Are you taking ANOTHER picture?

infiniteMPG

Wanted to see how the photo-cachers handle this situation as I know I can't be the only one that this happens to. You and your significant other grab your geocaching gear and snag your camera and hit the trails or load it up in the 'yak and hit the water. As you're traveling along you see something really REALLY neat and you stop in your tracks and reach for your camera. As you're trying to frame the shot, or get the light or angle right, you glance over to see your caching-mate disappearing around the bend. So you snap a could quick shots and run (or paddle fast) to catch up. So the next time you see something, you compromise the camera settings and framing and snap and run. Sometimes you don't even stop while you shoot.

My girlfriend and I run thru this constantly. She doesn't give me grief about it and have she is pretty compromising about it but I can tell she's bored while I'm shooting and I try my best to do it quick. She loves the pictures and re-living the trip with them later, but while we're on the trail or the water, I think I'm compromising some of the shots by not taking my time. She doesn't like hauling stuff with her as I'm the pack mule so having her haul a camera of her own is pretty much out of the question. I can see both sides of the issue but wondered how others handle this situation.

I won't hike with my gf anymore if she brings her camera.

she will sit at one thing forever to get a picture of it. I don't enjoy standing and waiting for longer than I spend hiking. I could tolerate it to a point, but it's beyond that, and takes the fun out of hiking for me.

I think it's just kind of inconsiderate of the other person to make them wait like that. I take hundreds of pictures when on a long hike, I don't waste a lot of time, and I think my pictures turn out pretty well.

Caching and hiking to me is not about the box at the end but about the journey.

I will always stop to smell the flowers or taste the mushrooms and takes their pics. If my hiking partners don't like my pace they are free to travel on and I will catch up eventually. My wife is a slow hiker and I always have time to take pics or clean storm debris from the trail.

I'm really jealous of the terrain you get to cache in Totem! That's some awesome scenery.

I enjoy caching in the terrain TotemLake caches in too. I haven't gone on one with him since we did this one on the flanks of a dormant volcano:

e5cf3635-53ce-47d5-ac74-ed860248856c.jpg

If the person I am with isn't patient enough to wait for me to get that perfect shot then I'll simply flip the camera settings to Automatic and do the "point and shoot" routine. Snap enough shots and hope like heck that one of them ends up being useful.

Of course, I tend to take more snapshots that photographs anyway.

I have the same problem and as a result I have a gazillion photos of peoples butts.
Yep.

Sometimes I'll just yell and ask my partner to stop and pose.
...and get an eye-roll, glare, or hiding behind a tree or hand for my efforts.

And sometimes simply I run ahead and wait for the subject to approach.
Yep...

...and be sneaky about it so I don't get the aforementioned "pose."

I'm really jealous of the terrain you get to cache in Totem! That's some awesome scenery. Its the pits here in north Texas, terrain wise, but housing sure is cheap. Take that as you will. :huh:

Been there. Lubbock to be exact. I know exactly what you mean. At one point, I was surprised to see hills. :rolleyes:

For the backside shots, I've learned sometimes that's the best pose.

690af128-89a5-432a-8544-e42ec78d8183.jpg

I learned that pose early in the HOTM series by The Leprechauns looking for a way to express the view in a very perceptive way.

4a6f3c52-f620-4441-8e55-eeed64d24818.jpg

Yeah, if she doesn't want to wait for you, just let her paddle on. You'll catch up eventually. Half the fun of caching is taking time to enjoy the scenery around you. Though I know sometimes we get caught up in the excitement of the hunt and start walking (or in yalls case paddling) faster.... but still I don't think you should have to miss out on photo ops because she's in a hurry to get there. Surely you guys can compromise on it if you tell her you'd like to take a little more time taking some pictures.... :rolleyes:

Yeah, if she doesn't want to wait for you, just let her paddle on. You'll catch up eventually. Half the fun of caching is taking time to enjoy the scenery around you.
Well, even though it's often a rear view she is often the primary subject in my pictures when 'yakking :

p001.jpg

And also when biking :

bike.jpg

Which also tends to have hundreds of pictures of our adventures that people ask me if I was there (as I'm not in any of the pictures unless I loan my camera to someone and then they end up being 'stand over there and smile' pictures.... bleck!)

