12V usb power for motorbike

gallet

I know this has been discussed but the "search" function never works for me even when I use the '+' signs.

I'm wanting to attach a cigarette lighter power supply to my motorbike to plug in my Colorado. It has an 11Ah 12V battery. I'm going to get it done by an auto electrician so I was wondering what is the *best* way to go about wiring it up?

thx.

That kinda depends on a lot of things. In my case (mounted on a dual sport) water proofing and durability were key factors. I potted mine in a solid brick (special compound used in aerospace applications for potting electronics used in high vibration, heat, and waterborne environments). You are more than likely mounting yours on a cruser or a sport bike. On a cruser, cosmetics and water proofness will be you major concerns. Make sure your cigarette lighter has a cap that you can use for "rainey days". On a sport bike vibration will be more of a concern than water proofness (I don't know many crotch rocket pilots that ride in the rain), so you might want to consider epoxieing the lighter and adaptor together and mounting them under the seat (with just the wire to power your GPSr going up to your handelbars.

I know this has been discussed but the "search" function never works for me even when I use the '+' signs.

I'm wanting to attach a cigarette lighter power supply to my motorbike to plug in my Colorado. It has an 11Ah 12V battery. I'm going to get it done by an auto electrician so I was wondering what is the *best* way to go about wiring it up?

thx.

I bought a lighter-to-USB power converter for $0.99 on Amazon (they're just a penny now, so you basically get them for just the shipping cost) and use it for my phone's travel charger. You can get a fused bare-end-wire lighter receptacle at any auto supply store. Wire in the receptacle to your 12v supply, and plug in the USB converter, and you're done. A few wraps of electrical tape will ensure the converter stays put in the plug.

Edited by Prime Suspect