Memory Map

Am not sure that is correct for Memory map?

Perhaps Anquet?.

I believe they do all the landrangers?

However the cost is quite high I believe, about £30 for one of the 400 + maps ie £12000 for the whole country?

Think that mm do a number of national parks and trails along with "selections" that allow you to pick your own area but is still pretty costly.

I seem to think there is some misunderstanding here.

I believe all the British Isles is covered by MM at 1:25000 by its use of its "selections" idea.

The British Isles is also wholly covered at 1:25000 but as Explorer maps by Anquet.

Even using the "selections" I would personally find it prohibitively expensive to buy the whole of GB at the 1:25000 scale from either.

You are a lucky man melmur

I seem to think there is some misunderstanding here.

I believe all the British Isles is covered by MM at 1:25000 by its use of its "selections" idea.

The British Isles is also wholly covered at 1:25000 but as Explorer maps by Anquet.

Even using the "selections" I would personally find it prohibitively expensive to buy the whole of GB at the 1:25000 scale from either.

You are a lucky man melmur

And so am I.....:)

I also have the whole of the UK down to 1:25k, most of Cornwall and some of Devon down to 1:10k, and 80% of the UK as aerial photos - all for Memory Map 2004. :anicute::D:lol:

You certainly used to be able to order individual Explorer sheets off the MM website, it seems the selections thing has taken over from that now. I suppose for legitimate customers, it's better as they only have to pay for the parts they want. There are ways of obtaining the maps from other less legitimate sources. Please do not send me any more PMs as I am certainly not going to distribute them.

You could always enclose the UK in a route and send it to them, see how much they quote.

As mentioned above, you can also scan your own maps and calibrate them in Memory Map if you have the right version. I have 5.0.5 Pro and you can do it with that.

A lot people are assuming that the software has to be bought retail price. Some of you may know that I work for a Local Authority in the IT department. One of our outdoor education centres (where the kids go climbing, canoeing, walking etc) does have the UK in 25,000. Whatever the justifications are for someone requiring that level of mapping (and no I have NOT taken a copy, I would NOT threaten my job by stealing from my employer), some organisations can get the mapping at a much more reduced level than the retail price. Which we did.

Our local authority is currently having to set-up a new Housing Trust which will be a registered charity. You will not believe how cheap the charity licensing is for software from Microsoft. It depends what type of business you're in and the costs change accordingly. I'm fairly confident that there are 'outdoor consultants' or 'rights of way inspectors' who may have the software from other avenues but borrow works equipment for a sneaky cache or two.

I started out using OziExplorer to do this a few years back. It's a cheap alternative if you have the paper maps.
I use both MemoryMap and OziExplorer. They are very different and each has its strengths and weaknesses, but on the whole I prefer the OE user interface. It's more flexible than OS version of MM, but it requires more effort and techincal awareness to prepare the maps.

If anyone is thinking of getting it, remember when costing it that you have to buy the PC as well as the PDA version.

Rgds, Andy