Though I know sometimes we get caught up in the excitement of the hunt and start walking (or in yalls case paddling) faster.... but still I don't think you should have to miss out on photo ops because she's in a hurry to get there. Surely you guys can compromise on it if you tell her you'd like to take a little more time taking some pictures.... :rolleyes:
A couple things I found work, take her out of her element... like from the nice Florida weather to freezing on the top of a mountain. When the steps are frozen I glide down and can actually get front views of her inching down 'beside' the steps...

whites-02.jpg

Oh yeah, I love the information signs, especially historical ones, she's always stopping to read and it gives me a chance to catch up!

whites-01.jpg

Well, even though it's often a rear view she is often the primary subject in my pictures when 'yakking :

And also when biking :

Which also tends to have hundreds of pictures of our adventures that people ask me if I was there (as I'm not in any of the pictures unless I loan my camera to someone and then they end up being 'stand over there and smile' pictures.... bleck!)

Well since she's the primary subject, I don't blame her for trying to hurry you along...she's not saying "ANOTHER picture?"....she's saying "Not Another picture of me!!!" haha!! But since you are patient and let her read the signs, I don't think she'll have a problem being patient with you and your camera...as long as you are taking pictures of more than just her... :rolleyes:

A couple things I found work, take her out of her element... like from the nice Florida weather to freezing on the top of a mountain. When the steps are frozen I glide down and can actually get front views of her inching down 'beside' the steps...

whites-02.jpg

Oh yeah, I love the information signs, especially historical ones, she's always stopping to read and it gives me a chance to catch up!

whites-01.jpg

That looks familiar - is that Whiteside Mt in NC by any chance?

I mostly cache alone so I'm free to take as much time as I need or want to. When I do cache with others, I warn them ahead of time that I'll want to stop and take pictures. Then I usually take up the rear so I can stop as long as I want and then hurry to cache up.

Hey, I recognize that spot! Yes, Mertat, I'm pretty sure that it is Whiteside- you just beat me to the post! :rolleyes:

like from the nice Florida weather to freezing on the top of a mountain. When the steps are frozen I glide down and can actually get front views of her inching down 'beside' the steps...

whites-02.jpg

whites-01.jpg

As a solo hiker, I don't have the problem of anyone tapping their toe while I'm taking pictures. What I do have is the problem of staying on schedule. I do some pretty ambitious single-day hikes that require setting a very fast pace. So I end up goading myself to stop lallygagging and get a move on.

Worse yet, if I want a landscape with a person in it, I have to be the person.

3501acd4-8b5b-4e80-9968-8b6f611e7184.jpg

(Added example pic. Note the multitasking: Picture-taking, modeling, drinking :rolleyes: )

Edited by Mule Ears
Hey, I recognize that spot! Yes, Mertat, I'm pretty sure that it is Whiteside- you just beat me to the post! :huh:
You got it! We like to visit the Highlands area when we can (my folks are still in NC), reminds me of Sarasota's St. Armand's Circle only with snow and ice. And I really like Van Hook Glade and trout fishing across the street each morning, but my GF isn't too much into rustic camping nor things below 75-degrees... :huh:

We did the cache at the top of the mountain but there was another nearby at Devil's Overlook or something like that and I was determined to do it. My GF told me the trails were too iced over. I said I could do it. She said I'd be doing it by myself. I got her to hold my camera and gear and I started down. About the third step I took I busted my butt slipping on the ice covered rocks and slid down a ways before stopping suddenly by crashing into an ice coated bush and the rocks it was growing out of. The I-told-you-so's didn't stop for a while :rolleyes:

It's still on my to-do list :P

As a solo hiker, I don't have the problem of anyone tapping their toe while I'm taking pictures. What I do have is the problem of staying on schedule. I do some pretty ambitious single-day hikes that require setting a very fast pace. So I end up goading myself to stop lallygagging and get a move on.
I can relate to that, too. There is a 5,700 acre preserve here that has a lot of rustic trails, mainly old farm trails used for equestrian. Not really people or bike friendly but I still do it (usually to maintain caches). Some are 11 miles in so it's a tough 22 mile bike ride and usually I can't find anyone insane enough to join me. Dumped my camera in the sand on several occasions balancing it on a fence post or something while trying to pose... I like the view where you were much better. Edited by infiniteMPG

Are you all CRAZY???? You people are amazingly self-deluded, at least when it comes to taking photographs of other people or having photos taken of yourself! The reality is, much as I learned at age seven from my first grade nun Sister Amobiolus at Sacred Heart Elementary School, that taking a photograph of someone steals some of their soul energy, and, in fact, many Native American traditions and some other traditional religions believe that just one photograph can steal the entire soul. So, you do not want to be taking photos of people, ever, nor do you ever want to allow people to take photos of you. Now, I know this is still true, because I just did a Google search in the Internet on this topic, and found over 9,000 web pages devoted to this topic, so this proves that it is true, because it is on the Internet, which is the global library repository of all known information in the world.

So, bottom line is that I need all of you to immediately stop taking photos of other people, and to stop allowing people to take photos of you.

