Cache Hidden in 1901?

GrandpaKim

How can a cache be hidden in 1901? There's this cache a few miles from my home:

GCRQN7 - Cache Just Off the Path

It shows that it was hidden on 12/13/1901. How is that possible? I thought the first cache hidden was on May 3, 2000. Needless to say, I can't include this cache in any of my PQs, since the earliest date allowed on them is 1/1/1998. Can this be fixed? It shows that it was published on 12/26/2005, so the hidden date should probably be 12/13/2005.

Try e-mailing the owner or reviewer. He should be able to correct the information.

We had a new cache published last year that had been hidden 3 years earlier but the owner just never got around to publishing it. A lot of other cachers had already found it while looking to place our own cache or the parks department sent some out to find it without coordinates. So the real FTF was 3 years before publication. But I think 107 years may be a bit of a stretch.

Because there is nothing in gc.com to stop you from creating or changing the Date Placed to whatever date you chose.

Oh, NO, not Y1.9K again.

Hasn't that little glitch been 'fixed' along with a lot of other things recently?

If not then changing the date of a hide should require reviewer approval just as changing the coordinates by more than 528 feet does, and just as changing the type of cache does...

Hasn't that little glitch been 'fixed' along with a lot of other things recently?

If not then changing the date of a hide should require reviewer approval just as changing the coordinates by more than 528 feet does, and just as changing the type of cache does...

It's possible, because this was hidden almost 3 years ago.

It shows that it was hidden on 12/13/1901. How is that possible? I thought the first cache hidden was on May 3, 2000. Needless to say, I can't include this cache in any of my PQs, since the earliest date allowed on them is 1/1/1998. Can this be fixed? It shows that it was published on 12/26/2005, so the hidden date should probably be 12/13/2005.

Most likely, the owner uses an Apple. There is/was a problem with the date widget and Apple OS, causing the date to revert to 1901.

I saw this issue affect another cache. One-way function (GCWHE8)

Go to any State search page such as "by State (US only):" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?state_id=44, click to the last of the many pages listed with the >> button. There you will see the 'oldest' caches, well what should be the oldest caches. And some that are accidently old as in the Mac issue, and some that are intentionally old but faked intentionally.

GC62 is obvioulsy a old cache, while GCRV4R is kind of old but not that old really.

I think that the cache placement date should not be changable by the owner. It should be settable by the owner, and have legal limits of today...to...perhaps next week, no past dates. Owners should not be able to change it after it's been published. Reviewers should FORCE it to the date that they approve it.

Go to any State search page such as "by State (US only):" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?state_id=44, click to the last of the many pages listed with the >> button. There you will see the 'oldest' caches, well what should be the oldest caches. And some that are accidently old as in the Mac issue, and some that are intentionally old but faked intentionally.

GC62 is obvioulsy a old cache, while GCRV4R is kind of old but not that old really.

I think that the cache placement date should not be changable by the owner. It should be settable by the owner, and have legal limits of today...to...perhaps next week, no past dates. Owners should not be able to change it after it's been published. Reviewers should FORCE it to the date that they approve it.

I could see going back maybe a week. Say you were on a camping trip and placed a geocache while up in the mountains. It might take you a week to get back and fill out the cache page. But I think the best thing is to not allow the submitter to change the submit date and have it pick up the current date.

I created a puzzle cache in June of 07. I created the cache page back then, and had a GC number assigned way back then.

I have yet to actually place the cache in it's location, a 2.5 mile bushwhack.

I fully expect to correct the placement date once I go about letting the reviewer see it.

After all, I want it to have the [New] icon next to it when it gets published.

And for it to appear in the first page of State search results.

And I want everyone to get a chance to be FTF on it, not just the Premium Members who have notifications set up.