps a lot of us could never do, because we couldn't go to these places or experience these interesting things.

The other thing is that I think geocaching is about the people as well. I wouldn't want to watch the same guy episode after episode like Man vs. Wild or the Survivorman. I could watch a show that was more like Dirty Jobs, where you have an engaging host that goes to different places and meets up with people who help host. Have them show their favorite places, talk about the regional differences and fun facts. Go to events here and there and see how they're done around the world. That sort of stuff could be interesting.

I'll chime in as the optimistic guy and list a couple of reasons why a geocaching show could be interesting.

• It can show some interesting scenery that you'd never visit or don't have close by. Caching in snow, dense forrest or highly populated towns
  • By watching others geocache, you’ll be given insigt as to how geocaching works in other places
  • You might get inspired by a great cache run and want to go to some place simular or place a simular cache of your own
  • It could be produced in a humorous or educational way that is interesting to watch
  • It could feature some hard-to-reach caches that you've always wondered what it was like getting to

Simply put, a show about geocaching would be the same as a show about anything else you watch. As long as it's made well, it's watchable. Don't knock a guy who is just trying to create something interesting that he likes doing just because you personally wouldn't watch it.

I second that--I'm assuming this pilot episode here was made with little funding, few resources, and almost no staff--as more of a proof of concept. Do we need a PhD of Geocachology on the screen for that purpose? Do I complain when Morgan Freeman narrates about penguins without being an expert in the field? If a TV network were to pick this up, I assume the result would end up being much more appealing to the greater public (i.e. think Man Vs. Wild type drama and remote environment) and most watching it would not be hard-core geocachers like the forum readers here are. Sure, I might not be able to handle watching others geocache for long, though I can't watch football without getting bored and wanting to go play instead of watch. Again, it'd all be about the drama, danger, adventure, personal interactions, etc. And it would do wonders for drawing more public to the sport (is that good or bad?).

I second that--I'm assuming this pilot episode here was made with little funding, few resources, and almost no staff--as more of a proof of concept. Do we need a PhD of Geocachology on the screen for that purpose? Do I complain when Morgan Freeman narrates about penguins without being an expert in the field? If a TV network were to pick this up, I assume the result would end up being much more appealing to the greater public (i.e. think Man Vs. Wild type drama and remote environment) and most watching it would not be hard-core geocachers like the forum readers here are. Sure, I might not be able to handle watching others geocache for long, though I can't watch football without getting bored and wanting to go play instead of watch. Again, it'd all be about the drama, danger, adventure, personal interactions, etc. And it would do wonders for drawing more public to the sport (is that good or bad?).

I think geocaching was better off when it was a "secret group" unknown to the general public. With it's increased popularity, as well as visibility, more areas are being closed to geocaching, and geo-regulations have increased.

Edited by Kit Fox

Would prolly do better as a 'reality' based competition. Bring in about a dozen 2-person teams, send 'em all out in the mornings to find 4 or 5 caches on the "island" -- caches to include Puzzles, Multis, in addition to Traditionals of differing Terrain/Difficulty ratings.

FTF gets 'Power of Veto'; first 5 (cache contents?) get special meal treats, bug spray, fresh batteries etc. Last-to-log all of each day's caches are kicked out of camp. Anyone who fails to find gets 1 demerit point for each failure -- X # (10?) of demerits - autiomatic adios!

~*

Edited by Star*Hopper

I tried to watch a number of times. It just doesn't hold my attention. Hokey is as nice an adjective as I can use.

However, the 3 documentaries I've seen on geocaching did hold my attention an not just because I knew/knew of most of the cachers in them. I like seeing REAL cachers in different parts of the country doing their thang. I like the counterpoint of various land management agencies like in the "Geocache" film.

I'd like more of the same and would watch that once an awhile.

I'd also like to see something on the impact of GeoTourism and I'd like to see it done well. We geocachers don't have a lobby to argue our cause to short sighted law givers who try to ban caching in places like South Carolina..... Decent PROOF would help.