Thank you for doing the needful. A word to the wise is sufficient. Enuf said.

:huh:

:rolleyes::huh:

Are you all CRAZY???? You people are amazingly self-deluded, at least when it comes to taking photographs of other people or having photos taken of yourself! The reality is, much as I learned at age seven from my first grade nun Sister Amobiolus at Sacred Heart Elementary School, that taking a photograph of someone steals some of their soul energy...

That explains why my soul's been feeling a little run down lately. :rolleyes:

Are you all CRAZY???? You people are amazingly self-deluded, at least when it comes to taking photographs of other people or having photos taken of yourself! The reality is, much as I learned at age seven from my first grade nun Sister Amobiolus at Sacred Heart Elementary School, that taking a photograph of someone steals some of their soul energy, and, in fact, many Native American traditions and some other traditional religions believe that just one photograph can steal the entire soul.
Ooops.... I was talking on my cell phone when I read your message and in shock at the news I accidentally clicked the camera button and captured some of your soul.... errrr, I mean your image....

vinnysoul1.jpg

My bad...... :rolleyes:

We did the cache at the top of the mountain but there was another nearby at Devil's Overlook or something like that and I was determined to do it. My GF told me the trails were too iced over. I said I could do it. She said I'd be doing it by myself. I got her to hold my camera and gear and I started down. About the third step I took I busted my butt slipping on the ice covered rocks and slid down a ways before stopping suddenly by crashing into an ice coated bush and the rocks it was growing out of. The I-told-you-so's didn't stop for a while :rolleyes:

It's still on my to-do list :huh:

Devil's Courthouse - my absolute favorite cache! The easiest approach starts from the parking lot behind the bathrooms.

Mule Ears - do you carry a tripod or do you just use available nature?

Vinnie - how do you think I get the energy to do all those hikes? Stealing soul energy is much, much easier than going to the gym and working out!

Devil's Courthouse - my absolute favorite cache! The easiest approach starts from the parking lot behind the bathrooms.
That's the cache and it sounded great. We headed up the summit in a clock-wise direction and when we got to an overlook there was a trail heading down the side that didn't look too tough until I hit the ice. Looking at the pictures from there it seems there was an informational sign saying something about straddling the continental divide there.

whites-04.jpg

Seemed to be the closest access but from the sound of your email we shouldn't of climbed to start with. We came down the other side where the wooden steps are and some great overhangs that had some incredibly long icicles hanging down. Was supposed to be warm when we went but as we drove around the mountainside from Franklin it started snowing. I loved it but she's pretty thin-blooded from the Florida weather.

whites-03.jpg

I'll never forget that as we were exploring the top, I found I still had cell phone signal as my son called me and I was pretty shocked to hear my phone ring (of course that's when my GF had my camera in hand and captured the moment.... hehehe)

whites-05.jpg

Nice to know it worked, but we were enjoying the silence.

Mule Ears - do you carry a tripod or do you just use available nature?

I take along an inexpensive "Ultrapod II" like this one:

ultrapod-2-mini-camera-tripod.jpg

It weighs 4 oz and folds down to a 7" bundle. There's a long Velcro strap that can be wrapped around a tree branch, fence post or other 'found' support to get some height. Places I go, there's usually a convenient boulder to get the 'pod up off the ground, though I sometimes like the worm's-eye view perspective:

b1ca8c4c-921a-47f4-8154-59709f339984.jpg

Are you all CRAZY???? You people are amazingly self-deluded, at least when it comes to taking photographs of other people or having photos taken of yourself! The reality is, much as I learned at age seven from my first grade nun Sister Amobiolus at Sacred Heart Elementary School, that taking a photograph of someone steals some of their soul energy, and, in fact, many Native American traditions and some other traditional religions believe that just one photograph can steal the entire soul.
Ooops.... I was talking on my cell phone when I read your message and in shock at the news I accidentally clicked the camera button and captured some of your soul.... errrr, I mean your image....

vinnysoul1.jpg

My bad...... :rolleyes:

AAARRRGGHHH! I feel weak.... weak... weaker.... falling..

I have one of those. I also have a gorilla pod. Around here the gorilla pod has some advantages on disadvantageous trails.
I have a nice mono-pod that extends to make what's a pretty nice hiking stick and even has a mini-tripod base hidden below the bumper on the bottom. Been trying to get myself to take it but my regular hiking stick cries when I leave it alone in the Jeepster....
AAARRRGGHHH! I feel weak.... weak... weaker.... falling..
Shouldn't that be "Look what you've done! I'm melting! melting!..." ? :rolleyes:

"Oh, you liquidated her (him?), eh? Very resourceful!"..... :huh: