Oregon Freezes when plugged into PC

Team Balders

When I plug my Oregon 200 into my PC (WinXP Pro, USB2.0, supplied Garmin USB lead), the unit powers up, goes through the "saving waypoints..." screen then switches to the Oregon and PC graphic. So far so good!

However, the PC does not see the Oregon and if I unplug the Oregon, I find that it has frozen. I need to remove and replace a battery to reset the unit.

Has anyone else experienced this or, better still, know how to stop it happening?

Yes! I was beginning to feel lonely. I see this problem in about 10-20% of my connects to a PC. I'm running some experiments now but I have a feeling that it only occurs when I plug the OR into my computer when it is powered off. I'd be interested to know if you've seen it happen when it is running off battery power and then plugged in.

I saw this a lot in 2.2, never in 2.3, came back in 2.4 and I haven't seen it in 2.5. But I haven't connected many times in 2.5. What version of software are you running?

GO$Rs

One thought that ran thru my mind when reading about "unplugging" the oregon, at which point it is frozen is that:

did you just literally "unplug" the usb, and did you "Safely Remove Hardware" from the little icon in the lower right part of your taskbar on the pc? Many devices need to be "safely removed" to prevent problems.

It was just a thought, if it helps you, good! If not, I guess I don't have the answer :)

One thought that ran thru my mind when reading about "unplugging" the oregon, at which point it is frozen is that:

did you just literally "unplug" the usb, and did you "Safely Remove Hardware" from the little icon in the lower right part of your taskbar on the pc? Many devices need to be "safely removed" to prevent problems.

It was just a thought, if it helps you, good! If not, I guess I don't have the answer :)

That thought crossed my mind, but it doesn't make any difference.

I'm going to try a different PC.