Garmin GPS III Plus

paraflier

OK, so I have a dinosaur of a GPS. The little hamster can only run so fast inside the thing. (Insert joke about old GPS unit here) :huh:

What I would like to know is: Is it worth buying the PC adapter, as well as the 9-pin to USB adapter from Garmin (or another outlet) so I can transfer waypoints to the unit? Or have things advanced enough in the 10-12 years since the unit was new to not even make it worth the money and effort?

I have tried to find literature as well as instructions regarding the whole "download waypoints" but whenever I try to make the search brand and model specific, I get nothing. Except that that unit is discontinued. :rolleyes:

So what do you think? The unit itself works great, just would like to bring it up to date. Worth it? Or do I have to bite the bullet, and get one of those shiny new units?

Thanks for reading/ helping.

What I would like to know is: Is it worth buying the PC adapter, as well as the 9-pin to USB adapter from Garmin (or another outlet) so I can transfer waypoints to the unit? Or have things advanced enough in the 10-12 years since the unit was new to not even make it worth the money and effort?

I am cheap/frugal/stubborn, so I'd buy the cable and adapter cheap off eBay or similar. The USB adapter will be usable for other legacy serial devices also.

That's the way I was leaning.... Just needed a push!

So when I get the waypoint files, is it as easy as drag n drop to the Garmin as a removable device? Or is there a lot more to it. (I'm all about easy...) I want to make sure I can actually make the downloadable waypoints work before I shell out $ for adapters and cables. I'm cheap like that.

Thanks for the help!

I would buy a new unit. If you want functionality at a low price the Garmin Legend CX is on sale at www.costco.com for $140. This model has been discontinued because Garmin has Released the Legend Hcx that has a new High sensitivity reciever.

Thanks for the great ideas, and the link...That I probably would have found if I looked a little harder, and not jumped right to a post!

That's the way I was leaning.... Just needed a push!

So when I get the waypoint files, is it as easy as drag n drop to the Garmin as a removable device? Or is there a lot more to it. (I'm all about easy...) I want to make sure I can actually make the downloadable waypoints work before I shell out $ for adapters and cables. I'm cheap like that.

EasyGPS is free (and easy) and is probably the go-to software for uploading waypoints to GPSr of all flavors.

That was my mainstay GPS for a number of years. I used the old serial cable...gave it to a family friend who bought a generic usb serial adapter (radioshack) and uses it. We borrowed that unit last Summer when we went on a multi-state National Park's trip so we could download caches along a route. It worked great - got us close enough to find caches in CA, AZ, NV.

My recollection is there was an update a couple of years ago for the III+ so if you haven't loaded that update, I'd do that and get a couple of cables for $50.00 and try it out. At worst, you have a decent backup GPS when you finally go out and buy a newer model.

my 2 cents.

OK, so I have a dinosaur of a GPS. The little hamster can only run so fast inside the thing. (Insert joke about old GPS unit here) :huh:

I have tried to find literature as well as instructions regarding the whole "download waypoints" but whenever I try to make the search brand and model specific, I get nothing. Except that that unit is discontinued. :rolleyes:

So what do you think? The unit itself works great, just would like to bring it up to date. Worth it? Or do I have to bite the bullet, and get one of those shiny new units?

Thanks for reading/ helping.

I have a GPS III+ which I successfully used for some time on a PC with no serial adapter. I used a cheap Belkin USB to serial converter. Worked fine with Mapsource and the like. However, it did NOT work with Garmin Communicator. I have not tried it lately, but the symptoms (and Garmin's support response) were such that I think it's just not a supported configuration. This eliminates one of the easiest ways to get cache waypoints down to the device.