Help

Caribou Hunter

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#maint

It may be difficult to fulfill your maintenance obligations if you place a cache while traveling on vacation or otherwise outside of your normal caching area. These caches may not be published unless you are able to demonstrate an acceptable maintenance plan. It is not uncommon for caches to go missing, areas to be cleared, trails to be blocked or closed, objects used for multi-cache or puzzles to be moved or removed, etc. Your maintenance plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems.
t may be difficult to fulfill your maintenance obligations if you place a cache while traveling on vacation or otherwise outside of your normal caching area. These caches may not be published unless you are able to demonstrate an acceptable maintenance plan. It is not uncommon for caches to go missing, areas to be cleared, trails to be blocked or closed, objects used for multi-cache or puzzles to be moved or removed, etc. Your maintenance plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems.

under "cache maintenance" here: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Cache Maintenance

The territory in which a geocacher is able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from one person to the next. An active geocacher who regularly visits areas hundreds of miles apart can demonstrate their ability to maintain a cache 100 miles from home. A geocacher whose previous finds and hides are all within 25 miles of their home would likely not see their cache published if placed 250 miles away from their home.

Cache Maintenance

The territory in which a geocacher is able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from one person to the next. An active geocacher who regularly visits areas hundreds of miles apart can demonstrate their ability to maintain a cache 100 miles from home. A geocacher whose previous finds and hides are all within 25 miles of their home would likely not see their cache published if placed 250 miles away from their home.

So...If a guy was gonna fly up into Quebec...on his fourth trip to the tundra and place a small cache...where the caribou roam...and there was a verry small chance another caribou hunter would discover it in a season or two. {need gps caribou hunting}.....you think goungspeak would turn me down!

Cache Maintenance

So...If a guy was gonna fly up into Quebec...on his fourth trip to the tundra and place a small cache...where the caribou roam...and there was a verry small chance another caribou hunter would discover it in a season or two. {need gps caribou hunting}.....you think goungspeak would turn me down!

""""Your maintenance plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems.""""

do you have a plan ?

send the reviewer in Quebec ( cachechisme ) a note and tell them your plan, before placing one , they are there to help.

Max

Down here in Florida we see all too many crappy vacation caches that, while maintenance is promised, in reality never happens.

I'd like to see "vacation caches" outlawed altogether. Place your soggy micros in your own town.

Well there's also the part of the guidelines that state that there is no precedant in cache placement.

Even though a bunch of 'crappy' vacation caches were allowed in the past with or without the cache owner ever having any maintenance plan, there is reason to allow ALL new caches to be so blatantly created. And there is no reason to archive many possibly not 'crappy' caches that have been published in the past.

What a bummer you feel that way...I've seen the soggy micros...stuck to road signs. And picked up the ammo cans twenty feet off the trail in a small town park. I'm a 5/5 difficulty, terrain kinda guy....we set some 5/5 casches and no one comes......I'm gonna set a 8/8 up past James Bay...where the Caribou roam wether it gets published or not.

I'm new to this geocaching thing...but not to walkin the wild places...with my rifle and gps.

(pics removed for brevity)

(coordinates removed)

If you cannot list your cache on the web site because it is a vacation cache, that includes both the main GC.com web site *and* the forums.

Next time you are in the area, pick up your cache if you cannot get it listed. Bring it home, ask for permission to place it somewhere, and place where you can keep a good eye on it.

And think about the container you plan to use, some frown on the pipe cache as it could be mistaken for something a bit less friendly!

Who would place a pipe bomb in area with more Caribou than people? :rolleyes:

Caribou Hunter,

Don't dispair, your cache looks like a fun adventure that hardcore outdoorsman would love to find.

Sadly, the vacation rule was created because of travelers placing poorly maintained caches.

Edited by Kit Fox