Edited by Snoogans

You're right in line with where we would take this as a television series. If we produce this for television, it'd be on a much grander scale. We've already had a good amount of success in producing television across the globe and in very remote locations, so when this idea was pitched to us, it seemed like a great fit. This test episode was produced to develop the concept and gauge the interest of a show about geocaching. If we take the next step and develop it as a series, it would have the budget to explore the most exciting caches in the world.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. Keep it coming - we're listening. What else would you like to see in a show about geocaching?

Benjamin Rowland

Producer

Wheeler Communications

I tried to watch a number of times. It just doesn't hold my attention. Hokey is as nice an adjective as I can use.

However, the 3 documentaries I've seen on geocaching did hold my attention an not just because I knew/knew of most of the cachers in them. I like seeing REAL cachers in different parts of the country doing their thang. I like the counterpoint of various land management agencies like in the "Geocache" film.

I'd like more of the same and would watch that once an awhile.

I'd also like to see something on the impact of GeoTourism and I'd like to see it done well. We geocachers don't have a lobby to argue our cause to short sighted law givers who try to ban caching in places like South Carolina..... Decent PROOF would help.

Hey I was in that one and you know me. :)

(This has been your ODS moment of the day sponsored by Degree Deodorant for men)

:D

Part 1

Part 2

-----------------

:anibad:B):huh:

Oh no! The spamming sock puppets are back! Run! Hide!

:ph34r:

It's interesting, while realistic, seems a little scripted.

I agree, I think the only way a show like this could keep going and be interesting, is if it traveled a lot and showed interesting caching experiences around the US and the world. Things that perhaps a lot of us could never do, because we couldn't go to these places or experience these interesting things.

The other thing is that I think geocaching is about the people as well. I wouldn't want to watch the same guy episode after episode like Man vs. Wild or the Survivorman. I could watch a show that was more like Dirty Jobs, where you have an engaging host that goes to different places and meets up with people who help host. Have them show their favorite places, talk about the regional differences and fun facts. Go to events here and there and see how they're done around the world. That sort of stuff could be interesting.

I think it would have potential, but only if they had a variety of people, from all around the US (or NAmerica, or the world) showing their beautiful areas. He keeps saying how beautiful it is etc. IMO it is nothing compared to what we see here in Oregon! vhq078.jpg

DITTO on the engaging host traveling around idea!

My comments:

Agree on the profanity, not needed, this should be a family/Child friendly show.

Not sure it would making it as a regular series but you might be able to do a small number of documentaries

BIG Suggestion - Make sure you address geocaching ediquet and follow your own advice.

It doesn't look to good on your part when you recommend that people head out with a good set of batteries and then the first thing that happens in the show it your batteries die.

Handline wildlife - while I think it is great that your into looking for and handling wildlife I would suggest you either don't do this in the show or at least make the recommendation that capturing wildlike is not part of geocaching and approaching and/or handling wild animals is not something the average person should do.

Same comment as above about geocaching rules and not burying cache containers.

Did Geogia recently divide into two states, you must have used the term North Georgia a half a dozen times. Last I checked there was no north or south Georgia it was just one state.

I agree that an importtant aspect of making this show succesful is going to have to be location, location, location. Most viewers will tire very quickly of watching you walk through the Hoboken Wildlife Management Area. Your going to have to find very interesting, unique caches and/or caches that are in extremely scenic locations. Famous Guest would be nice also, if you can find some that aren't anti-geocaching. Jeff Foxworthy would be a good one

For the first couple shows you should explain more about how your using your GPS and what kind of things our looking for that help you find the cache.

I think it's great the you challange yourself by using the 'as the crow flies' method but for most geocaching, specially in wildlife areas, the recommendation should be to stick to the trails until your as close to GZ as you can get.

You should give advice on dealing with wildlife, bears etc

that's it for now

I don't like this at all... This sport, game, addiction, whatever, needs to continue to grow by word of mouth. Mass communication of this sort will screw up what we have on a grand level. Sometimes, flying under the radar is best, and Geocaching is definitely one of those things.

Geocaching should continue to be on a need to know basis. Most who need to know, already do.

Edited by Okiebryan

Did Geogia recently divide into two states, you must have used the term North Georgia a half a dozen times. Last I checked there was no north or south Georgia it was just one state.

No, we haven't divided, but we do have two totally different types of scenery. Anyone who came to South Georgia looking for trees like those and hills would be quite disappointed! Saying North Georgia is fairly common down here.

Well, I just forced myself to watch the first 6 1/2 minutes of video. I believe your idea will make a good show dedicated to those armchair watchers who sit idly by watching adventure movies that they will never have a chance of participating in. It may also appeal to Rambo wannabes looking for adventure doing things that they have no clue about.

For adventure and exercise seeking families, the message is way too strong in touting the bushwhacking and the snake handling aspect. I have caches here, where bear scat is common on the trails, moose will face you down on a trail, or you may come face to face with a 30# porcupine guarding a cache. I have even stirred up a bobcat or two sleeping on a hide.

My point is, your attitude and bush knowledge preclude about 95% of your target audience, if you want to convert the average couch potato viewer to geocaching. If you tone down the bleeps and the bushwhacking it may get families and individuals interested in taking up the sport.

Of course, it's just my opinion, but I thought I would throw my 2 cents (Cdn) into the pot.

I admired the production quality and thought that it was pretty fun to watch. I like to go hunting and for me watching hunting programs is inspiring. Perhaps this can work the same way for some. I understand the sentiment though that growing geocaching much faster than it already is growing could bring some unwanted results. Watching people go for a cache week after week would run out of steam eventually so I would hope that you would feature tips and new technologies as well as some other features that would entice a viewer to come back.

Part 1

Part 2

-----------------

Where are you hosting this?

I admired the production quality and thought that it was pretty fun to watch. I like to go hunting and for me watching hunting programs is inspiring. Perhaps this can work the same way for some. I understand the sentiment though that growing geocaching much faster than it already is growing could bring some unwanted results. Watching people go for a cache week after week would run out of steam eventually so I would hope that you would feature tips and new technologies as well as some other features that would entice a viewer to come back.

I agree!! Showing a new gps unit, tips from the web site, or Geo coins being made would break up just going for the cache. Also go after deferent types of caches would aslo keep it from getting dull. I would even show an event caches and meet some of us crazy cachers :huh: . I would watch that week after week. B)

I agree that they need to be exta- ordinary caches. I suggest Hawaii or somewhere else where you would have to scuba dive to the cache, or somewhere where you could climb volcano sides or mountains... I havent gotten out of my Texas zone enough to give great examples but the caches have to be eye caching and somewhere where the normal person and the normal cacher dont have the chance to go...

I think it was great as a test run! It's got a lot of promise. Of course you could not do evrything in the first try, but it was a good start. You focused on what, for many of us, is the best thing about geocaching. It gets us to places we might not otherwise have found and can lead to other interesting activities during the cache hunt. That was much better than following someone trying to do a big numbers run, although that might be good for a later episode to show a novel spinoff of the original idea of geocaching.

Taking a page from Dirty Jobs, you could have people send in nominations for worthy caches and then have your host go cache with them.

I hope the initial blast of negative coments doesn't discourage you. That's fairly typical for any new idea presented in these forums. Do you have several experienced geocachers as consultants? It will be important to have a team, since there is such immense variety in style, preference, interpretation of rules, etc...

I'll be waiting to see where you go with this!

I think it was trash. My main reason is I think the growth of geocaching needs to be moderate. While it is good to spread the word, if the growth rate gets to be too much, we will be in trouble. And with events such as what happened a few days ago, caches being archieved on the ATC in PA, I worry a lot about the future of this sport. My second point coincides with my first, I think cachers need to minimize their impact on the environment (and I supervisor drilling of oil and gas wells), so the point that you would just bushwack opposed to take the trail...really turned me off to the show. It makes us seem like people who care more about the cache than nature. We all end up bushwacking at some point or another, but I don't know anyone who purposely wants to bushwack. Do the map work (which they did for the show because the host mentioned taking a bushwaking route opposed to the more common route via the trail) and minimize your impact.

I personally don't like the show. Most geocachers care about the sport, while these people care more about making money and won't do things to try and preserve it as long as possible (e.g. cussing, bushwacking). This is the kind of thing that will leave us all looking for nanos in urban settings, with no more 5-star rated terrain caches at the top of a peak.

We appreciate all the feedback so far - positive and negative. We posted this test episode in the hope that it would generate this kind of dialogue. We're already discussing several changes we'll make if we turn this into a TV series, and many of these discussions have centered around the ideas posted in this forum.

What would you, the geocaching community, like to see in a show about geocaching?

Many thanks,

Ben Rowland

Wheeler Communications

I watched the whole episode and I have to say that I am really impressed. The show presents a very professional deminer, plus, it's well promotes what we're all about. The extras to the adventure too like the snakes (yikes!) and the gold were awesome. It's amazing what can bring to you a cache. Now, a few of my suggestions for future episodes are...Keep up the awesome work, do different cache types like puzzle, multi, and maybe different sizes as well as a veriety of locations like maybe in the city as well. Thank you for the awesome show and I can really see this coming successful in the future.

What would you, the geocaching community, like to see in a show about geocaching?

You can refer back to my original post in your first thread.

Overall, I like the idea. I'd watch it.

Here's the thing: "Man vs Wild" vs "Survivorman." You could tell which one "walked the walk." The other guy got watched two or three times before it simply was no longer interesting except from a point and laugh angle. How he is still on I have no idea.

Anyway, from watching the test episode it's clear from a veteran cacher's point of view that you need some mentoring. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, but simply from an expert's point of view. Given that even though he is a survival expert and adventure racer, Les still gets expert advice from the locals. Your show will likely get some folks into the hobby and you don't want to start them off wrong! "But, Mark said...!"

What I'd like to see in a geocaching TV show is caching in a variety of environments, everything from the beaches to the mountain tops, from Southern swamp to Southwest desert. Urban to remote--it's all good.

...as long as they are all good caches.

Just make sure all of your information is correct. Like the different between hitch hikers, signature items and regular trinkets.

I'd also like to see various gadgets used. A [hiking] stick to poke for a cache buried in a thick layer of leaves. A flashlight to look in a hollow tree. A mirror for same. A journal for recording adventures or at least a note pad for writing down clues. Space pen for damp logs. Etc. etc.

You could point out techniques used to find a cache like watching out of social trails, odd patterns in sticks or rocks, etc.

The minor goofs made like no spare batteries and error inputting coordinates only add to the sense of what could go wrong. Folks do learn from other folks mistakes. Just don't make it look like you're incompetent.

Lastly, recognize there are plenty of vocal individuals here on the forums, and in the wild, that have their own idea of what geocaching is all about. Funny thing is some of the above folks who are pooh-poohing your efforts at a TV show fall all over themselves in support of a geocaching magazine. Go figure.

I watched the whole episode and I have to say that I am really impressed. The show presents a very professional deminer, plus, it's well promotes what we're all about. The extras to the adventure too like the snakes (yikes!) and the gold were awesome. It's amazing what can bring to you a cache. Now, a few of my suggestions for future episodes are...Keep up the awesome work, do different cache types like puzzle, multi, and maybe different sizes as well as a veriety of locations like maybe in the city as well. Thank you for the awesome show and I can really see this coming successful in the future.

Strange, but I do not remember any mining activity, nor any miners, nor any demining activity, nor any deminers, in the video. Very odd.