eTrex Legend HCx

user13371

The only autorouting mapping software you can get is from Garmin. Just buy the latest version of city navigator and you will have the most up-to-date you can get for the Garmin units. Goes for about $100.

Topo for the Garmin's is not terribly detailes but not bad for terrain - about $80.

Good deal on the unit - so long as it is still in the box with cables, software and the lanyard.

... buy the latest version of city navigator and you will have the most up-to-date you can get ... about $100. ... Topo for the Garmin's is not terribly detailed but not bad for terrain - about $80....
Hmmmmm, what about http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/topo/topous24kcard.jsp, which includes topo 24K coverage AND routable roads and trails?

Is available for Oregon/Washington region for $99 (Garmin Part Number: 010-C0948-00), and that's the region I'm interested in.

Anybody have this item, and able to comment on how up-to-date the road data is?

They're not for everyone, but as I know you're a techie kind of guy, cloudmade has converted the OSM data sets to be readily usable on that model and cgsmapper has topo sets for at least some of WA, both free.

Not saying they're a substitue for the Garmin maps; just pointing out options that are easy to experiment with for those willing to mess with such things.

Oregon/Washington region for $99 (Garmin Part Number: 010-C0948-00), and that's the region I'm interested in.

Anybody have this item, and able to comment on how up-to-date the road data is?

I have the CA/NV version; I am using it on an Oregon.

It's a sweet map. 24k topo with what appears to be a routable version of CN09 superimposed on the topographic background.

... 24k topo with what appears to be a routable version of CN09 ...
How can you tell it's CN09 rather than 08 or other version? Does the start screen of the GPS show who's copyright & date is on the map data?

I am making an assumption that it is CN09. My assumption is based on the following observation.

I have CN08 and I noticed that some of the roads on the 24k map do not appear on CN08. I have not noticed any text in the 24k map referring to CN09